iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grinders for ripping chain

Started by Vermonter, May 20, 2005, 09:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermonter

Pardon me if this thread exists elsewhere (I couldn't find what I needed with the search tools).  What are you folks using for grinders for sharpening ripping chain?  What angles?  Which brands?
New homestead

Ironwood

Mine was preground. I just tune it up with hand files. Some of the chainsaw mill prebuilts have a jig that controls depth and etc.... so as to file them evenly. I eyeball it. Tried the jig once (got it at the flea mkt) never used it again. Free hander! REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ARKANSAWYER

I have a chain grinder that I got from Harbor Freight for about $90.  It will adjust from 35 degrees one side to 35 degrees to the other.  I grind my ripping chains at 5 degrees.   I bought one once and it was ground straight across and I did not like it.  5 degrees works well with my big Husky so I keep it there.   Chains that I bust stumps in half with are ground at 10 degrees and look pretty sad.
ARKANSAWYER

arnold

Go to either the bailey or lucas site and they have an electric grinder for ripping and slabbing chain. I use one which they sell and if I remember right it's made in italy and called a "sharpboy". hope this helps
Arnold

rebocardo

I have been using the one from Italy called "zip sharp" or something. Can't tell you exactly what the name is because it is locked away in a work cabinet at the moment. I just change the angle from the normal top plate angle of 25 or 30 to 10 or 0 for my ripping chain. When I use to hand file my ripping chains I use to do a -10 downward angle too. Seemed to work well.

Thank You Sponsors!