iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Condo's going up in Rossland

Started by Brucer, May 08, 2005, 01:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Yep, we're seeing a real construction boom here. The ski hill got a new owner last year -- someone who knows what he's doing for a change. Seems like everybody with an acre or two near the "hill" is putting up condos. They're asking outrageous prices -- and getting them.

There's even a couple of condos going up on the other side of town near my place  ;D.

This is the tree my mill is parked under at the moment (30" Western Red Cedar). I walked around to the back side this spring for the first time in a couple of years, and this is what I discovered -- along with a big pile of wood chips.

The holes are about 4" wide and 8" tall. That's bigger than we usually see around here. Usually they're half the size and the tree will have dozens of them. It'll be interesting to see if the woodpecker finished off the ant colony -- if it didn't there'll be more development at this location  in the future :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redpowerd

another popular destination, sucker brook.  allthough a bit less expensive than the afformentioned accomadations, these feature waterfront views.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

sprucebunny

Yup, we got plenty near the White Mtn. National Forest, too. These feature views out the back windows into Maine.

I really think the building inspector should be called in though....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

Brucer, my folks had a summer cottage at Mabel Lake east of Enderby in the sixties. They bought two acres of undeveloped hillside and beach front for $300.00 to cover the outstanding taxes. :D I will never be able to afford a place there. Today's prices for condos are outrageous and there is a waiting list :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

This basswood didn't show any signs of insects but apparently the woodpecker knew something I didn't.  He showed up at the house bird feeders a few times this winter for a quick snack on a suet cake.  He never stayed long enough for me get a picture.  Quite an impressive bird

The ground is covered with chips around the trees base.  They musta really been flyin
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

slowzuki

We have numerous signs of the sap suckers in one area of the woods... Unfortunately they attack healthty trees for a source of sap...

Brucer

Joan: I agree -- the building inspector certainly needs to have a look at that one!  ;D

Greg: The holes in my cedar were made by a Pileated Woodpecker. There's rarely any external sign of ants in the cedars -- the woodpeckers listen for them. I'd never have believed this except that I once had carpenter ants in my attic. First thing in the morning before everyone was up and about we could hear them grinding away above the kitchen  :(.

Slowzuki: Fortunately the woodpeckers are not after the tree, they're after the ants. And the ants are not eating the tree, they're living in the fungus that has infested the centre of the butt. The outer shell is healthy and this tree will probably stand for decades.

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 08, 2005, 08:13:03 PM
... my folks had a summer cottage at Mabel Lake east of Enderby in the sixties. They bought two acres of undeveloped hillside and beach front for $300.00 to cover the outstanding taxes. :D I will never be able to afford a place there. ...

You're not kidding! I just drove through that area when I was picking up my mill a  couple of months ago. Talk about high end accomodation :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!