iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain full of dirt

Started by woodmiser, May 09, 2005, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmiser

Got my saw back from a friend & it appears that he cut down into the ground. I got the bar cleaned pretty good but the chain is full of dirt & crap. I want to put chain in plastic pail & soak it. What would I use. Thanks, Blaine

jjmk98k

probably best thing ( MY opinion) would be soak it in some kerosene, dipping it in and out to let it get some of the dirt out.... then shoot it wth come compressed air and rinse it in kero again....

make sure you wear eye protection when using the compressed air

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

wiam

How much tooth is left? How much is a new chain?  Is it worth it?  If more than half usable teeth are left, I would probably throw it in my parts washer,  then blow it out with air.

Will

Corley5

Put it on the saw, spray it with some fuel oil or something of the sort and fire the saw up and give it throttle.  It'll throw the dirt off.  Repeat the fuel oil treatment and run it again if any dirt remains.  Then sharpen the chain and you'll be fine.  Unless the chain is really screwed up.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

etat

To me dirt and oil and grease don't seem to mix too well.  I think I'd start out with high pressure water from a water hose and dissolve as much of the dirt as possible.  Maybe squirt a little dishwash soap on it or simple green or something while washing. I'd try to get the grit out and then I'd wash or soak it with kerosene, fuel, oil, whatever to finish it up.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SawTroll

Just sneak it into the dishwasher ;).
Information collector.

rebocardo

The couple of times I have had to clean chains that had dirt and sand in them, I soaked them in hot water and dish soap, squished them around, rinsed them with the hose sprayer, then soaked them in 5w30.

Kevin

Forget them in the pocket of your going out pants on washing day.
The chain will be sparkling clean and you'll have a good reason for not going out. :D

sawguy21

He will have to go out to escape the missus after that one. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I think Corley5 had the best advice, and 'best' because that is what I would do.  ;D 8)

Put it on the saw, spray it with some fuel oil or something of the sort and fire the saw up and give it throttle.  It'll throw the dirt off.  Repeat the fuel oil treatment and run it again if any dirt remains.  Then sharpen the chain and you'll be fine.  Unless the chain is really screwed up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jjmk98k

Quote from: Kevin on May 10, 2005, 07:24:55 AM
Forget them in the pocket of your going out pants on washing day.
The chain will be sparkling clean and you'll have a good reason for not going out. :D

now THATS the best idea,  8)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Chris J

Maybe get your friend to clean it  ;), or replace it  8).
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Buzz-sawyer

thats what I was thinkin from the start....not friendly to run a mans saw into the ground :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Mucha_Nada on May 10, 2005, 01:31:27 PM
Maybe get your friend to clean it  ;), or replace it  8).

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on May 10, 2005, 06:13:10 PM
thats what I was thinkin from the start....not friendly to run a mans saw into the ground :D :D

These two ideas are just what I had in mind as well.

Another option is to buy yer self a new cahin and give the friend the bill and old chain.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

woodmiser

Thanks guys for the tips. This so called friend has borrowed his last tool from me. I will clean it myself as there are about 3/4 of the tooth still there but I do expect a new chain from him or an offer to clean it. Now I know what my daddy meant when he said don't lend your friends money or tools, *DanG don't you just hate when he's right again.
Thanks Blaine

jjmk98k

good point, i almost never loan out anything....... just hate to have that kind of situation arise....

Jim

Chris J

Sure seems like your dad gave some sound advice.  My dad, bless his heart, couldn't & still can't, say no to anyone.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

fishhuntcutwood

It's amazing the guys that want to borrow a saw to "clean up some stuff around the house."  It's worth my time to go over some afternoon, and do it myself.  Most people just don't know any better, and they equate a chainsaw along the same lines as a weed eater.  Use it and put it away.  Even though you should take care of a weed eater just as well as you do a saw!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

SawTroll

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on May 11, 2005, 03:43:38 AM
It's amazing the guys that want to borrow a saw to "clean up some stuff around the house."  It's worth my time to go over some afternoon, and do it myself....... 
Thats what I have done several times........

By the way, I was serious about the dishwasher!
Works great.
Information collector.

beenthere

Isn't it also amazing to watch someone use their saw and it seems like on 'every' bucking cut, the saw tip hits the dirt. Like their cut isn't complete unless the saw turns some dirt. They always are working with a dull chain. Duh!  :D

Kinda reminds me of a fellow student in college, when he tied his tie (we wore them lots back then) he couldn't get the wide end longer than the narrow end, so he just cut off the narrow end with the scissors.  :)  His ties just kept getting shorter and shorter, and he never was interested in learning how to tie it right.

I never, ever loan my saws to anyone, (save for some FF members that I haven't met yet but know they know saws)   but will go along with the saw to do some sawing if it's needed.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GF

Might try beating the chain over his head , that may loosen some dirt in two places.  :D ;)

SawTroll

I talked to a Husky rep at a promotion arrangement at my local dealers place yesterday.
When I mentioned claning air filters and chain in the dishwasher, he told me that he knew a saw tech who actually had an old one in his workshop. If needed, he cleaned the whole saw in it, after stripping off covers etc and sealing off where nesassary.
Beware of  smiley_argue01 smiley_angry wife! 
Information collector.

maple flats

I olny loan my saws to someone who has one of their own and but needs a bigger one and if I know them to be careless like that they don't get mine. I may however go with the saw, you never know, you might even end up with some free logs cut the right length. Plan on using the metal detector. Had I lent it out however and it came back like that I would tell them that the chain needs to be replaced and how much they cost, I would pro-rate the replacement roughly based on wear on teath when lent. Then I would rinse it in kerosene and sharpen it and use it if good enough.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

etat

I wouldn't charge em nothing.  What I would do is, without calling names, use the ruined chain and  the story behind it  as a excuse to stop loaning tools

Exceptions could be made then if you ever did not mind loaning someone something.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!