iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first real logs

Started by Jeff, May 14, 2005, 08:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I donated the lumber to the family cabin for replacing some boards on a walk across part of the swamp. :)

Today I hit my first iron with my first blade in the remainder of my first real logs. :)  I dont think I am going to have to worry about saving this blade to resharpen.

Hit a couple nails, but since we were sawing boards for a board walk, I kept sawing, as other then the roughness, it was still sawing O.k.  The 1/4 inch lag bolts, they pretty much demoted what was left of the last log to the firewood pile.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Don't through dat blade away. :o  Dat's da perfect candidate to hone yur sharpening skills on when ya set up da sharpener.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

leweee

That hardware strike is a lot less tramatic with a bandmill than a circular ...eh boss ;D  We all got side bets on when you start sawen parts of that mill :D :D :D Your going to have to change you signature to :"& experienced bandmill sawyer"
:)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

My mill is already experienced, does that count? :D  Every one of the back stops has deep saw cuts in them.

Tom

I recommend that you get out the Bondo and spray paint before somebody thinks you did it.  :D

wiam

Hey Tom we already did. :D :D :D :D

Will

Jeff

Chets my witness. He saw them before I got the mill started for the first time.  :)

Paschale

Congrats, there Boss!   8)  I think the highlight of the next Pig Roast will be firing up the WM and making sawdust!   8)  You're gonna have a ton of tailmen to help out!  ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

chet

???  Seen What...... :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DouginUtah

Just to keep the record straight....

Not once did I saw orange metal.

-Doug
  (Still grieving over my loss)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Brucer

Quote from: Jeff B on May 16, 2005, 07:36:19 PM
Today I hit my first iron with my first blade in the remainder of my first real logs.

Time to go read the current discussion on metal detectors, Jeff.  Jeff?  Jeff? DanG, he can't hear me -- that saws makin' too much noise  ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jeff

Quote from: DouginUtah on May 17, 2005, 12:38:43 AM
Just to keep the record straight....

Not once did I saw orange metal.

-Doug
  (Still grieving over my loss)

I knew you didn't do it Doug. :D   Pretty sure we can blame those on a Missouri sawyer. :)

KILROY

Jeff,
Like Chet said, that blade will be a good one to practice sharpening. Once you sharpen and set that blade it will saw again. If to many teeth are missing, it will mark a little. Save that blade for yard trees. :D You never know what could be in some of them. I sawed an old wrench someone put in the crotch of a walnut tree. 
Were those side supports to tall?  Just trim them back a little or did you get creative and hit something else.

Jeff

I counted up and that blade is missing 14 teeth completely, so I think it may be good only for sharpenin lessons. :)

KILROY

Jeff,
My dad hit a flint in a walnut stump. It took nearly every tooth off that blade. The flint was not even scratched. Some indian had lost it many years ago. 

Jeff

:D  I have this vision now of a log bursting into flames as flint and steel come together.

woodhick

Congrats on the "new" mill.   ;)  Be safe and enjoy.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

KILROY

Jeff,
I was not there when it happened, but I am sure sparks were flying.

OneWithWood

Well it took me a while to find my way to this thread.  Congratulations Jeff on sawing your first real log.  Were all those millions of fake logs you sawed up on that other mill useful knowledge wise?  IOW, how much of the knowledge you gained at the big mill transferred over to this one?

Burnign question number two:

What did Chet say to Tammy to make her try to pull him out of that tree?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

QuoteIOW, how much of the knowledge you gained at the big mill transferred over to this one?

Actually, I think there will be quite a bit. Two things very important. I am very aware what steel does to steel, and very aware what steel and mass of any kind can do to flesh.  I have a good sense of the dynamics involved in sawing wood which translates well to listening and feeling the relationships between the saw and the engine and the rate of cut.

There is one thing in paticular that the bandmill has reminded me of that I sort of forgot. Wood is HEAVY! :)

OneWithWood

Quote from: Jeff B on May 17, 2005, 11:49:27 AM
QuoteIOW, how much of the knowledge you gained at the big mill transferred over to this one?

There is one thing in paticular that the bandmill has reminded me of that I sort of forgot. Wood is HEAVY! :)

Have you reinjured your shoulder yet?  ;)

I will be interested in hearing if handling stressed logs is different now that you do not have hydraulic dogs to hold the stick straight.  I am still learning how to deal with stress in the log, but I am getting better at it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

My idea of handling stress will be to only saw nice straight logs with the pith perfectly centered. ;D

THe shoulder is a real problem yet. I hope it comes into it. I can deal with pain, but weak is weak. I hope it strengthens as the more I am able to do things

oakiemac

Congrats on the mill!

Now that you are getting some "free" logs you are going to be needing a few things. If the wife balks then just tell her that it is free lumber. This is what I do when I need some more hunting equipment, I just tell the wife that it is free meat.
Here is a partial listing:

understanding wife
Winches (note the pural)
cant hook
logging chains
moisture meter
chop saw
planner
1 ton truck
flatbed truck/trailer
pole barn
land in country
kilns
kiln chambers
forlift
bobcat
understanding wife
skidding tongs
lifting tongs
another chain saw
log trailer
several tons of stickers
metal sheeting to cover lumber piles
understanding wife
outdoor wood boiler to heat kiln and pole barn
air compressor
insurance
come alongs
blade sharpening stuff

Most important thing is a large credit card. But remember, it is free logs!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sigidi

Jeff,

on the shoulder side of things. Humans have a huge potential for adapting to any and all strains placed on the body. The only requirement we have to fulfill for this to take place is allowing the body the time it needs to adapt to these stresses.

Don't know if I am preaching here - so bear with me pls. The body adapts to new loads by being 'brocken' from the load which was applied to it, then the repair will fix it to a point that the same load won't break it again. So with this theory in mind a little pain is ok, but remember the reapair has to be allowed to happen before the load is applied again.

Most often you will find you feel worst 24-48 hours after you have stressed your body, not 0-24 hours after, so if it works out for you (in the early days) try and saw around this timing, it will give you the best oportunity for adaptation and recovery.

Allan Seagrave B.App.Sci (HMS) Occupation from what seems a lifetime ago

Jeff, I recall from your surgery that you had PT inplace at the time, are you still consulting with qualified professionals regarding your fantastic new step in life? If not and you come across any issues or have queries whatsoever - we are online 24/7 due to Wifeys business, so you can get hold of me anytime, via urgently marked emails or FF PM's

(PLEASE feel totally free to take up this offer, as damage caused to pre-existing 'weak' components is the worst to try and repair and recover from)
Always willing to help - Allan

Jeff

sigidi,

I have been going to my P.T. religiously, In fact I have a session later this afternoon. The prescription is still 3 times a week, with a regimen of home exercises.  The last 2 weeks the Doctor said "Its time to pull out the stops"  so things have gotten tougher. Weights have gone up, reps have increased and more forms of torture are now in place. :D

I have missed only 3 Therapy sessions prescribed since this all started late last spring.  The Therapy started before I had any surgery, was supposed to help. It only ripped me up more. Finally the first surgery in October. Arthroscopic. The surgeon proclaimed me fixed, only needed to heal and go through therapy. I did everything I was told and ended up worse. I questioned the Surgeons work and he dismissed me as someone who was trying to pull something. 

The employers insurance sent me for an IME. A "Independent Medical Evaluation" because this surgeon told them that there was nothing wrong with me, so they needed someone to agree. Well, the IME doctor said, HEY! there is something really wrong here, get this guy to a new orthopedic Dr.  Well, this new Surgeon had me retested and guess what? I still had a torn rotator cuff and impingement in the AC joint. 

This time in February, they opened me right up, repaired the tear, smooth out the joint and did what is called a Mumford procedure, where they trimmed of the end of my clavicle to help in operation of the AC joint. So, I have been doing P.T. since they took me out of the sling in March. Things are progressing now. Before, P.T. just screwed me up more, simply because I was still broken, now that I am repaired, things are getting better, however slowly.

My damage was caused by repetitive stress, it was brought on over a long time, and them I continued to work with it everyday for months after the damage was done. There were days when I had to "Carry" my arm out of the mill as I would push it until it simply would not even work any longer. It would recharge over night and I would go at it again the next day.  I was  misdiagnosed for several months initially. MRI's of my neck show all kinds of damage so they said all my problems came from there. I had to beg them to do the first ones of my shoulder and they said "By golly, there is a problem there"  :-\

This has been a long and miserable road. On the plus side, I think the world of my Physical therapists. I have two. Mitch, who's dad is a retired DNR forester, and Amanda, who's dad was chosen as Timbermen's logger of the year this year. Amanda had won a scholarship several years ago from the Michigan Association of Timbermen.  I found out all these things after I started therapy. They recognize where my troubles lie, the type of work I do, and have a good handle I believe on how my treatment should go now, much more perspective then the Dr.s.

Here is a link to Amands Dad's award page.
http://timbermen.org/excellence.shtml :)

Thank You Sponsors!