iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wish I had a portable mill in Tokyo!!

Started by JimBuis, May 17, 2005, 06:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

Well.....I live a good bit of the year in Tokyo.  That's a long story! ::)  Today, I ran an errand to the "Do It Store", Japan's version of Home Depot, to buy some stuff.  What did I see that was worthy of note? ???  An oak slab about 6 feet by 2 1/2 feet by 4 inches thick, that's ABOUT  2 meters by 1 meter by 1/8 meter for you foreigners.  ;D  What's a foreigner anyway? :)  Oh yeah,................the price tag was..............95,680 yen, that's about 900 dollars U.S. !!!! :o
     Seeing that slab with that price sure made me wish I had a mill over here! :'(

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Brad_S.

Heck Jim, I wish I could get the price for oak and poplar that HD sells it for here in the states! :D

I think it worked out to $6 a bdft for the oak and $4 for the poplar. I sell them for $2.75 and $1.80 respectively and still I get "I know where I can get it cheaper." Fine, go there. ::)

Interesting piece of wood to find in a DYI store.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sawguy21

Brad, I get the same line with a slight variation. Here it is"I can buy it for such and such a price on-line including freight and exchange" Usually well under my cost.  Me "Probably. So why are you here. You already have the lowest price" Him " Well, I want you to match it so I can get it serviced and delivered today" Me (not out loud) "P$$s off and quit wasting my valuable time"
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rockn H

Sawguy, don't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy that they want you to service and deliver after you let them have it for cost? 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!