iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I made today

Started by wiam, May 22, 2005, 10:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiam

Rained alot lately.  Now I can have a dry seat. 8) 8)

Got to get U bolts and paint

Will

Rockn H

Can't believe you wasted your time building one when I know you could buy one new at the dealer for around $600. :D :D :D :D
Now seriously it looks good. ;D

Dan_Shade

how much does it rattle?   :D

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Nice job, Wiam! 8) 8)  Looks like you saved about $550!  I bet it don't rattle near as much as that $600 jobby. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

That is very nice !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

wiam

There is some vibration, but ther is no rattle.  I have had some manufactured ones drive me nuts with rattle, especially alluminum.

Will

Roxie

Good job!   :)  I like the looks of the barn in the background too...do you have a picture that shows the whole barn?  I just love old barns. 
Say when

wiam

Just for you Roxie,

This was in 1985.  The upright silo is gone, but not much else has changed.  My family has been here since 1785.

Will

Dan_Shade

the countryside I knew as a kid is now all developments.... :(  "progress...."

I'd love to be able to buy farmland someday.

that's a bueatiful farm, wiam
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

wiam

And I have not showed the impressive view yet. ;)

Will

Ernie

As we Kiwis and the Aussies say  Skite (means braggart)

Well  post the pics of the impressive view ;D ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Roxie

That is beautiful!  If I am ever in your area, I'm gonna stop by and see that barn!   :)  Thanks Wiam.
Say when

tdelorme

Nice work on the tractor. Now,  WATCH OUT FOR THEM TREES   We just don't have those purty old farms down here in Texas and I sure wish we did.  Real nice, makes sense to stay awhile.

UNCLEBUCK

I believe that photo could be put on the Lehmans calendar ! 1785 wow ! You wont find tradition that far back here in Minnesota or farm sites that have been kept . They get bulldozed and a new pole barn or the like would take its place which then looks yucky ! How old is the house and the barn ?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sigidi

Well Come on Will,

show us the pic, come on show us, show us :o
Always willing to help - Allan

TN_man

Those things are good about keeping the sun off of ya too. ;)
I too, love old barns. I enjoy seeing how they put them together. I would love to build a great big one that I could leave to my great grandkids. Thanks for the pics. Beautiful farm.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Doc

That is very cool Will. Amazing that it stayed in the family that long. Semms like everything gets sold out nowdays.

I wanna see more too! Hurry up man! We are waiting and you are holding up progress here.....HURRY UP! :D :D :D

Doc

Karl_N.

Wiam,

I've been curious to know your location as we're practically neighbors. I immediately recognized your house and barn as a place I've admired on my ramblings on the back roads. I think I even drove down your driveway once when I was a kid before they put up the roadsigns that designate private roads from public. Now I know where to stay away from so as not to get attacked by some crazy coon.
Karl
(up North of you aways in N.Danville)

Captain

Karl, I always had you pegged for Burke or Newark or something like that.  North Danville?  Hardly the NE Kingdom  :)

Captain

Fraxinus

Wiam, I will be paying you a visit some day.  I want to get my young friend and go over to look at that SC for sure.  You're not more'n 50 or 60 miles from me.
You folks have been on your land about 82 years more than we've been here.  But my great grandfather was born in Derby Line (NE Kingdom there!) and lived in Coaticook before coming here.
Do you ever go to Gray's auction in Fairlee?
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

wiam

Karl,  did your mother teach school in Barnet?
Fraxinus, been to Gray's field too many times. :D :D some deals better than others. ;)

Will

Fraxinus

Usually when I go to Gray's field, I only buy a cheeseburger or an ice cream.  But it is good entertainment.  :D I can remember old Carl Gray and Arthur Farmar, who came from over my way in Plymouth, selling cattle and whatever every Monday night down to East Thetford.  Herbie and Larry were just little kids running around 8) 8)  Haven't heard anything about Larry for a long time.
Is there an auction this Saturday or was it last week?  I haven't picked up a schedule yet.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

wiam

Fraxinus, 3rd Saturday thru October,  First Saturday in November.

Will

Fraxinus

I just happened  :o to swing by "The Field" today on my travels to the left coast of NH and picked up a schedule.  You are correct.  The May auction was the 14th.

wiam

The rest of the pics

This is Warden Pond.  I stood on a knoll in a cow pasture to take this picture.  The Warden family owns about 2/3 of the way around the pond.  60 acres and there is only 1 camp on it. 8) 8)

This one I turned about 90 degrees to my right from the last.  Pretty much what you see, I own.

Here is 90 degrees left from first picture.

And here are two current of the barn.

Fraxinus

Good looking Vermont scenery.  So much of that kind of scene has grown up around here.  Not many cows any more.  And who can keep sheep with all the coyotes around.  You have to keep them right under the doorstep or they'll get picked off one by one. >:( >:(
Now you've really got me itching to pay a visit. :)

Vermonter

For more scenery, check out Where the Rivers Flow North.  It was filmed on wiam's pond.  I was telling him the other day (I think we were standing where the photos were taken) that I was in Florida taking a class, feeling homesick, when I flipped through the channels and found the movie.  Felt better immediately.
Even though I like cutting trees, the end of the movie is a bit too real.  Wiam's got some big (I mean reeeealllly big) pines on the pond, and it looks like they are cutting them in the movie.  I guess it makes me jealous.
The other movie from the area that I like is Ben's Mill.  There was a guy in town with a water powered mill.  When we were in high school, he had it running on a JD crawler, but it was still shaft driven.  That movie has been available on ebay, but I checked this morning and didn't find it.  I'd like a copy for my classroom.  Anyone other than wiam and I who've seen it?
New homestead

Roxie

WOW........absolutely beautiful!   :o
Say when

Fraxinus

Quote from: Vermonter on May 26, 2005, 07:13:47 AM
For more scenery, check out Where the Rivers Flow North. 
I never seen the movie but I read the book. Didn't that movie have (DanG, I can't think of his name...he was in Back to the Future...has Parkinson's disease...fairly young man) in it? 
Recently read another book (fiction) about the Kingdom.  Can't think of the name of that one either.  It's about a kid who goes to live with his grandparents up in the Kingdom.  Maybe back in the '40s or '50s.  Grandparents are both very eccentric types who basically hate each other.  Interesting story.  Funny/sad.

JimBuis

Vermonter,
   To find the movie, Ben's Mill, try looking at Amazon.  Try pasting this line into your browser:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009QGF5/qid=1117119744/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3470966-2070217?v=glance&s=video&n=507846#product-details

Anyway, they have the movie available. 8) 8) 8)

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Karl_N.

wiam

Karl, sixth grade. 

Fraxinus,  Michael J Fox   I think Ripp Torn was in that one also.

Last year there was a mini series on VT public TV  with Rusty Dewees that was partly filmed at the pond.

Will

Karl_N.

Wiam,

You had her as a teacher or you had kids that had her as a teacher?

wiam

Karl, I had her for sixth grade 24 years ago.  My kids are in lower grades now.

Will

Karl_N.

Wiam,

Wow, small world. Well I guess since we both live in the Kingdom that shouldn't be such a surprise but still coincidental. I'll show her your picture and see if she recognizes you after all these years. I'm sure you haven't changed a bit. :D

wiam

Karl, actually it was 26 years ago, not 24.  Don't tell her I can;t subtract. ;) ;)

Will

Sawyerfortyish

Holy smoke I didn't know there was so many guys on here from Vermont. I was just telling Wiam a couple days ago my mom and dad has a cabin at West Danville on Joes pond. Do any of you make maple syrup?
  The only film that was filmed around me was Friday the 13 And nobodys looking at the scenery.

Karl_N.

Wiam,

She certainly does remember you and also remembers your mother. I guess they used to catch up on things at craft fairs and farmers markets where your mother sold candles she made.

Karl_N.

Captain,

Granted I would be more likely to call the Burke, Sutton, and Derby areas the heart of the Northeast Kingdom just cause of the vastness of the undeveloped land up there but I'm awfully proud to say I live in the Kingdom as well. I believe they call St. Johnsbury the gateway to the Kingdom.

wiam

There is a poster at the Bradford rest area that says welcome to the Kingdom. ::) ::)  I think somebody got lost.

Will

Gilman

Vermonter,
Thanks for the recommendation on Ben's Mill incredible documentary :o.  I only wish it was about 8 hours long.  8) I also wish the camerman would have got a better view of the innards of the turbine.

The bad part is Kathy wants a wooden tank now.

Where the Rivers Flow North is coming in the mail, I look forward to that one too.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!