iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230D

Started by Bill H, May 22, 2005, 10:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill H

I talked to a older fellow (78) that has a 230D that he says runs. I saw it behind his barn and asked him about it. He bnought it from a logger 1-2? years ago with plans of running it but decided that may be a little more work than he wants at his age. He said he starts it every now and then and it has a flat tire. I know this could be a problem machine and plan to talk to the previous owner also, but thought I would ask for your opinions as to things to look for and places to find owners and parts manuels. Our family farm contains 650+ acres of hardwood timber and this machine would be used on weekends to get out culls and blowdowns. I'm using a 84 hp tractor without a winch now and cannot get over the hills because of possible rollover. I'm 46 and have been on tractors on hillsides since Dad put an old 601 Ford in gear, let out the clutch, and got out of the way as the only way I could reach the petals was to slide off the seat and hit the clutch and the brakes and stand there(good for one stop till help came) ;D so I know that what I want/need to about the limits of my tractors. One last thing is this 230D has a Hercules winch is that a good or bad thing? Bill
love to play in the woods
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

David_c

good machines easy to get parts for. should also be able to get machine specific parts manual from tj by giving them seriel number.

tnlogger

Bill welcome to the forum  The 230 is a good machine and as david_C said easy to fix and you can get most of what you need at a junk yard. get him to fix the tire and run it a bit.
gene

Sawyerfortyish

Welcome to the forum bill. I have a 230d myself very depenable machine easy on fuel but a bit loud with that 353 Detroit. I don't have a book on my machine but if your any kind of backyard mechanic things are very easy to work on. My machine as long as I keep it greased and check all the oils and give it clean fuel it very rarely needs any fixing. You said one tire is flat how is the tread overall?. Is there any tire chains? Tires are about a 1000.00 ea just put a new pair on mine. It will take some getting used to but this will be much safer than a farm tractor. Just make sure the brakes work as well as the parking brake as you will need it to winch trees to the machine. Does this machine have a joy stick to steer?. Mine does and I like it better than a steering wheel. What kind of money is being asked for it? It's worth from 6-12,000 depending on a lot of things.

Bill H

Sawyerfortysh,joystick steering, no chains, and tires @ 30%. I have no idea on brakes etc but will look at them and hear it run in next couple weeks, as is where is ~$4000? so I believe not to bad a deal if can make do with tires for couple years even if need hoses,rebuild a couple leaky cylinders, rebuild winch,etc. Bill
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

timberjack240

bill 
my pap has a 225 thats a little older than this 230. it has a hercules winch on it. i dont no how good they are but ill ask hi. hes had his for bout 30-35 years sumtin like that so he should no a little about it.  ;D i no one thing he sed no to do is winch in when your movin, sumtin about crackin it or sumtin like that bnut ill ask him and get back to ya.

timberjack 240

Sawyerfortyish

Bill when I bought my TJ the rear tires were about 60% the right front had 0 tread it was bald and the left had about 20%. I had trouble getting around in between trees because the front would spin and slide I put a set of chains on the front and that did the trick. I found I needed to wear a helmet with ear muffs. Not only to muffel the sound but you sit on the left side of the machine and on rough ground part of the roll cage will clunk you in the left ear when driving over things.

timberjack240

"but you sit on the left side of the machine and on rough ground part of the roll cage will clunk you in the left ear when driving over things"
trust me he is NOT liein  :D. its really knocks you for a loop  :o  :D

timberjack240

bill
he sed they are good little winches ont the 225 but he didnt say much about the 230s i think they are the same but im not really sure

Bill H

TJ 240,
Thank you, Bill
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

Bill H

I bought the orange beast 8), now all I have to do is get it to the farm :'(, I plan on just driving it as it is only a move of about 12 miles. I will have pictures soon. Bill
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

Sawyerfortyish

Don't let smokey see you. Skidders aren't made for speed or get away vehicals. 12 miles is quite a ride for one on the highway.

timberjack240

wear earmuffs 12 miles is a long way to listen to a screamin detroit  :D

Bill H

Ok, I got the orange beast home  8), now I need an owners/operaters manuel for it. John Deere gladly let me have a parts manuel for $60+, but they do not have the owners/operators manuel for it and I would like to know the service/greasing intervals on the oil/air filters, and all those u-joints.
Bill
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

timberjack240

bill
in the timberjacks there are stickers above the seat that show you some of the grease pionts and all the stuff youre supposed to check. it might not be there but all you have to do is look above the seat on the roof. our one tj has it and the other i think has somethin like it but that s a start if its there
timberjack 240

Bill H

All the decals are gone or unreadable :-[
Bill
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

farmerdoug

Bill H,

Did you ever get an operators manual for your 230?  I have a 230GS and I have posted a pic of the maintaince decal in my gallery.  If you need a better pic I can email it to you.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Bill H

Yes I have gotten all three manuels (operators, parts, and service) from JD tech publications the link is on the thread you started on your gs. I think the best deal is to get the download and print out copies as needed grease and dirt etc. I have gotten alot of parts from Forestry and Construction in Va. and thier mechanic Dave was a TJ traveling factory mechanic for 15 years in 5 states including KY and can troubleshoot over phone.
Bill H.
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

Thank You Sponsors!