iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building an addition to our cabin in West Virginia.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, May 23, 2005, 07:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

My brothers Henry, Chris and I spent Thursday through Sunday at our cabin in West Virginia We were met by Tudy, a 78 year old church builder and his 2 sons. We tore off our old bunk house and Kitchen, which was an old 25x10 shed roof off the main cabin, and built a 25x20 A frame addition. It is under roof and the sheathing is up. We have been doing a lot of prep work over the last few months which is why you havn't heard from me in a while. Chris and I milled all the lumber over the last year on my Norwood  using trees off the property in WV. A lot of them were blow downs from the severe weather we had last year.

I'm tired.

To the man who invented nail guns, thank you thank you thank you!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

TN_man

Sounds like fun 8)
You are right about those nail guns. They allow me to do lay out and turn my wife loose on nailing. Sure speeds things up. :o
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

sigidi

oh yeah them nailguns they are just too cool, makes things go so much quicker and you can just hold bits of wood together without needing to clamp them -so cool

Only thing though, you gots to keep ya hands free of any possilbe travel of them nails - got bitten three times now and one Ihad to pull my finger off of!!! :'(
Always willing to help - Allan

isawlogs

Yes sir them guns can hurt ...  I personaly can relate to that ...  ::) :'(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea, Chris had a nail skip off a bord and into the meaty part of his hand between thumb and forefinger. Said he did a dance to celebrate the occasion. He said it took about a year to stop tingling.

pappy

Hey Jon,

Ya got any pics of the new addition of the WV cabin...

I like nail guns too as the ole joints in the right arm don't take kindly to me using a hammer.  ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey there Tim!

I forgot my camera this time but a buddy of mine had his and promised to email me a couple.
I'll post em as soon as I get them.

We are going back up after the Memorial day holiday to continue work and my camera will ride along!

pappy

Sooooooooooooooo where be the pics???????   ;D  I know you been up ther again since
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, I forgot all about this thread! ::)

The last 2 weekend's we have been up nailing up the indoor siding. no sheet rock but also no tongue and groove, just rough cut 1x8's and I think it looks GREAT. We were able to sleep in the mostly finished bunk room. 12 bunks nice and spread out. INDOOR plumbing is roughed in.

We are looking for an easy way to set up a shower, have the stall and I think I am just going to put a shelf in the upper corner where I can put a bucket of water. Plumb a shower head into the bottom edge of the bucket and fill it with water warmed on the woodstove. WALLAH warm shower. Remember the shower heads like the ones in MASH? pull the chain and water comes out, let go and it shut itself off? wonder where I can get one of those?

Pix to come, really, promise.

We are going up again weekend after next.

Next weekend is Bike Week Ocean City Md  8)
Jon

GareyD

Jon, this is not exactly what ya was wantin' fer a shower, but ya could buy or build sumthin' like it pretty easy...used one like this at a friends cabin...worked pretty slick ;D

Propane Shower
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

gary

I am trying something like your shower project only I am going to use a 15 gal drum and a fuel pump to pump the water. I am going to power it with a car battery.

Don_Papenburg

Look in the industrial safty catalog  ,under chemical washdown showers. I got one on a sale for a buck has a rope pull and a short pipe then an elbow with a shower head .
How about a larger drumm and run a copper tube around the stove pipe to heat the water . Maybe even make a thermalsyphon system.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Weekend_Sawyer

All good ideas!

My reason for limiting it to a 5 gal bucket that person would have to heat it on the woodstve is to save on propane. I am not discuraging showers, but what I do not want is someone taking a 20 minute shower and burning up massive quantities of propane. We haul our own 110lb tanks in. And with the cost up, well I'm just cheep sometimes. ;D

Jon

beenthere

Is there a burning ban so a wood fire can't be used to heat water?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

No burning ban, we heat the whole cabin with a woodstove. Often before we go out after lunch I will but a deer meat stew on the stove and let it simmer all afternoon then drop in some onion, potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, cummin. Talk about tender! ah man I'm gettin hungry.

Jon

pappy

Hey Jon,

I've made 5 gal pail showers before...I drilled a 11/16" hole in the bottom of the pail threaded in a gate valve gooed with silly cone and threaded on an electrical nut (inside the pail) used on wire clamps in a junction box... hooked it up with a pulley up on the over head purlin... fill w/ hot water ... hoist er up ... tie it off then hooked the valve w/ quick couplers to a garden hose with a flower/garden sprayer (has it's own valve) over head in the stall and viola a nice warm shower ... cost under $10   8)

just watch out fer the wise guys that it'll dump cold water in the pail while you're in the shower  :o

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Tim, I like it.

8) 8) singin and dancin in the shower  8) 8)

Jon

pappy

Quote from: gary on September 13, 2005, 04:45:53 PM
I am trying something like your shower project only I am going to use a 15 gal drum and a fuel pump to pump the water. I am going to power it with a car battery.

Gary,
ya might want to take a peek at this pump as I believe it's not as expensive

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/showprod.cfm?ID=1309&refid=70B08196%2D10A5%2D4376%2D873FCEE339D1B2D9

this site also has other useful stuff one could use in a remote home/cabin situation...  8)

gary

Mine was free. I have a box of them that is about 3ft.x3ft. One of the perks of working for a scrap company.

pappy

Thank You Sponsors!