iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG bears

Started by Fraxinus, May 27, 2005, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraxinus

Just discovered this in my back yard this morning.

DanG things is entirely too tame for my liking.
>:(
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Doc

I can't hardly see what he did in that picture, but it looks like he was knawing on your post.

I think you ought to feed him, and keep him as a pet.... :D :D :D :D

Doc

Fraxinus

Oh he was gnawing all right.  See the pile of splinters on the ground?
I definitely will feed him if I have a chance.  Look on the periodic table under the symbol of Pb.   ;) ;)  Shouldn't take but a small amount.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Doc

Did you find any foot prints out there? How big do you think the rascal was that did that to your posts?

Doc

Buzz-sawyer

A little lead pioson pill...........and a comfy rug and BBQ all in your back yard.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fraxinus

Didn't find any prints.  Maybe not a big one, although there is a huge one around.  My brother has seen 5 different ones in his yard this spring.  One is a sow with 3 yearling cubs.  They are very thick around here.

Jeff

I'm hoping for a permit this year, I am way past due. This photo was taken at the cabin last weekend by my sister. They kept finding bear tracks in thier quad tracks all week end. They filled up the spin feeder and found this the next morning. Those poles are 6 by 6 and were cemented in the ground over 3 feet deep and were good and square. The cement was below the ground level. You can see at the bottom of the poles, that the bear (bears?) managed to rack it enough back and forth to get the cement several inches out of the ground before they gave up. They'll be back.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

gary

That post does look pretty tame to me .  Try putting hot sauce on it . I use that a lot to keep wild critters away from things. It works good for some animals  others seem to like a little bit with their snacks

Jeff

The neighbor across the road from the cabin was having trouble with them tearing down the bird feeders and suet balls that hang from the porch ceilings on the house. The porch wraps around the house.  He decided to get a can of pepper spray, smear it in peanut butter, roll it in seeds, and hang that up. The very next night a heck of a commotion and howl woke him up. He got up in time to just see the bear butt disappearing out of the light from the mercury light.  He bit clean through the pepper spray. Lou put out another the next night with the same results.  A very upset bear.

The third night, all was quite. Lou got up and checked his trap. All the peanut butter had been licked off and the pepper spray canister was intact.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

etat

:)

Quotesuet balls that hang from the porch ceilings

Just a 'little' bit confused.  Whatever it's for I've never even heard of?
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Ok, I looked it up.  Something to feed birds.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fraxinus

Quote from: Jeff B on May 27, 2005, 03:29:15 PM
I'm hoping for a permit this year

Permit?  What permit?  ;) ;)  Only permit I need is one I give myself.  That and the 3S thing. :o :o
Please come to NH and shoot all you want.  You can set up camp out in my lower field (out of sight!).  I'll put out a couple handfuls of sunflower seeds.  They'll walk right up to where you are.  Just keep shooting until there ain't any more.

David_c

you need a permit in NH to hunt bear. if you are having continuous problms talk with fish and game and get a nusiance permit. or talk with some houndsmen see if they would be willing to come do some training both hounds and bear. joke or not dont much care for the comment of come kill all you want. i'm a houndsmen and try to hunt bear.

crtreedude

We had a deer problem in a garden once - the deer would jump over any fence so my dad put up an  electric one - single wire. I couldn't imagine why that would stop a deer. Then he took aluminum foil and attached to the wire and smeared peanut butter on it.

Can you imagine the reaction of the deer when it reached out and licked an electric fence!  :o

The deer wouldn't even come close to the garden anymore.  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

David_c

crtreedude your farther is a wise man. I would have loved to see that.

Fraxinus

Quote from: David_c on May 27, 2005, 08:19:41 PM
you need a permit in NH to hunt bear.
Yes, you need a license in NH to hunt bear.  I believe Jeff was referring to a lottery like we have here for moose.  Anybody can get a bear license here, as far as I know.
I'm not serious when I say that all bears should be killed.  But maybe you haven't had the history with bears that my family has had.  It goes back well over 100 years.  I don't even hunt bear or anything else lately.  But I'm DanG sure going to protect my property and my family from bears any way I see fit.  I have little grandchildren around here and they are a whole lot more important to me than any bear, I don't care if it's the last one on earth.
The kids at the Lin-Wood school in Lincoln aren't allowed to play on the playground lots of days because there is a bear who camps out right there in town and hangs around the woods near the school.
And the last thing I would do is to get the Fish $ Game involved.  (The $ is not a mistype.)  The stories I could tell.  Let's just say that, IMO, they are not honorable people whose mission it is to serve the public.  They are only looking out for their own interests...not even that of the wildlife.  Remember that story of the fellow who shot the bear in Shelburne last year?  The one that kept charging at him?  Made my blood boil the way F$G treated that man.  Didn't surprise me because I've had the same treatment from the.
When you've had one inside your house, it changes your whole perspective.  I have and so has one of my brothers.
If you want to come here and run bears with your dogs, you will have the permission of me and anyone else in my family.  Send me a PM if you like.

sawguy21

We had a lot of bear problems where I lived in central British Columbia. The buggers would come into town tearing up garbage cans and stealing pet food (and pets). I had to keep the fallen apples cleaned  up. Children and people out walking had to be very watchful.
I almost hit one on the way to work. It slipped coming down the bank and rolled out on the highway in front of me. Went right back up the bank at mach 1
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

David_c

Fraxinus I was in no way shape or form saying any bear is more important than any living person especially children. I like you would do anything to protect mine. as for fish & game they sure have there fualts i will addmit to that. but lets just say you kill anything without there permission, or say you shoot one and dont report for whatever reason and someone reports you you will have far more trouble than jumping trew there hoops. I appreciate the offer to come up. 

Fraxinus

Like I said, I don't hunt them.  When they leave me alone, I have no intention of bothering them.  There's thousands of acres of  National Forest and plenty of private land, some owned by my family, that they are welcome to use in the way bears have always used to make a living.  But when they get that friendly and think they can come here and do whatever they want, they better put themselves on notice that my patience has a limit. :D :D
What town do you live in, David_c?

David_c

Richmond Just south of Keene. how about you?

Fraxinus

Thornton.  Just south of the notch.  (Franconia Notch, that is)

David_c

nice area :)love it up there. dont get up there nearly enough.

Thank You Sponsors!