iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help, Again

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 30, 2005, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Anybody got a sure fire way to catch Gar Fishes ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Haytrader

Haytrader

Jeff

The big ones? Alligator Gar?  Bow and Arrow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

We used to fish for them for sport when I was a boy.

1. take a piece of rope about 6 or 9 inches long.  Unravel one end and whip the other end, tying it on a spinning line.  dragging it through the water of the canals of S. Florida will interest a Gar in attacking it.  He will get his teeth ensnarled and you can land him like he was hooked.

2. A 22 rifle works good if you don't have the law around.  Standing on the bridges of the drainage canals, you can spot Gar from above in the clear water.

3. A spinning reel attached to a bow and the line to an arrow allows you to reel one of them in if you can hit him with the arrow.

I catch them with a small (#6) hook on a cane pole, using dead shrimp, worms or sometimes hot dog pieces in the creek behind the house.  You need a lot of patience and a little luck because their mouth is tough as bone.  

The big ones can be real scrappers.   Indian River and St. Lucie County have Gar as big around as your leg. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, that was quick.  ::) ;D

Know about all them ideas. Need a sure-fire way. Grenades will mess things up.  ::)  Bow shootin is too slow.  Tried the unraveled nylon rope trick. Too slow also.  Been wonderin about baitin 'em.

The bigger ones are what we are after.  Not Alligator Gar.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

The only other thing that might work is a seine.  I don't know what the rules would be though.

Jeff

Can you make noises like a female gar and swim fast?

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) We WANT the Females  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

What are you trying to do, Harold, go into the Shad bait business? :D :D   You gotta watch how many irons you get in the fire or you won't be able to stay in CR. :D

Buzz-sawyer

The best numbers of gar I ever caugh was when I was commercial fishing........a tremell net catches everyone that comes near...thier teeth get snagged in it.......I hated them because they fouled my nets and cut your fingers when you get them out
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Can't use nets, legally.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Kirk_Allen

We used mulet on a treble hook to catch gar in Mississipi years ago.  We cought some whoppers.  Had the best luck near the power plant water discharge. The water was very warm there and the gar claimed it as home. 

DanG

I knew you needed help, but I didn't know it had anything to do with gar. ???  You goin' in the caviar bidness 'r sumpin?

You sure shot down a lot of good ideas when you said "legal." :o ::)  I think you can still use a seine up to 100ft long, but check the law first. You may have to handle it from the shore rather than using a boat. Not sure.  The "net ban" laws are complex, so you need to study the rules and keep a copy with you.  Some of the law enforcement people aren't as familiar as they should be.

Now, whatcha want a bunch of female gar for?  Might as well go ahead and spill the beans.  I'll pick it out of ya between here and Ohio, anyway. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

From what I read, gar eggs are toxic to humans. If hes after females it seems it would to be for the eggs.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

CHARLIE

I used to go rabbit hunting in the orange groves of St. Lucie County.  I'd walk the high banks of the irrigation ditches and on hot afternoons, the gar would be floating just below the surface taking in the warm sun.  I'd blow them out of the water with a 12 guage shotgun.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o NOT a viable option, Charlie.  :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Blake22

Maybe you ought to swim down there along side of one & hook him like you do them big ole logs. But really that rope deal Mr. Tom

was refering to works as good as any that I know of. Legal that is.
Blake

jerry-m

Fish Styks ??? ??? ???

if so good luck on huling those suckers out... Think I'd rather peal a pine pole ;D

Once saw about 1000 or more in a bend of the Sabine river... All swiming  on top of the water,
if I had had a dip net could have fille the boat to over flowing... Never did figure out why they were concentrated like that, never saw it again ??? ??? ???

jerry
Jerry

slowzuki

Do you have electro fishers down there? I'm pretty sure they aren't legal though.   They use them for studies up here.  Turn them up enough and the fish and your buddy with leaky boots jump out of the river!

DanG

The Fish & Wildlife Commission uses them around here for the same purpose.  They'd probably frown on ol' Harold usin' their methods, though.   :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Teri

He wouldn't even tell ME this morning when I asked him.  >:(

We probably don't want to know.  :D :D :D

CHARLIE

Teri, don't be surprised to be fed a breakfast of fried gar fish, grits and biscuits some morning. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!