iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anathias / Tree of Heaven, CUTTING

Started by Ironwood, May 20, 2005, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Just curious as to folks experience cutting this type of tree. Many years ago I found some beautiful curly green wood at the lumber yard. It had open grain like ash and the color of fresh sawn locust. I found out later that it was "Tree of Heaven".

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

All I know is Tree of Heaven STINKS when ya cut it.  Most of time it doesn't get big enough to get much usable wood.

I've seen a variety of ash that sounds like what you saw.  Can't remember the name but it is not common.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

I'll have to check this, there's no shortage of it back at my parent's place.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

The tree I am getting is 10' and is 24-30". Definately Anathias. It gets big in rare cases here in Pa. The trunk has a cross hatch look and may contain some cool ribbon or curl, at least I am hopeful. The bark indicates something interesting for sure.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ron Wenrich

A lot of guys think alanthus is sumac.  I've cut some a few logs.  Very soft and I thought it to be bland looking.  The problem is that it grows so fast and the growth rings are very far apart.  That leaves very little grain pattern.  I've seen trees to 24". 

Pawlonia also looks similar to alanthus as to bark pattern.   Alanthus is more of a silver bark and pawlonia is darker.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ironwood

Larry,

Thanks for the info on a rare Ash. When I first saw the "mystery wood" a while back I would have sworn it to be ash, but the color was bizzare. It took several years before I saw a piece of the same kind of wood. A very well known rustic builder, Barry Gregson had a piece at the Adirondack Museum. I was so glad to see it. He thought it to be Anathias, it could be that he was wrong (were not biologists after all). I will solve the puzzle soon, as this tree will be sawn in the next week or so. Given the obvious growth characteristics of the anahthias it may not have my "mystery wood" after all. Well, it will answer the $100 question after all, not including my time(literally) that's what the log will cost me.

I think you may be right, RARE ASH. Let me know if anyone has info!!!!!!! :-\

Part_Timer

I bought some Black Ash a few years ago and made a hope chest out of it.  It had a green tint to it.  I can post a pic if you want me to.  Be aware though I'm color blind but the wife says it's green. 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ironwood

Part-timer,

A picture would be great. I am feeling as though this a wild goose chase with the anathias, I hate to spend the money but I'de really like to know. Hopefully someone else can learn something as well.

Sorry to hear of the color blindness. When our three year old (now)was born you worry of so many things.He has had some issues but thankfully all were treatable, One of my concerns was sight and color blindness. I hope all else is well with you.

REID

Part_Timer

Reid

Are you going to be at the shoot out on Saturday?  If so how about  I just bring a piece of it with me.  Laying hands on it is better than a picture. 
     The color blindness is no big issue to me.  I can see blue and green and black and red.  At least I think I see them :D  I've been an industrial electrician for 15 years now and have only had one instance where it caused a problem.  25 twisted pair phone lines.  Yah like anyone can tell all those colors apart 
     When I went into the military they give you those stupid dot tests.  The ones where you have to tell them what number you see.  Well I missed 11 of 14.  Come to find out they don't care what color you see if you are infantry.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Ironwood

Part timer,

Absolutely will be there! I would love to see the piece. I'll dig my sample up as well. I am trying to think if there are any other cool things to bring for "show and tell"

Well, let's just say I know what you mean about the military. I thank God for the experience but it is a "MACHINE". My son issues, while not in anyway limiting him, will prevent him from military service. I am from a family of extensive single enlistment males. I am slightly sad, but also relieved that he will not be a veteran. Mixed emotions I guess. And yeah, if you can sort out the phone line colors you are "A- OK". I count many blessings everyday and frequently are associated with what I see.

Reid

Part_Timer

Reid

The wife is trying to teach me to upload pictures.  The 2 outside are black ash the inside is hard maple for contrast

Is this the mystery ASH???????

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Ironwood

Could be, not as green but that would not take much to bring in the green hue for where those are currently. Reid

Thank You Sponsors!