iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live reporting from Sawlex

Started by populus, May 31, 2005, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

populus

For those of you not coming (sorry, Chet) to Sawlex, Jeff and I have plans to keep you informed. I will be posting stories and pictures from Sawlex directly from the Forestry Forum booth in the exhibit hall. These will be posted on my weblog, Tree Trends, and I will put links to each story in this thread. We will also try to set up a webcam for live pictures. So, check this thread during Sawlex for the latest!

Thanks to Jeff and to Ted Hugger for helping set this up.

DanG

That sounds like a lot of fun, but scarey at the same time.  I mean, I'll never live it down if the webcam catches me picking my nose or something. :o :-[
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Dont worry, its only a moment in time. The photo will over-write itself every minute. THere will never be more then one photo at a time.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

OH!  So I can pick my nose and nobody will ever know. WHEW! ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

QuoteDont worry, its only a moment in time. The photo will over right it self every minute. THere will never be more then one photo at a time.

Well.... unless someone was running a webcam recording program....  smiley_idea  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Do you know how ti do that Ian??

Ianab

yeah.. I'm sure I've got a little freeware program here someplace...   ??? ::)
I just need to point it at the webcam page, it watches for when the pic changes, and saves a copy, you just end up with hundreds of jpgs with time / date names in a folder. Sort thru em later looking for the incrimanating ones. ;)
If you let me know where the webcam page is going to be I'll run a test on it when I get a chance.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Ian, the webpage can be accessed using the link above next to news that says "Forestry Forum Webcam"

Also, the photo should be available here when set up. What you will see right now is the webcam set up as a test pointing at my driveway.

populus

Looks great. Thanks, Jeff and Ian. We'll get it set up at Sawlex and Friday morning.

GF

Way to go Jeff and all, I would have like to went but will be out of town that weekend and the following week, this will give me the next best thing to being there.

DanG

You sure that thing is working? ???  I been watching and that truck ain't moved all morning.  Does it even run?

Jeff

It'll be moving shortly. I gotta turn it around and start putting some things in the back.  How come yer still home? Hit the road buddy! ;)

Texas Ranger

Humph, truck still aint moved, them boys up there move slower than an Arkansas retired governor. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Dont know what yer talking about there Don, truck as moved a couple times.

Larry

I just looked and there is a WM towing the truck around.:D  DanG is probably right about the truck not working. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

Yep.  Truck is gone.  Jeff must be out for ice-cream  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Quote from: OneWithWood on June 01, 2005, 03:43:26 PM
Yep.  Truck is gone.  Jeff must be out for ice-cream  :)

I wish. :-\ Try Physical Therapy, now its parked in the back to unload hit and miss and load up supplies for tomorrow.  I'm goona bring the soviet chainsaw along so people can get a look at it. :)

OneWithWood

Uh, Jeff, don't they make you lift your arm and rotate your wrist and stuff like that in PT?  Seems to me you could practice all that with a tub of IC in front of you.  'Course you could forget about ever gettin' in the truck again  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ianab

Cool... I'll do a test run this afternoon when I get home  :)

Jeff

It'll be dark  :D  actually, the cam is down now until we (hopefully) get it up at sawlex. I have it packed now and ready to go.

Ianab

I'm sure I can find something to test it on  ;)

Furby

Isn't it going to be hard for you to keep an eye on Ianab?
I mean the time differance and all, or does the program have some type of timer?

Ianab

Recorder is running now.  ;)

It looks at the pic every 30 seconds, but only downloads / saves if the time stamp on the file has changed. So I'll just leave it running, if the camera doesn't update it just loops untill something happens.

Ian

Kirk_Allen

WERE HERE 8) 8) 8) 8)
Jeff & Tammy
Buzzsawyer
StumpJumper and family

If you didnt make it your missing out!

Got to run the Peterson mill today!  More to come.  Time to eat! 

populus

Good evening. We have arrived near Niles and are ready for the morning. Nice to see that some of you are here. Kirk, I am really jealous that you got your hands on the Peterson already. Tomorrow it will probably be like Disneyland - everyone in line for the favorite rides.

I have started up the Tree Trends Sawlex blog. Just go to Tree Trends Sawlex for updates. Of course, I don't have much to say until tomorrow morning!

populus

We've arrived at Sawlex and set up in the Forum booth. The first post is up at the Tree Trends Sawlex page.

Paul_H

I've enjoyed watching the webcam this morning.Right now Tom is sitting at the table and am pretty sure I saw DanG a little earlier.

8)

Yup,Tom just waved for the camera.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Yup, I see the red shirt and white halo too, so must be Tom.

Great set-up.  And I thought I would get something done today !! ::) ::) ??? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

:D I know I should have been out the door 15 minutes go

Webcam Link

beenthere

And Tom holding up a sign that has "CHET" on it.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

populus

Gilman

If the DanG FF wasn't distracting enough  >:( Now there's a live cam too.

Who are the two women sitting at the table with Jeff? And the two fellers in the back?

Anyone know what the sign said?

Thanks for the link Populus, I can pretend a little bit that I'm there too  :)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Bibbyman

Looks like there just hanging out where the food and drinks are. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Paul_H

Jeff's wife Tammy is the blonde and I believe the women in the Hat is Tammy(Logrite Brownie Lady)
And looks like StumpJumper in the White hat behind Jeff.

beenthere

I think FF hired a couple models to do some stand-in for them, just to get some visibility. ;D

Well done, I might add.
south central Wisconsin

Paschale

that's pretty fun--I recognize a few folks from the pig roast!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

D._Frederick

Woodmizer said they would have a new model there to show, anybody see it?

populus

Yes, the LT-10 is here. I'll try to get a picture.

beenthere

The position of the camera has changed, and the focus also seemed to change. We'll see if they are on top of it.  :)

Great to see who will keep that chair warmed up by the sign-in table. Amazing how many I recognize, and even how many names I can fit to the faces. I hope the names resemble the faces  :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin

populus

Shotgun

Good thing you moved the cam away from the wood slice table and chair.  The same guy was in that chair most of the afternoon.   ;D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

populus

Activity is tapering off. We'll shut down the web cam soon and start up in the morning. I'll post some more pictures on my weblog tonight.

Ianab

Grr   >:( ... webcam recorder glitched out overnight. I've fiddled with the settings this morning and grabbed a few good shots.
See how it goes tonight / tomorrow  ::)

Looks like a good turnout from all the different faces I've seen on the cam though  :)

Cheers

Ian

beenthere

Great job!!!!!  Well done!!!!
Thanks for allyour work for us.
south central Wisconsin

populus

Thanks, guys. Ian, we'll be back live tomorrow morning. 

We've had a great turnout, and the FF booth is one of the busiest areas of Sawlex.

Everyone else - if you see a picture that looks interesting, right click and choose "save as", then post it back to this thread of the forum. We are not presently saving any pictures, athough Ian is trying. I'm posting digital camera pictures on Tree Trends, but am not capturing web cam shots.

beenthere

There is a 'motionless' object on the screen now. He gonna set there all night like that?  ???  As I've heard said, inquiring minds wanna know  :)
south central Wisconsin

tnlogger

naw he's letting us know he's a watching us  :D

and all you at the show thanks.     8)almost   as good as being there.
gene

Quartlow

I think I managed to stay out of camera range most of the day  ;D

Ya'll missed a good time and some GREAT Brownies!!!  :D :D :D :D

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Bibbyman

All I get is this picture of this guy..  >:(

Is my IE setting wrong and it not reloading?
Sawing since '94

Ianab

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 03, 2005, 07:44:21 PM
All I get is this picture of this guy..  >:(

Is my IE setting wrong and it not reloading?

Jeff has graciously volunteered to stay at the booth all night and keep the webcam running.
If you look close you will probably see he's asleep though ;)

Paul_H

It is just a filler pic until they fire up the webcam again tomorrow,then there should be some more great pics.

Ianab,
I thought maybe his back locked up again  ;D

Ianab

A few captures that I got today.
Hopefully I'll get some more tonight, although I have to go out and cant keep an eye on things.
I'll leave it running and see what I get... probably 9,999 pictures of Jeff  :D

Cheers

Ian

Quartlow

boy am I glad that camera was out of focus
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jeff

What a great day! Should be just as good tomorrow! I'm bushed so will be heading to the room soon. Many of us are meeting tomorrow at the buffet breakfast spot across the road from the show in the morning, then heading over for the shootout. Probably wont be to much webcam activity until 11:00, after the shootout, but the cam will be turned on around 9. (forum time)

Jeff

OH! The sign that Tammy And Tammy are holding says "We miss you Chet and Judy".  earlier Tom was holding one up that said "Chet, eat your heart out", and they had a third one that said "Lunch Break"

Chet, I had nothing to do with it! I was busy loading up all those LogRite tools you wanted me to bring back. :)

beenthere

Hope you can hear the round of applause from those of us who couldn't be there, smiley_applause
but instead had the next best thing to it.   
Just can't help feelin' a little bit 'a part' of what was going on, thanks to the Cam. That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.   :)

Sure hope cktate's Kim has a comfortable night and will get to go home tomorrow. Maybe she will still have a good arm and side to be able to drag shingles over to ck so he can tack them down next week.

Have a great day tomorrow.
south central Wisconsin

pigman

Wish I could be there, but had things to do here at home. :'( I will be looking for the Friday pictures. 8) 
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Pete J

Great job with the web cam. I had it up on my computer most of the day. I looks like a great get together is happening right in front of our eyes. Keep up the good work.

pigman

Behind the scene at the web cam.    populus and Jeff on Friday

Populus working the computers and Jeff supervising ;)

populus

Thanks, Pigman!  The web cam is up and running, but nobody is here. I guess the pictures serve as proof that neither Jeff nor Tom spent the night!

pappy

Nobody around cause there was talk about getting together for breakfast and you know how much FF members like food  :D  they'll be around after there isn't anything left at the buffet table  :D  :D  :D

This web cam is great !!! thanks guys   smiley_thumbsup
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Paschale

Quote from: pappy on June 04, 2005, 09:25:36 AM
Nobody around cause there was talk about getting together for breakfast and you know how much FF members like food  :D  they'll be around after there isn't anything left at the buffet table  :D  :D  :D

How many of do you think had grits for breakfast?   :D  I think the REAL action at the Sawlex is taking place at breakfast--that's where I'd like to see the webcam next year.   ;) :D :D

Seriously, the webcam is fun.   8)

Wish I was there!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

populus

Next year we'll have a wireless web cam (Jeff may have one for the Pig Roast) so we can wander around.

populus

Shutting down the Webcam. Populus has to go home, so we're shutting down.  Saturday shootout pix are at Tree Trends

pigman

I can see the grits eaters are back from breakfast. ::)

beenthere

Hey, I can do that too, without the grits. ;D ;D :D
south central Wisconsin

Bibbyman

I eat my grits and went out and started sawing this morning.  Came in a minute to check out the web cam..

This is what I see. :o

Could you move the cam up some?  Please? ;D

Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Bibby, I was laughing over that webcam shot too. Looks like some well rounded fellas at Sawlex eh? Was there more than water in those bottles I wonder? ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Aparently all they did was stand around and block the cam.  smiley_headscratch

Has anyone reported on what saw they saw saw?
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Howdy all
Had a great time up there just to much information for this pea brain to take in.
Was great meeting everyone that I got to meet, feel like there were many I might have missed was just to much stuff to see and questions to ask to fit it all in.
Hope all make it home safe and sound.

Best of luck.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

populus

What saw I saw saw (great line Bibbyman). I have posted a description with pictures of the Saturday leg of the shootout at the Tree Trends Sawlex site . If anyone wants to add to my comments, you can do it here on on the Tree Trends comments. I'll get an account of Friday up tonight.

Thank You Sponsors!