iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weedeater

Started by etat, May 08, 2005, 09:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Not exactly a chainsaw but I need me a weedeater for around the yard and things.  Something lightweight, easy to crank, and mostly problem free.  I'm thinking some kind of Stihl but figured I'd check with yall chainsaw guys first.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Sprucegum

I bought a Husky R323 a couple weeks ago and I'm real happy with it.

It'll take the double string thing for regular grass
the square blade thing for rosebushes (not the wife's!)
and a sawblade thing for young saplings up to 1 1/2 inch dia.

Old_Town

I own both Stihl and Echo and they both are great. I probably lean more to the Echo because the parts are cheaper and easier to get. The Echo SRM-210 is a great lightweight commercial grade trimmer. I paid $199 for mine and I have been very happy with it. The Stihl is 4 yrs old and still going strong. I say take your pick they are both excellent. I have been hearing good things about the Kawasaki trimmer as well.

Good Luck,
T

beenthere

I have had Stihl, first an FS90 and now an FS120. Plenty of power for sawing brush and small trees, up to 2" and sometimes up (if I work at them a bit). Never a problem and couldn't (and wouldn't ) be without it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dansaylor

i have a husky 326lx and i had it for 2 years seems like a good weedeater....only prob i had was gasline come off other than that no downtime...had a greenmachine that lasted for almost 15 years...they was good ones...don't know about the new ones.

boilerhouse47

I've had a Stihl FS 55 for 3 years and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The only tip I have is to get a weedeater with a shoulder strap. If you do any amount of trimming on a hillside or are cutting below the level of your feet the strap will take alot of pressure off of your back.
Just like to cut fire wood!!

StihlDoc

Here is a good and inexpensive model for around the home...

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS55.html

davefrommd

I have a cub cadet 18" gas trimmer don't know the model#  that takes apart to use a hedger, pole chainsaw, and other attachments. I have these two accessories and they work very good. I normally don't like 5 in 1 tools but am impressed with the quality and performance of the cub cadet. It's listed as a commercial engine, has aluminum shaft, always starts easily with no problems.  It sells for $169.00.  dave

jjmk98k

Husqvarna 326 RJx

great running, quiet running beast and VERY powerful.... easy loading trimmer strng head and is blade compatable

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Roxie

I just bought the Stihl FS46 (Easystart) model.   :)  I wanted a weedeater that I could start without tearing my shoulder out of joint.  This model is called the Easystart and it really works.  You just pull the rope out slow, and it takes off from there.  It's light enough that I use it every weekend for about a half hour, and I don't need a shoulder strap. 
Say when

Daren

I had a Ryobi given to me by an old boy who thought I could use it. It had a brushcutter blade, I bought a pole saw attachment with enough extensions to reach 12' up (from waist high). I like it because you can whack weeds, brush and trim limbs. They make all the attachments like everyone else (little tiller, sidewalk edger, none of which I would ever need, but they all change in a snap) It is 4-cycle, no mixing gas/oil, that is sometimes hard to remember if I am working on timber where I am building a house. I keep wanting to put the chainsaw gas in it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

D._Frederick

Take a look at the Shindaiwa string trimmers, they have 6 different size models. There horsepower to weight ratio is real good, so not so tiring to use.

Chris J

About 13 years ago I bought the smallest Echo they make.  I paid $149.00, & consider that to be money well spent.   And I guard my $$ like a mama goose guards her nest  :D.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

jjmk98k

well CK, whats it gonna be?????
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

rebocardo

> Something lightweight, easy to crank, and mostly problem free

I just bought a Ryobi from Home Depot for $149 with the brush blade and string trimmer head. It is not easy to crank, recommended # of pulls, way too many. Something like 12 and it dies when you let off the gas. Hoping it runs better once broken in. I wanted a Husky or a Stihl with that cir. saw blade that attaches to it. My wallet wanted Ryobi ...

Furby

I'd take it back in the morning rebo!
I've been dealing with one of those pain in the a** things for several years now!
Had it apart and didn't get the clutch spring on right and chewed it up a week ago.
NOBODY has parts for them! Been told that you don't fix Ryobi's, you throw them away......wish I could!

rebocardo

> Been told that you don't fix Ryobi's, you throw them away

Pretty much what I expected. They tried to sell me the extra warranty, hopefully in two years when the OEM is up,  I can afford a real one :-D

I did ditch the head for a GrassGator so I do not have to deal with the bump head, I hate those things.

maple flats

The only good one I ever had was a Shindaiwa, paid $349 in 1993. Had good power, used a double .105 string or a sawblade. After about 3 years trying to keep brush from over running my 4 1/2 acres of blueberries it wouldn't start. The dealer said it needed a new sideplate? that the gas flows thru to the tune of $150 plus labor, I never fixed it. Just bought something for $129 and gave up in the blueberries with that type of tool. I now use a pneumatic pruner for up to 1.5" and a chainsaw for bigger.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV_hillbilly

I have an Stihl FS 46 for 3 years now . It hasn't given me one lick of trouble . It's great for around the house . On Wensday I just replaced my 20 year old JD ( echo )  straight shaft trimmer .  It was a good one too but I'm a stihl man so I bought an  FS 110 with the 4 point and circular style metal blades .  It is a beast.  It sounds weird cause it has the 4MIX  4 cycle engine on it . It takes 2  cycle mixed gas just like my saws . I spent 4 hours today cutting a bank with Honeysuckle on it . What a job . That stuff is tuff to get rid of .
Hillbilly

etat

Well, I did it.  I broke down and brought KIM a weed eater! ;D

Just kidding.  :) 

I  bought a Husqvarna 323L 325x-Series.  I got it at yer basic Box Store cause I decided I wanted one TODAY and they were open today.  I took the head off that came on it with the bump string thing and put a head on it that takes the four little plastic pieces with the metal inserts. 

I took me a few minutes to figure out how to change the head but once I figure out what the lock pin that came with it was, and where to put it to lock the shaft everything fell into place.  Screwed the old head off, and screwed the old one on.

I also bought a new gallon jug and the little things of oil that are one bottle to a gallon.  I figured out this would save confusion in mixing the gas up and getting the right mixture everytime. 

I filled it up with gas and it cranked right up.  I was surprised at how quiet it was and how good it ran, especially considering the old 'weedeater' brand that I throwed away.  That old one was about always hard to start and keep idling.  I had learned to hate it and that's a fact.  Maybe it was just a bad one, I don't know.  Anyway.

So far I've run three tanks of gas through the Husky trying to catch up some on weed eating.  The Husky is easy  to use, extremely well balanced, and runs like a champ.  You can cut it off, lay it down, and ONE pull and it cranks right back up.  MUCH MUCH better than the old one I had. 

Total cost of the thing including the extra head, a extra pack of inserts, a new gas jug, and half a dozen or so of them little bottles of mix was Three Hundred Fifty Seven dollars and change. 

Does NOT include the gallon of gas I stopped and bought on the way home. :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!