iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

we have a new baby--guess who delivered her

Started by Gordon, July 01, 2002, 09:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Yes a long title for a long day. This is just a quick post to let everyone know that we have a new healthy baby girl in the household. she is sleeping about ten feet from me as I write this. She was born at about 608am in macdonalds parking lot this morning.

and I DELIVERED HER IN THE FRONT SEAT OF THE CAR, YUP I'M PROUD AS A PEACOCK

Will do a complete post tomorrow or later this evening if I have time. Will also post a couple of pics of the action in the parking lot.

Gordon

DanG

Well ALLLLLL RIGHTY THEN!  That'll teach ya to stop off for a biscuit on the way to the hospital! :o  Congratulations!

Don't think the little change in yer profile wasn't noticed, either. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

Congratulations Gordon! That's incredible.You've got more guts than Dick Tracy 8)

You have reason to be proud as a Peacock.

(You might want to run it by the wife before you post any action pics) :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Way to go Gordon!

What a legacy to be able to say that you delivered your own child.  Proud of you, the missus, the other kids and the little tyke that had to go through all the miss-handling.  :D

Norm

Congratulations Gordon, I'm impressed, I thought I was brave going into the delivery room when my kids were born. It will make a great story for the grandkids :D

ARKANSAWYER

Gordon,
   I thought that you were going to say that "Ronald" did it.  Ha!  You must be a handy man to have around.  Hows Momma?  She must have been pleased that it went well.  Congrats!
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

Way to go Mamma and Gordo! Yes, Gordon you better get permission for the action shots.

But just think guys, Gordon has the same camera I got. MOTION! SOUND! :D

Congrats Gordon, from all of us!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gordon

I'm a wimp when it comes to blood and guts so all in all I did real well. Each time it gets easier on me anyway, still tough on the mrs.When the first baby was born counted ten fingers ten toes and saw it was a girl and healthy, then the room started to get warm real quick. Nurse asked me if I was ready to leave, I replied yes. Thank goodness it wasn't my first or the results might not have been as smooth as they were this morning.

First the action shots really are after the fact. During the couple of minutes that all heck was breaking loose the last thing on my mind was the camera. I was up to my elbows in baby stuff. Oh and I only gagged a couple of times. ;)

Ok here goes this is how yesterday morning unfolded. Got up as usual and started getting ready for work. The mrs wakes up around 5:30 am and says its time. I ask her if I've got time to fix a pot of coffee. She gave me the look and replied IT'S TIME TO GO NOW. So I quickly speed laced the boots and run around the house getting a shirt. Poured the coffee out of my thermos into a cup and out the door we went.

She has a bad contraction getting into the car. So I reach over to help and spill my coffee all over the back floor of the car, least of my worries for the morning. Ok she is in the car and all is good. Sprint back to the house to get the my cell phone because hers is dead and I just had that feeling it might come in handy. She is saying some not so nice things to me at the time.

Go slow down driveway trying to miss all the bumps. Had to stop at the end another bad contraction. I told her that I've got to get in the wind or were not going to make it to the hospital. She replies then gun it. :o Make it to the second stop sign and another contraction. I'm thinking this is going to be close, thank goodness we only live about 20-30min from the hospital.

Get out on rt 8 and rolling toward the hospital. Come to the first stoplight and I almost ran it but it would have been red by the time I got to it so I stopped. From the seat next to me comes. RUN THE DARN THING. This is coming out of the mouth of the safe driver of the week. This time I was really shocked. :o

Ok off we go, I pass a few cars and one truck then realize I've forgotten my wallet. So I get on the cell phone and start to dial her dads number. Reason being we didn't have time to load up all the kids and her dad was on his way out to the house to pick them up and bring them to the hospital. Well after I dial I get ready to pass another truck and she swats the phone out of my hand. Concentrate on the road don't talk on the phone. Quite a ride so far. ;)

Make it a couple of miles down the road and she says were not going to make it. I reply we have plenty of gas. She says not were not going to make it to the hospital before the baby is born. My mind is now reeling. She says dial 911, I reply can't drive and talk on the phone. I said this as I was picking up the phone to dial 911. She didn't see the humor in it at the time for some reason. I was just trying to relieve some of the tension thats all. At this time she is in hard labor.

So I get the 911 operator and see if it's quicker for them to send an ambulance or for us to keep driving. It's a coin toss as to which is quicker. Now were getting close to the hospital. The road turns into 4 lanes and were coming to a red light again. I stop and she YELLS pull over NOW. But I'm in the fast lane. Repeat of above, I cut the jeep off next to me and pull into the parking lot. I'm still talking to the 911 operator and tell him to send the ambulance asap. This baby is ready.

He gets location, Dairy Queen//Mcdonalds parking lot and toss the phone on the roof of the car. I run around to the other side of the car. The mrs is in sheer pain of labor. It's coming NOW. She has jogging shorts on and there is a lump in them. My gut goes to my throat. It's showtime, I've been trained on this so it should be no problem. Well a quick sidenote, training is NOTHING like the real thing, you can take my word on that.

So I yank the shorts down to her knees and the head is already out. That was the lump in the shots for those of you who haven't figured it out yet. Next couple of minutes are a blur in my mind. But here is the best I remember. I get ahold of the head then I see the shoulders and BOOM a baby. I pull it up (don't know the sex of the baby at this time)

I wipe the face and feel for breathing, it's breathing. The mrs panics, give the baby here it's not breathing. So I hand it to the mrs and a fine scream of a baby is heard. Relief and joy in the mrs eyes, mine if I had a mirror must still look like sheer terror. ;)

So I reach in the back seat for the blanket and cover the baby. Then run back around the car to get the phone off the roof. As I was running around I realized that I didn't even think to see what sex it was. Was worried about the breathing first I guess. I holler to the mrs,,,is it a boy or a girl?? She hollers back it's a girl. My reply it figures. We now have 4 girls to one boy.

I get the phone off the roof. Hello, hello well it's a baby girl and all looks good she is breathing. Ok now you need to tie off the cord he says to you have some steril string. I start to laugh looking at my boot shoe laces, no I reply. Hay I ask him what time is it? It's 615am ok then. He says it was about 6:08 when I heard the scream. Man I'm feeling proud as a peacock! Didn't faint or nothing just gagged a couple of times thats all. Ok back to business.

Then I run back around to the mrs and start to unlace her shoes. About that time I see an unmarked state cop car running up the road with lights flashing so I flag him down. He goes to the next parking lot over. I tell the 911 operator that he is to far down. So he rounds the lot and comes back. Now a couple of town police are coming with lights blasting as well.

The state police man hops out and gets a bag out of the trunk. He says everything allright, oh I guess so. He says he heard the call on the radio and was on his way to work downstate so he stopped. He is a paramedic on the state police helicopter. How could I be so lucky!

I step back and let this PRO go to work. Now it's time to get the camera out. Babies first picture is below.

Oh and when the mrs was getting out of the car onto the strecher she almost tripped on the partially removed shoelace that I got sidetracked on. oops.

Mrs is healthy, baby is healthy all is good. She rode in the ambulance and I drove the car. Took a few minutes to clean the seat in the car and up the elevator I went. One proud pa pa!

She checked into the hospital at about 630am and we left with the baby at about 10pm last night. Drive thru service. That is an entire story all in it's self. ;D

Sorry for being so long but I couldn't tell just part of the event of a lifetime. Oh and her name is Heather.

Gordon

DanG

No apologies, Gordo! I read every word twice, then read it aloud to my wife. You can fill us in on the details later. :) 8) :) 8) :) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J Beyer

8) ;DCONGRATULATIONS!!! ;D 8)

Wow!  What a story to have in your life experiences.  When the child asks, "where was I born?" you may have a tough time with that one.  If I ever go through what you have, I just hope that I do as well as you.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Eggsander

Way to go Gordo  8)
To put it in my kids' words "awesome!"
Say, usually when I guy does a DIY project, he saves a couple bucks by supplying his own labor. I'm betting that it ain't gonna work that way this time.  :D :D
Best wishes to all.
Steve

Kevin

YIKES.
Congratulations Gordon, good to see everything went well.
Maybe on the birth certificate the place of birth will read no fixed address . :)

Ron Scott

Quite a story and able to get a picture during the event.  :)

Congratulations!, and well done by all.
~Ron

Kevin

She could have been in some real trouble if you hadn`t been there to untie her shoes.  :D

Ron Wenrich

Congratulations!!  Great story.

I might have to stop by that McDonalds on the way down to the shore.   :D  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bro. Noble

Good goin Gordon,

I'll think of you and your new one every time I go by the 'Golden Arches' and I bet everyone else does too.

Like I told Paul_H,     All boys but four???

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Gordon

Thank you for all the kind wishes. Guess it goes without saying that this will be one of the top memories of my lifetime. Yes I wanted another boy, but I'll take healthy first any day of the week and she is good and healthy so that is what really counts. Whats better is I delievered her---I'm still on top of the world about that.

But the down side, I got in trouble from the mrs for not posting how much she weighed in at or how long she was at birth. She agreed is was how it happened that morning but no vitals, so here are the vitals.
Female 7lbs 9ozs. 20inchs long.

Oh and here are a couple more pics one is of the crowd that gathered of uniforms and the other is of course the golden arches.

Gordon

ARKANSAWYER

Hey you send a photo to Mc D they may be interested and furnish the child with it's first "happy meal".
  Job well done and the best to you and yours.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

L. Wakefield

What a totally beautiful story and first baby picture! You (all 3!) did so well! I don't know if it's a Micky D first, but it's certainly a Forestry Forum first! Tell your wife I've never seen someone look as beautiful and calm as she does in that picture!    :)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Texas Ranger

Nice catch, Gordon, I would give a pretty to hear what your wife had to say to you during the process! :D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tillaway

Gordon ... wow if that happened to me I would have been needing an ambulance myself.  Congrats!!! 8) 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Gordon

L, she says thank you very much for the complement. At first she really wasn't too keen on me posting the first pic's. But as I told her those were the first pic's only fair. So she gave the ok to post them and hearing that makes her feel better no doubt. ;D

As for me being cool under fire, well I thought that I did pretty darn good overall. Just think if I would have choked that morning, never would have lived that one down. But we all know who has the tough end of the deal----the Mrs. I thought she was tough as nails that morning. Probaby why I love her so much. ;)

The mrs and I were just talking about it and yes some of the language wouldn't go over so well on a public forum. So I thought best to leave some of the verbage out that was said that morning. Nothing that I've never heard before, but some of it I've never heard out of her mouth before Monday morning. ;)

The baby so far is sleeping about 5-6 hours a stretch and the times seem to be increasing. So things are pretty much returning to normal again.

Babies are just so cool. 8) 8) 8)

Thanks again for all the well wishes
gordon

CHARLIE

Congratulations Gorden!  You might be interested to know that the guvm'nt did a study and they found that people born in July were smarter and prettier than people born in other months.  ;D

That was a great story about your new daughter's birth. Be sure to print that out and paste it into her baby book. You don't want to lose that treasure of words.

I don't know how you did it, but then I guess you didn't have a choice. I found it interesting that everyone showed up AFTER the baby was born. I can see it now. The ambulance and police were saying...."if we drive slow enough, all the messy work will be done when we get there." :)

Again, congratulations on your new daughter and a job well done!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Yes Charlie, you are right I heard about that study. And believe it or not, YOUR Birthday, the 21st, was the zenith, the peak, the ultimate day for people of unprecedented intelligence to be born. They even went as far as stating the peak year was 1961;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Congratulations Gordon!,  I just hope the AMA or the State Board of Health don't take you to court for practicing medicine without a license!  You know how the law works these days.

Did you get a price break from the hospital for doing the hard part yourself?  Our first son came in 1970 and the doctor and hospital had package deal for a normal birth of $350.00 - doctor, prenatal, delivery, hospital, postnatal and all.  Our second son came in 1972 the price was $750 for the same service.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!