iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Posting Photos

Started by DanG, May 28, 2005, 09:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

THIS TUTORIAL HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH AN UPDATED TUTORIAL FOUND HERE

Note from Forestry Forum Administration

The Forestry Forum no longer allows linking to photos on other web sites. 

Photos used on the Forestry Forum must reside on the Forestry Forum Servers.
Photos used on this Forum may only be used with permission of the photo's owner,
unless it already resides in the Forestry Forum Gallery.

Please use this tutorial to learn how to place your photos within your gallery.
-explanation of creation of an album in your gallery-
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12936.msg180416#msg180416

Photos uploaded to the Forestry Forum that are used within a post must not
ever be deleted!

Here's how to  post your pics.  If I make any boo-boos, you admins feel free to make corrections. :)

First you need to resize and compress your pic.  I use the image optimizer found at  www.xat.com .  They have a 30 day free trial, but the program remains in your puter and is usable after that.  Tips on using it:

Cropping your image will greatly reduce the image size.(number of pixels)  Crop as close as you can without losing the integrity of the subject. This way, you won't have to reduce quality so much and will post a clearer pic.

Close and re-open your pic after each step.  It makes it easier.  If you don't, you'll be working with an image smaller than a postage stamp. ::) :D

Resize your image next.  I'm still using limits of 350x350 pixels. Jeff can tell us if that has been liberalized, but it seems to give me a nice sized image.

Compress the image by reducing image quality.  You shouldn't have to reduce it much if you have cropped well.  Here again, I'm still using the old limit of 20kb, but the limit may be higher now.

When saving your image to your puter, only use hyphens or dashes for spaces and never ever use !@#$%^&*()+":;?   
As they are all illegal naming characters.

You should now have a postable image in your folder. (in your computer)  You're finished with the image optimizer now, and are ready to upload the image into your gallery.

Assuming you've already started the post you want to add a photo to,  click on "Additional options" below the box you're typing in. (You can also go directly to your gallery before beginning your post.)   This will take you to the Forum Gallery, so you have to click "My Gallery" to get into your own collection.  Once there, click on "Upload Image".  Here you will see five Browse buttons. Poke one of them and it will take you back to your folders where you click the image that you already optimized. Click the "Open" button, then you'll have to hit "Continue" a few times until it takes you back to the Forum Gallery.  A thumbnail of your image should be there among the new images, or you can return to your own gallery and see the same thumbnail pic.

Now here is where most people seem to get lost, so LISTEN UP! ;)  Double click that thumbnail and you'll get the real photo.  Just below and to the left of it, you'll see "Copy Image Code" and when you poke that it will highlight the image code below the pic.  You're done with the gallery at this point.

All that's left is to return to your post, position the cursor where you want the pic, click Edit, then Paste, and the image code will appear in your post.  When you post it to the Forum, the photo will be there.  You won't see the photo while you're typing, just the image code.

I hope this helps some of you.  We really like to see pics of you and your stuff. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tnlogger

DanG thanks for doing this 8) I was thinking about it and just way too lazy to get it done. :D
gene

Buzz-sawyer

GOOD SHOW DANG I AM ADDING SOME PICS TO YOUR FINE EXPLAINATION.......IT TAKES A WHILE TO GET THIS DONE SO ITS WORK IN PROGRESS RIGHT NOW we can further refine our text and pics to make this fool proof????

Here's how to  post your pics.  If I make any boo-boos, you admins feel free to make corrections.

First you need to resize and compress your pic.  I use the image optimizer found at  www.xat.com .  They have a 30 day free trial, but the program remains in your puter and is usable after that.  Tips on using it:

Cropping your image will greatly reduce the image size.(number of pixels)  Crop as close as you can without losing the integrity of the subject. This way, you won't have to reduce quality so much and will post a clearer pic.

Close and re-open your pic after each step.  It makes it easier.  If you don't, you'll be working with an image smaller than a postage stamp. 

Resize your image next.  I'm still using limits of 350x350 pixels. Jeff can tell us if that has been liberalized, but it seems to give me a nice sized image.

Compress the image by reducing image quality.  You shouldn't have to reduce it much if you have cropped well.  Here again, I'm still using the old limit of 20kb, but the limit may be higher now.

When saving your image to your puter, only use hyphens or dashes for spaces and never ever use !@#$%^&*()+":;?   
As they are all illegal naming characters.

You should now have a postable image in your folder. (in your computer)  You're finished with the image optimizer now, and are ready to upload the image into your gallery.
When you start a post this box will appear ,  click on "Additional options" below the box you're typing in.

Then click on ,"Click here for member photo gallery"

Next look to the upper right for ,"Upload file" click it

This will take you to the Forum Gallery,  "Upload Image".  Here you will see five Browse buttons. Poke one of them and it will take you back to your computer where you stored the image that you already optimized.

Click the "Open" button, then you'll have to hit "Continue" a few times until it takes you back to the Forum Gallery.  A thumbnail of your image should be there among the new images, or you can return to your own gallery and see the same thumbnail pic.

Now here is where most people seem to get lost, so LISTEN UP!   Double click that thumbnail and you'll get the real photo.  Just below and to the left of it, you'll see "Copy Image Code" and when you poke that it will highlight the image code below the pic.  You're done with the gallery at this point.

All that's left is to return to your post, position the cursor where you want the pic, click Edit, then Paste, and the image code will appear in your post.  When you post it to the Forum, the photo will be there.  You won't see the photo while you're typing, just the image code.

I hope this helps some of you.  We really like to see pics of you and your stuff.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Before uploading photos to your gallery, you must first have an album to put them in. Once you create an album, you are ready to upload. Go up and click the "image Archive" button to get started. This opens a window with your Gallery page in it.

If you have never created an album look for this:

Click on the Create / order my albums and you will see this:

Click the "New" button, you will then see text that says "New Album". Edit that text in the lower box such as I did in this example. Mine says "Jeff's sawmill photos".

Then click "Apply modifications".

You have now created an album and have a place to upload photos to. Now just look for the "Upload file" link
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Jeff,  now that I've got some pictures in my gallery,  I'd like to better orginize them by making some new albums and moving pictures from the main one I got to another.

Is that possable?   ::)

Will the posts where they're shown now not have the pictures linked?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

No, it is not possible.  If you do, you will break all the links to your photos.  I had a member delete his entire album last month and cause broken links throughout the forum. Luckily he had backup on his computer, and after me jumping him, he spen a whole bunch of time, which I appreciate, restoring things.  In the thread about the gallery, I say that I wont stand for people deleting photos. Once you use them, they are there.  My alternative for this software is to set it so I have to approve each action. I DONT want to do that.

I suggest you start being neat from this point on. :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff B on June 30, 2005, 02:52:27 PM

I suggest you start being neat from this point on. :)

You say that like you never change anything..   ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Bib, if you make additional albums you can place a picture from an existing album into the new one without breaking links.

Go into My Albums, click edit files and you'll see a drop down lister with your album names and you can change what album that file resides in. I've done it and it doesn't break the link because the url doesn't include the album name, just the user's ID number.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JP

Ok i can post 1 picture into my post but im having trouble with the 2ed ,3rd one---JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

Jeff

JP,  simply go back to your gallery and select the code for the next picture, then come back to your post and paste the code in where you want the photo to appear.  You can do this as many times as you can stand it. :D   Holler back if I mixed you up.

ohsoloco

I was trying to optimize some pictures just now, and I can't figure out how to rotate pictures using xat.  I can't see why it wouldn't let you do that.  Does anyone know how it's done  ???

Tom

It's not available on the "free" version.

What I do is use one of the photo programs like Adobe or PictureIt or HP Photosmart  or something like that.  I do all of my picture adjustments of contrast, lightening, darkening, cropping turning, retouching and all that with my favorite photo program. 

Then I save that copy of the changed photo to a folder of stuff that I want to optimize.  I even rename it.   

Then I load xat and optimize that picture for putting on the forum or for emailing or whatever.

That way I still have the original saved in it's little folder and I can find the optimized ones if I need them later.

Corley5

You can also crop and rotate after you've loaded them to your FF album.  Click on the pic to open it and under it is a crop and rotate button that opens the photo editor
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ohsoloco

Corley5, that worked like a charm, thanks  ;D

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

davemartin88

Was able to get one picture to post but getting a message saying my "pixel allowance" is exceeded. The file was compressed on only 14K with xat as suggested but looks like something else is coming in to play.

SwampDonkey

It must have exceded 350 pixels wide or tall. Shrink it a bit to less than 350 pixels. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Actually 400 or less is the limit but 400 is hard to crunch the file size. 350 seems about perfect so is the recommendation.

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

highpockets

I have been trying to get photos in my message fgr some time.  There is a little note below my photos in my galery that states.  "Click to copy photo insertion code"  but that doesn't make the photo show up. I finally highlighted and copied the location code and made it work.  I pray that other folks are smarter than I am and have less trouble than I do.

Louisiana Country boy

Jeff

BINGO! You did it! :D

That only copies it. You then have to paste it in your post. :)  It may not even copy it if you are using something other then Internet explorer. Making posting photos hard is actually, pretty much, my hobby. ;D

Jim Haslip

There mght be something about the settings on your machine which doesn't allow you to use the "click here to copy the code".
I found the code on the page which is supposed to snag it
  href="javascript:selectThis('preSpan1')">Click to copy photo insertion code

and the code requires "javascript" to be able to do that. 

There are about 20% of computer users on the Internet that do not have javascript or do not have it enabled, so this feature might not be working on your machune because of that.
The reason lots of users disable javascript is because there are some nasty things which "can" occur if it is used un-wisely or with bad intentions, so I do not recommend enabling it for that reason.  You are better off simply using the 'cut and paste' method.

In My Humble Opinion.

isassi

Ok, I am not the sharpest tack when it comes to computers...I downloaded the image optimizer DanG posted, and I can crop to get the file size correct, but it is in j-pag...and won't go..now what? My pictures are in real time? from my camara and my profile picture went up ok...so what am I doing wrong???? ???

SwampDonkey

Change the percentage of compression in your Jpeg. Is there a field to adjust the compression setting, or a slider. I sometimes have to go down to 50 % compression. Your file size has to be under 30 kbytes remember. ;D