iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mix $98 and some Wood-Mizer sawn red oak, stir well, viola!

Started by Pete J, May 31, 2005, 07:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

Driving home last week, there was an old aluminum boat for sale by the side of the road. It needed new seats to replace the old rotten ones. I offered $98. It was all I had in my wallet. She was glad to get rid of it, and I'm glad to have it. It's also good to have a friend with a Wood-Mizer. Some CT grown red oak and 4 coats of spar varnish later, done!

The new S.S. LogRite is about to cast off.

Another shot

The LogRite pond

crtreedude

Very nice!

Okay, don't hold back - what kind of fish are in the pond?

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

rbarshaw

:)In the bottom pic., that wouldn't be the SS Logrite flipped over in that there pond ;D wood ;D It?  :D :)
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Pete J

Quote from: crtreedude on May 31, 2005, 07:56:37 PM
Very nice!

Okay, don't hold back - what kind of fish are in the pond?

Fred

Nothing but minnows and 3" long large mouth bass. The whole pond is less than 3' deep and it freezes with about 18" of ice in the winter. None of the big boys seem to survive.

I need to dredge a hole so they can live through the winter, but how?

Pete J

Quote from: rbarshaw on May 31, 2005, 08:45:23 PM
:)In the bottom pic., that wouldn't be the SS Logrite flipped over in that there pond ;D wood ;D It?  :D :)

That was the "OLD" boat. The new one is UNSINKABLE!

Unless you put it in water..........

Furby

Pete J

Quote from: Furby on June 01, 2005, 08:24:56 PM
Where do the 3" LMB come from ???

I'm not a scientist, but it seems to me that there must be some mature 4" breeder lmb's lurking around somewhere. There must be a hole that they hide in, but I've yet to find it.

crtreedude

Perhaps not - a lot of times fish eggs are transferred by birds. If there are larger ponds nearby, you could be getting fertilized eggs from other ponds.

And then again, perhaps I read too much.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Furby

johncinquo

I can tell ya a cheap but effective "dredge" system if your interested.  Yer gonna get wet though!  How deep you can go depends on how deep of a hole you want and how tall you are.  (or how long you can hold your breath, though I do not recommend that approach) 
You have to build a set up out of PVC or preferabley steel that essentially creates a Venturi effect.  Your gonna have to pull out the 8th grade science book, cause it gets long winded to explain.  make it log enough so that you can stand on the bottom and still reach the bottom of the hole you want.
Get a water pump, gas powered.  Put the In line inclear water.  Run the out line to your new venturi dredge.  The water is pumped out the line, through your dredge, this creates a vacuum at the bottom of the dredge which sucks up the sand, dirt, whatevers on the bottom.  The force then pushes the water/sand mix out your end line and deposits wherever the end of the line is. 
It sounds a little weird, but works great!  You are not using a "trash" pump. because only clear water passes through your pump.  I will see if I can get my dad to send me more inx on how the venturi is built.  He has moved 10's of thousands of cubic yards of lake bottom with it for docks, beaches, slips, channels.  You can often not get a permit to bring in sand or equipment to alter lakefronts, but you can move what is already there around.   Ive seen a mucky lakefront with no boat access turned into a nice sandy beach with a boat slip in a couples days time. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!