iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woods flowers

Started by redpowerd, May 15, 2005, 08:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

not much of a flower guy, but seen this interesting plant cuttin out a old road yesterday and snapped a photo. looks like a flower may be emerging from that whorl. anyone ID it? i have a few more after this one.
thanks

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

sprucebunny

I'd have to guess it's a Jack-in-the-pulpit. A protected species around here.

Thanks for the picture ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

redpowerd

http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H46.htm

this page has a drawin of one, the leaves branch from the ground, and has quite a bit of purple. they may be related. the fruit looks different too. smooth with no streaks.

heres another. two leaves.

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

SwampDonkey

red,

Your second flower is a trout lilly. I believe your first picture, although a cousin of Jack-in-pulpit,is a dfferent species, known as Green Dragon. This species is not as showy as our northern ones (3-subspecies), with purple leaves and red fruit. The calcium oxalate crystals in the taproot will cause a burning sensation if eaten. The burning sensation is extinguished when boiling the taproot, actually a corm. Others of the genus are aquatic.

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

thanks SD, its nice to know these small plants i come across in the woods. i know trees a and anything growing in a feild, good to point out some names when asked :)

heres one more, all these flowers were growing within ten feet of each other, in a very old stand of maples.

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

estiers

Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Jeff

I'd say so. Trilium is in full swing around here right now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Nah, he was just barely pleased.   :)
Say when

redpowerd

come again?

would that be the same as snowdrop?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

beenthere

repowered
The snowdrop is an amaryllis which is more lilly-like than the 3 petalled trillium.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Look like painted trilium, 3 sepals, 3 petals and 3 leaves. White flowers with pink or reddish veins in the flowers, reddest near the centre of the petal whorl. Might even be large flowered trilium, which is white flowered.

Our trilium are just emerging here, mostly the purple trilium.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I find myself looking underfoot at the smallest of flowers.  I think it is kinda neat that there is a whole world under there that we don't often notice.  Here is one of our pretty wildflowers.

SwampDonkey

Yup, there are a lot of tiny flowers we are always walking on with out even noticing. We have a tiny blue iris that looks like a blade of grass with a flower at the tip (pointed blue-eyed grass), then there is wild strawberries, ground ivy, blue bead lilly, asters, dog-toothed violet, red clover, twin flower, wild geranium, wood sorrel, hawkweed, bunchberry, winter green etc. When your in the woods, your walking on alot of these. ;) :)

sprucebunny

I believe this is another trillium. Very dramatic color for a wild flower.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Yup, sprucebunny, we have two names for them ones. Stinking trilium or purple trilium.

Here's one big one, notice the shoe for size ;D

Thank You Sponsors!