iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jet Pump , 2 inch well troubles ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, May 22, 2005, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I hooked up my new convertible jet pump yesterday to my 2 inch sandpoint well . I got water at 34 feet down and the bottom of the sandpoint is at 40 . These convertible jet pumps will only pull a max of 25 feet and I am at 34 feet to water. The piece marked with the red arrow is the injector and comes off and can be lowered into the well with 3/4 inch pipes attached and the problem is solved . My problem is I have a 2 inch casing and the detachable injector only fits a 4 inch casing . I cant find a injector that will fit a 2 inch casing so I can drop it down in the water . Does anyone know where I can find a injector for 2 inch? Can anyone direct me to a link where I can buy one ? Plumbers and well drillers wont give me the time of day because I dont want their assistance , just the part ! Can I make one ? Thanks . I will post the picture in a minute here
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK

This jet pump will work to 90 feet down in the well pipe if I could make it fit into the  2inch pipe . I just had a brainstorm like maybe grind of stuff to make it fit but I doubt it . Nope thats a bad idea

Rockn H

Have you tried it ?  We got lucky and hit water at 15', but I know some that are using shallow jet pumps at depths cloce to what you have.  Did you put your check valve at the point or on the surface? I have been told placing it at the point makes it easier on the pump, just hard to replace. ;D  Due to Capilary action you may luck out and be able to pump with the shallow well set up.  I know some manufacturers when we were looking at pumps didn't recommend using a deep pump until you were over 50'.  Good luck and we hope you start pumping water soon.   ;D

UNCLEBUCK

I screwed the check valve onto the piece of casing sticking out of the slab and went through 12 priming cycles and no water , if I would have had a basement I would have gained about 8 feet to maybe put me in range . I suppose I had good water lifted to within 8 feet of  the check valve . After giving up I took all my connections off and have my well pipe ready to go when I find a 2 inch drop down injector part and a rubber cap to cover the casing .Thanks for the reply as I know this is going to be a hard one to solve anywhere .

Gary_C

I bought one at least ten years ago and used it for a short time before I drilled a new well. I think it is down in the shed somewhere, I can look tomorrow. I think I bought it at Graingers. They have an online catalog so you can also look there.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Brucer

Sorry, UncleBuck, there's no way you'll be able to suck water up 34'. Even a pure vacuum cannot pull water above 33.9 feet  :(.

With a jet pump, you really need to have the check valve at water level. These things work by diverting some of the pump output back down to the ejector (which is just a venturi). The venturi creates a suction in the ejector housing to draw in more water, and then "pushes" the water up to the pump. If you get even a small amount of air into the system, the venturi stops working and you lose suction.

I haven't come across a jet pump ejector that will fit inside a 2" casing. Someone may have figured out a way to put a special venturi down a 2" casing without using the complete housing. I'lll talk to some of my plumber friends this week.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

UNCLEBUCK

ok thanks for the info Brucer and Garey , my friend has a graingers and I forgot all about graingers but am going to dig and find something. Thanks

Gary_C

You need a "single pipe in the well ejector" which requires a 2 in cased well in good condition.  Grainger No. 2P484 is what I used. List price $119.80.  You also have to have the deep well pump with the two pipe connections on the face and not the shallow well model with built in jet.

I would strongly recommend drilling a new well as I eventually did because  that single pipe system can be a real pain and the water is usually full of bacterial iron.

Good Luck.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

maple flats

Unclebuck, try calling Deeprock Manufacturing, well drilling. I have one of their drilling rigs and they have parts to hook up to a 2"pvc well casing. I have not gone that route yet because I hit water at 22'. My next well I will put in at my sugarhouse (maple syrup) and may need to get one at that time. If I remember they claim you can get about 80 or 90% of the flow you could with the same pump on a 4 or 6" casing. They have parts for everything from 2" thru 6", maybe larger. Good luck. :) :) Their toll free # is 1-800-333-7762 or you can find them by doing a search on the web. Their system puts a footvalve down and one pipe, the casing is the second pipe needed.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Brucer

Quote from: Gary_C on May 23, 2005, 09:36:55 AM
You need a "single pipe in the well ejector" which requires a 2 in cased well in good condition.  Grainger No. 2P484 is what I used. List price $119.80.  You also have to have the deep well pump with the two pipe connections on the face and not the shallow well model with built in jet.

You can unbolt the ejector on that convertable pump and you'll find the two pipe connections on the face of the pump.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks Gary,Brucer and maple flats ! In the morning I will have decided which one to choose and also found a place in florida called bluewater pumps.com that had a box full of 2 inch drop down injectors and foot valves to hang below the injector and the fancy 2 inch cap for the top of the casing . I am good now but yesterday I think I burned a whole box of copenhagen thinking I had to spend 5 grand on a big well. I am on the east edge of a glacial lake bed called the aggassiz and its all gravel and the water is a plenty and clean and pure plus there is no big potato farms near me or big irrigators to saturate the sand with chemicals so I went the cheap route but if I would have pounded a smaller diameter well pipe I would have had to start over so am glad I went 2 inch because if ya cant hit water by 25 feet one can forget about the simple shallow well . Thanks everybody ! Everyone can come and try out my new 300$ truckstop toilet sometime ! Says on the box it will flush a 1 gallon pail full of golf balls !

Tom

You can't eat them Golf Eggs.  They knock'em around a cow pasture all day and I haven't seen one bust yet. :)

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK

Thank you too Rockn H ! Sometimes I forget  ???

Doc

I got one of them toilets Buck. Says you can flush 26 golfballs down it in a single flush? Don't bet on it!

I bought mine after my teen aged boy (now 15) stopped up the can upstairs last year for the fifth time in three weeks. I thought I was gonna be a wise butt and replace it with one that would handle those elephant eggs he keeps laying, but he has managed to stop it up too!

I gotta quit feeding that kid so much....twice a week is just too much I think.

I got on him and told him that he had to stop eating so much. He responded to me with "Dad, I told you I only eat once a day. All day long."
I got the huge grocery bill to prove he hasn't quit growing yet. Considering sending him to Urban Logger to push the head of his mizer for a while......Afraid Urban might send him back with a grocery bill......

Doc

Jason_WI

If you know someone with a drilling rig used for blasting they can bore you a 4 inch hole large enough for 4" casing. Then use a pump from http://www.grundfos.com/ in the 4" casing. These pumps are cheaper than the Rita 4" pump and pump more water.

Both of the wells on our farm are 4". The main one is only 32 feet deep and has never gone dry in the 100 years of use. Always tests good since we are on grade A for dairy.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!