iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where are the logs?

Started by woodman, July 03, 2002, 10:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman

I have  been staying with my son in Plainfield IL. we have been going all over the place and of all the trees i have seen not one good log  a lot of corn but no logs flat land flat flat corn and more corn but no logs where is the forest around here.
Jim Cripanuk

Tom

You have to get in front of the loggers and portable sawmills. :D :D

If you follow them, all you see is corn, unless you come south, then you see rows and rows of pine seedlings. ;D

Bro. Noble

Woodman,

Reminds me of a time we were driving through central Iowa.

Saw a pullover for a SCENIC VIEW.  Needed to stretch our legs, so we pulled over.  All we could see was corn.  Finally figured the SV was a little hump with a half dozen scraggly trees on it.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

I was at a large mill outside of St Louis a few years ago.  They had plenty of nice logs.  A lot of walnut and red oak.  They stretched right into Illinois for their log supply.

Finding timber in flat land is a lot different than in other areas.  Here in PA, you can see most of the forested areas while driving around.  When you find a promising area, you get out of your truck and walk around.  Most times, you don't even get shot at.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Woodman, take a drive up and around into Michigans U.P., cross the Big Mac bridge, drive on through Northern Lower Michigan on your way back to Illinois. I promise you you will see enough trees and logs to make up for those flat states. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

There`s a saying ...

"can`t see the forest for the corn"

or something like that.

ARKANSAWYER

After I crossed the Arkansas line I did not see a chicken / turkey truck or a log truck.  The only logs I saw on the ground was at Terrys house where I swapped cedar for popular and at a new housing site in Indy and they were throwing them logs in a trash container.  Jeff and I found a hickory tree by the motel with horns on the nuts but were told that it was a Ohio Buckeye.  If I had won the mill I would have pulled them logs out of the trash can and sawed them up.
   Macurtis and I could not find out why at WM the bulk of their lumber came from circle mills.  Finaly Macurtis foune out that there were no band mills who could get logs and supply them enough.  Wife said it was to far for me to ship and we were not leaving these hills.
  They do do things different up North.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Sawyerfortyish

Try looking along the rivers in Illinios can't imagine corn feilds on a flood plain  ;)but Iv'e heard that along the rivers you can dig down several feet around a tree before cutting it off at the roots 8)

Norm

I'll try to get a shot of the log yard where my friend who drives a logging truck works. Right now they are not cutting a lot because of the economy being slow, but there is a huge pile of assorted oaks, walnut and cherry waiting to be exported. The lesser hardwoods are sliced up to make pallets at their plant. If you drive on the interstates you will see mostly row crops but if you get off on the back roads there are plenty of trees. The  same ideal growing conditions for corn also does the same for trees. Actually most of our corn is bigger than the trees they grow south of us and being a gentleman I won't tell the jokes about Missorians, or Arkansan's. The shot I included is of a huge red oak tree with one of our wood plots that we have on our farm.

Bro. Noble

Norm,

Arkansawyer has hounds that could lift their hind legs and wet that bush plum to the first limb, and I'm surs.  (surs is the one syllable word they use for serious in Arkansas)

Noble

Ron Wenrich

Hey woodman

I did a little bit of snooping  :P around on the Net and found that Plainfield is only 35 miles from Chicago.  How much woodland is there in that area?  Mainly suburban is my guess.

My experience is that you have to go to local sawmills to get a feel for the timber in the area.  For a list of Illinois sawmills, go here:  http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/forestry/2002/SAWMILL.htm

There's a small mill over in Flossmore.

There are 4.9 million acres of timber in Illinois.  Forest related industries employ 65,000 people, have annual payroll of $1.9 million, and contribute over $4.5 billion annually to the State's economy through value added by manufacturing   Other Illinois forest facts at:  http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/forestry/Fact.htm
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

HORSELOGGER

Woodman, you are only about 2 hours from me, as I am in the Rockford area. Come see me and  Ill show you some of my veneer cherry and walnut ill be harvesting this fall.  Trees all over here, just goota know where to look, and they aint them crap 1 inch a year growth ring hardwoods from down in misatucky or whereever( down where noble says they like to let the occasional yankee intermarry to get some new genetics in the family or something like that ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Bro. Noble

Horse logger,

No it's money we get out of the intermarring!

We got plenty of ticks already-----seed ticks and yearlings,  dogtics,  deer ticks.

What's gene tics??

Noble

HORSELOGGER

Its that nervous twitch in uncle genes face! :D
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

woodman

Horselogger i look for you on the forestry map but you are not there.
Jim Cripanuk

HORSELOGGER

I am in the north central part of the state. lookfor the intersection of interstsates 90 and 39, Rockford, I am 15 miles west of there.

woodman

I'm going to look at the map tomorow to find it.
Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!