iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shindaiwa 488

Started by alderman, May 28, 2005, 06:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderman

I just picked up an almost new Shindaiwa 488 chainsaw with an extra chain and a case for $240. Previous owner had put about two hours on it.Is anybody else running this saw?  I would be interested in opinions from others.  Also was wondering if there would be any harm in running a 32:1 mix in this saw even though it calls for 50:1? :P

sawguy21

Probably will smoke and lose a bit of power. You will be decarboning more often too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

twostroke_blood

I stopped into a rental place the other day to pick up an oil filter for my vangaurd motor on my saw mill. Anyway, they sell and rent Shindaiwa Chainsaws, and the most popular model is the 488. They told me that these Shindaiwa saws are very tuff. As rentals they really get abused. They also told me that a customer purchased a model 757 to use on a chainsaw mill, and he's very please with it. I think the 757 is only 73cc , but the thing is running a 36" bar, and getting the job done. The other thing I found interesting is that they run "Optimol universal oil" in all their rental stuff, I think its a 50:1 mix, it comes in a little plastic envelope. I grabbed a handfull of Optimol packets, I figure if they have enough confidence in the stuff to run it in all their rental equipment, it must be good. 

rahtreelimbs

The 488 is a real good solid saw but dated in it's design. I have a lot of time running a 488 and am pleased with the saw. This 488 I modified myself with pretty good results. The real hold back on the newer 488's is the fixed jet carb. The 488 will only run at 12,500 but will easily turn 13,500 with a fully adjustable carb!

The 757 is a good solid saw too but is over weight and doesn't spin very fast. The specs. say 13,500 but my experience with the saw shows it to be lower. The 757 is however great on torque for a stock saw. I run a 32" bar and full skip chain on mine with good results.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

alderman

The 488 arrived this afternoon.  A bit hard to start initially but I'm assuming that was due to no fuel in the carb.  Once it took hold it ran great.  A bit zippier than what I'm used to.  Light weight should make it a pleasure for cutting wood this fall. 8) Now to read the manual. :P

sawguy21

Twostroke, the Optimol is designed to be mixed at 100:1 and that is what I use in my Husky 345and small Skil. I was nervous at first but have had zero problems with it. Is the rental yard mixing it at 50:1?

twostroke_blood

Im not sure :D, they use the "plastic envelope/pouch" one to a gallon of gas

sawguy21

The pouch to a U.S. gallon is probably around 80:1.  I mix it with 5 litres, just over an imperial gallon.

Thank You Sponsors!