iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log rules

Started by woodmills1, May 20, 2005, 08:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

seems most of the magazines I get are having discussion on the log rules and how they don't fit with moder technology.  Anyone up for staring a thread on developing a new one.  Maybe a "whack rule" :D :D :D ;D :) :o ::)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

J_T

Bet they adjust the money to fit  ???
Jim Holloway

beenthere

J_T
There was a lot of wisdom in that statement.  :)

And I won't bet against you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawyerfortyish

Seems knowone is ever happy with any form of log rule including me. It doesn't matter what the footage is if you use the adjustable green ruler $$$$$$$ It's that bottom line you need to look at.

Sawyerfortyish

When you buy logs what scale do you use in your neck of the woods? I have always used Doyle but it looks like everyone is slowly switching to International. You just adjust money to fit scale thats what a lot of big buyers do.

Gary_C

Would a new scale make the rulers read more accurately inside the bark? If your intensions are so inclined, you can easily cheat a person that does not know what is going on.  >:(

It is much more difficult to cheat someone that knows what is going on.

So it doesn't make any difference what scale you use, knowledge is the best equalizer.  :P

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Wenrich

Its not necessarily the rule, but the grader.  I scaled logs for a number of years.  I was easy on scale, but tough on grade.  If a logger was looking only at the bf, then they were real happy.  The dollar amount was about the same when compared to another grader (the mill owner).

Scaling logs is easy, as long as they are straight and defect free.  Start getting sweep, heart rot, rotten knots, and the like, and the scale starts to drop, as does the grade.  A more accurate scale would mean a larger drop.

A log is worth just a certain amount of dollars.  It doesn't matter if it weighed, scaled by any given rule, or purchased by any other method.  The log value will still be the same.

I can't think of any reason to switch to another rule, except there is a lot more cutting of the smaller diameter trees.  That means that they won't let those trees grow to good size.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!