iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta go to Texas

Started by Corley5, May 12, 2005, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We've been wantin' one for a while and have been checking E-bay etc. for them.  Just missed one on Ytmag a year ago ::).  Today we got one.  Looks like another road trip.  According to Yahoo it's 1,304 miles and about 20 hours to Brownsboro, Tx from Wolverine.  Glad the price of diesel has went down a liitle bit 8)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7513890611
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Frank_Pender

Congrats on the new toy and have a delicious trip. 8)
Frank Pender

shopteacher

My, my Corley, that do look like one really neat toy.  How much are the shingles going to be when you get it all said and done?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Doc

Eat, drink, and feel very welcome in Texas! I lived there for a while, and loved it! Good folks there, and fine eating anywhere you stop. I certainly do miss Texas.....

Looks like a really nice machine for the money once you get things cleaned up and working properly. Post a flick to the mills in operation section when you get it home and running! I wanna see that thing work!

Doc

Part_Timer

Way to neat

have a safe trip
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Texas Ranger

Back in my forestry school days we visited a shingle mill in the Ozarks.  The hands that were working the saw were "digitally impaired".  Not a forgiving piece of equipment.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

thinking back, it was usually the last two fingers on the left hand, I guess once you trimed those two off, everything else was clear of the saw. :P

Jason_WI

There were a few shingle mills in our area. The operators were missing a few digits :o :o :o

Be careful...

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

sigidi

Good on ya Corley,

have fun and be safe
Always willing to help - Allan

asy

What? you mean they won't ship it to you???

I have visions of the USPS van turning up towing that thing covered in stamps!

Congrats! Have a safe trip!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

leweee

Congrats Greg ;D Happy hauling & have a safe trip.
Remember to count them digits before & after use. ::)
Play safe & have FUN. 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Curlywoods

Corley,  Not sure where the town is you listed in Texas, but if you make down US Highway 75 from Oklahoma, drop in our place in McKinney along the way and say howdy!  I might have to take you out for wonderful Mexican dinner  :)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

UNCLEBUCK

Wow Corley that is big ! That will neat to see !  Does it come with a operators manual and you going to be a custom shingle maker now ? Congratulations . Big day in Michigan isnt it , Jeff got a mill and you got a mill !  Fantastic
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Shotgun

Congrats Corley. Have a safe and fun trip. Maybe you need Furby for a navigator.  I'd like to see it sometime when you get it to MI.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Corley5

We'll probably go the weekend after Memorial Day.  I'm pretty excited about getting it.  I really can't believe that we got it bought for that much.  I figured it would sell for around $2,500.00 which was way more than I would've paid.  From what the owner told me this afternoon it has some sort of an auto feed mechanism on it.  Apparently you step on a pedal to activate it ???.  That should lessen the chance of becoming digitally challenged.  The ones I've seen work at tractor shows the operator manually operates the tilt and pushes the carriage right over the blade.  There are also two extra blades available for a $100.00 a piece that we're also gonna get.  The plan is to do away with the three phase motors and run it with flat belts as it was originally.  We don't have 3 phase here anyway.  Brownsboro is on 31 between Tyler and Athens southeast of Dallas.  I'm not sure what our schedule will be like.  I'd like to make some stops and visit and hopefully it'll work out that way.  I know we'll be passing close to Kirk's again.  Our route appears to be US-127 to I- 69 to I-70 to I-57 to I-55 to I-40 to I-30 to US 271 at Mt Pleasant, TX down to Tyler and then 31 to Brownsboro.  Operator's manual ???  I'm gonna have to look for one.  If Jeff can find manuals for dragsaws I oughta be able to find a manual for this thing maybe ;)  I've got a source for white cedar to make shingles.  How much do shingles sell for ???  It's intended to be more of working collectable to go with the sawmill and rest of the old iron but....  Stop in anytime anyone.  Always up for a visit :) :) :)

Corley5

I'm also looking forward to seeing a little bit of Texas. 8) 8) 8) 8)  Never been to Texas before.

Furby

You might have to take a detour to SAWLEX to meet up with some members eh? ;D

Texas Ranger

Corly, when you get to Texas, you may enjoy it so much you may not want to leave. 8)

But, about 2 hours south of Tyler is Lufkin, where the Texas Forestry Association runs a museum.  Lots of old heavy iron there.

Oh, and don't be real surprised if your trip into Texas basically looks like eastern Oklahoma and a lot of parts of Arkansas and Missouri/

Haytrader

Furby,

You were close to texas when you were here.
It is about 105 miles from here to Follet, Tx., and a little closer from where we looked at cedars.
Haytrader

Furby

Actually have been in Texas before!
Passed through the panhandle, nice ride.

Now if TR wants to set me up with his "niece"..........I may be sneaking a ride down there with you Corley! ;D

Haytrader

Furby,

You mean to tell me there are no nice neices in Nichigan?

:D  :D
Haytrader

Patty

Furby, you have a one-track  mind there!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

MULE_MAN

I guess you could call it a one track mind, But i think maybe
he has over active hormones   :D   :D  :D  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

ARKANSAWYER

As they say  "SWEEEET"!   You will be in the tall pine belt of Texas.   I have been through Brownsboro on 31 when I was stationed down at Ft Hood TX.   I would pick up HY 59 at Texarkana  and drop down to I 20 then pick up HY 271 and bypass Tyler and get onto HY 31.   But HY 271 off of I 30 is just about as fast.   
  When you get down this way I do not care how young the Trooper is who pulls you over his name is "Sir".  He will have lots of local kin and grew up in that neck of the woods.   He will not be impressed on how you do things up North.  He will be pleased that you know the full name of the folks you are looking for and have an ideal of where you are going.  Also the fact that you also know people in the area (good thing we have so many FF members down South) may save your grits.  Make no remarks agin grits, hound dawgs, mobile homes or slow Ford pickups that you just blowed the doors off of.   
  Should you get lost and find yourself in my neck of the Ozarks stop by.
ARKANSAWEYR   
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

And first and foremost, dont make fun of the guys down there that cant even spell thier own name.!

(ARKANSAWEYR ) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!