iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why ask Why... bg/mbf

Started by Knickia, July 01, 2002, 09:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knickia

Why do people refer to 1000 bf as mbf ?  or am I just an Idiot (rhetorical question)

Paul_H

I'll answer your last question first.No,I don't think you are an idiot.
First question,I believe it is from Mille,Latin for 1000.(I've been wrong before)  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Also, Roman Numeral for 1000 is M
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

It sure takes less space to write with addition easier using the roman numerial M for 1,000. MMBF would be 1 million or 1,000,000 board feet.
~Ron

Kevin

Knickia

K (kilo) seems more logical to me.. or heck.. even Mega (megabyte)...
Million is 1,000,000 to 99% of the world =p

Paul_H

Hold the fort.Do kilo,and mille,mean the same?They must.So why is it kilogram,not millegram?

Mille must mean one thousandth.So my answer was out to lunch :-/ Wasn't it?

I vote for Wbf,a "whack" being truly North American 8)

Jeff

Welcome Knickia,

Just to save you some time and confusion. We don't use board feet cords tons or metric tons or any of that other nonsense on this forum :D

We use the Universal "Whack" Standard invented right here.

Click here for the whack standards.

Kevin

Tom

Oh-h-h-h, I understand.

Mega (M) means million and Mille (M) means thousand or M is a thousand in Roman Numerals so..................
MBF means a thousand board feet and MBF means a million board feet.  I got it....  I think.  Hmmmmm    :P

MMBF must mean Majormessa board feet or if you use Latin American instead of latin then maybe it means Muy Mucho  :-/ :P

RobK

In the international standard system, m is short for "milli" (eg millimeter) meaning 1/1000 (one one-thousandth) and k stands for "kilo" (eg kilometer) meaning 1000. (I paid some attention in high school physics!) One can prefix these to any unit (feet, meters, gallons, liters, people, whacks, etc) so for instance 2 kilopeople would be two thousand people. So really if the abbreviation MBF means "thousand board feet", it probably ought to be KBF. Somehow I get the feeling it won't ever be changed though.
-Rob

Paul_H

You got to go to high school?Here in Canada we can only go to grade 7.After that nothing >:(

So what you are saying is a Mbf is only one board foot? :o

I think the Wbf is here to stay 8)(less confusing)

Thanks Rob ;)

Bro. Noble

This letter discussion reminds of one I heard about a long time ago:

M-R puppies

M-R not

O_S_M_R     C-M-P-N     M-R-puppies
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Weekend_Sawyer

M R Mice
M R Not
O S A R, C M E D B D Feet
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Wenrich

A B, C D Bs?

M R O Bs

O S A R
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Jeff

Bro. Noble

Y  huh?

Y  ditto?

M !    R!    0 (notO!!!!) B's!

OSAR2B"s

Bro. Noble

Cedar Eater

M for mille for 1000 is an accounting abbreviation. For some reason accountants (who are historically resistant to change) kept to a Roman accounting system and it is their influence that shows up in materials accounting. K for kilo for 1000 is a scientific/engineering abbreviation.

Accountants work with counts and scientists/engineers work with quantities. The difference quickly degrades into exchanges of tactical nuclear weapons and we don't want to go there.

I learned this in the oil business where crude oil shipping and refining capacity is measured in MBD (thousand barrels per day) and gases are often measured in MSCFD (thousand standard cubic feet per day).

This usage is not limited to the US and is traceable to accounting rules the Romans used to supply their armies. Other nations have adopted the metric system for measuring distances, volumes weights, and temperatures and still use the Roman accounting system for tallys.

And so ends today's useless history lesson.
Cedar Eater

Ron Scott

Good explanation! Why the Roman numeral is used.  :P
~Ron

Sawyerfortyish

M
K
Maybe we should get a Roman to explain this!

Cedar Eater

Well, I know someone who's been accused of having Roman hands and Russian fingers. Would he qualify?  :D

Cedar Eater

Thank You Sponsors!