iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulp wood question

Started by Quebecnewf, May 25, 2005, 06:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

If one is logging in softwood there will be lots of pulpwood produced. What is "pulpwood" is it just logs that are too small to saw are you allowed to put in logs that are partly rotten or red in the heart. Do you have to seperate the spruce from the fir.

What is pulpwood worth roughly per cord or ton in say Eastern Canada???

sprucebunny

How far away is the closest place that buys it ? Trucking could eat up alot of the value.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Aroostooksawyer

Here in Northern Maine I don't  have to separate fir from spruce.The pulp mills will take redrot logs and also trees that have some degree of decay,as long as the tree won't break in half from the grapple loader.Lots off times you will cut a fir down and stump is redrot so I cut 1st 12 feet for pulp and usually whitens up at 12 feet but not always.Also can be white at butt and sometimes go red in middle of tree. then rest of tree down to 4"will go for studwood to the big mill or I will saw  on the Woodmizer.Although I also saw redrot into paneling nice figure (redish streaks instead of a plain white board)redrot is not good for framing lumber very weak.Pulpwood this last winter was $87.50 per cord US dollars and Stud wood down to 4" top was $127.50 per cord.Cord is by weight not scaled. Green (cut alive not dead) Balsam fir is 1000 pounds heavier  to the cord over Spruce.The pulp mills take pulp logs down to 4" tops.

Ron Scott

Pulpwood is roundwood, whole tree chips, or wood residues that are used for the production of wood pulp in the manufacturing of paper and allied products.

It is usually the smaller size roundwood and topwood and trees not making sawlog standards.

Check with the pulpmill (paper mill) that you will be selling to for their specific species and procurement standards for the pulpwood they use.

~Ron

Aroostooksawyer

The mill around here calls a pulpwood cord 4500 pounds.

FiremanEd

Hardwood pulp is going for around $32/ton delivered, softwood about $33/ton if you get set up with the big mills for direct sales and volume of 10 trailer loads a week. If you take to to a local buyer they're both paying about $19-20/ton. The difference is the lcoal buyer is 7 miles away and the pulp plant that's paying $33 is 119miles.

Bad part is they're all buying on quota until around July 1st. They're full.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

SwampDonkey

Quebecnewf,

Go to our marketing board site for prices at mills in New Brunswick, eastern Quebec and Maine. There are also some specs posted.

www.cvwpa.ca
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Check with the pulp mills for specs on the wood.

In Minnesota, pine pulp is worth $59.40 to $77.00 per cord. You can get more in Wisconsin.

Aspen pulp is the most desired species here, and it is worth $81.00 to $92.25 per cord.

On a  recent state sale, 1440 cords of Aspen pulp that was offered for $26.00 per cord was sold for $152.10 per cord.  :o :o :o

No that is not a misprint, the total sale was bid up from $37,665 to $219,249. I have no clue how they can do that, other than they are just (unprintable) nuts. That was the highest price. Other prices on the same sale for Aspen pulp were $131.30, $124.80, and $140.40.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

FiremanEd

Gary,

I'd speculate that the pulp mill who paid that was running a little low on wood that week. My understanding is that the raw wood is only ~3% of the cost of paper. What other industry pays only 3% for their raw product? It's been said for years and the paper companies around Va have proven time and again that they CAN pay much more for pulp when THEY need it. They'll pay what they have to pay to get the amount of wood they need, and rest assured they're not gonna go broke because of what they paid for the raw product. Unfortunatly they know that we (loggers, land owners etc) will sell either way and take what we get. Loggers are second only to farmers in being toooo independant to work together and organize to drive the prices up. I'm not saying that negativly as I qualify as both and am more independent than average.  ;D 

We've been on quota's in Va for about a month and will stay on them through June, after July 1st they'll start wanting to build inventory for winter and it'll be wide open again and they'll go up on what they'll pay to get it from the competing mills. The pulp market if a viscous as any other, around here anyway.

Ed
AccuTrac Electric Edger

SwampDonkey

Three percent is no where in the ball park. I've seen 3 local mills go broke/cut operations in the last five years by setting the price too high for purchase wood. Raw product and material are the highest cost , then Electric power/fuel, followed by labor (those two are interchangeable depending on wheather it's a sawmill or pulpmill).

Here is a report from industry canada
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

FiremanEd

I agree fully that raw material is by far tops for a sawmill, I run about 60% logs, 25% Labor, 15% electric, blades, maintance. The 3% that I was told applied only to pulp mills. It may be inaccurate, I was given it by a guy who was in that business. I do know I've seen them pay triple the norm for pulp when they needed it bad enough.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Gary_C

Those high bids were for stumpage and only one of the buyers was a mill, the other three were from a logger. For the last year. bids on stumpage have been spiraling higher and now every sale sets a new high. These prices are mostly being paid on state and county auctions. The state is making some noise about the bids, but they are so desperate for the money, the protests are not very loud. Private landowners are not seeing those prices because they depend on the small loggers that cannot pay that much. Some smaller loggers are forming coop's and apparently getting an open checkbook from the mill, just like the large logger's aparently have.

A buyer for a large mill told me last year they were not going to buy any more stumpage because it made no sense to bid against their own suppliers.   ::) ::)  Now this year I see where they are back buying stumpage again.   :) :)

Perhaps when the mills are broke, they will ask the state for their money back??

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!