iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

truck problem

Started by thedeeredude, May 07, 2005, 06:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

OK, I got a problem with my truck a 1991 chevy 1500, 350, 5 speed.  I got it in feb. and since then we put all new fluids in, it got new coil and plug wires, new spark plugs, coolant temperature sensor, idle air controller, thermostat, fuel filter, I think thats everything :o  Anyway, the problem is hesitation and bucking.  If its idling at ~700rpm and you give it gas, it stumbles and coughs for a few seconds on its way up.  The other problem is when its cold, anywhere from 0-40 outside, it bucks when I let the clutch out. it does that the first few times I pull out.  Any ideas ???  Thanks

maple flats

sound like it might be a timing problem, hope the timing chain doesn't need replacing. Try a timing light to see if the advance is right. ??? ::) :'(
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

thedeeredude

Forgot that one, timing is right near perfect.

etat

Does it have a carbureator and choke.  Sounds like the choke may be sticking.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

thedeeredude

nope, its got TBI.  my dad thinks it may be a leak in the intake gasket, something wrong with fuel pressure, and he tells me I need a ford engine ???

thecfarm

Your dad is a smart man. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wiam

Yeh,  smart except for the f-word. :D

Will

thedeeredude

OYYYYY...........I'm gonna tell, I'm gonna tell :D

sawguy21

Try spraying some carb and choke cleaner around the TBI base and the manifold gaskets with the engine idling. If there is a leak, the rpm will drop when the stuff gets in the air stream.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

etat

Thinking hard.  A guy I used to work for had a truck that was acting like that with the TBI.  I can't remember the details but there was a wire going either to, or somewhere near the TBI and whatever it was hooked to was bad.  We replaced it and it cured the problem.  It was a long time ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

The ford engine would be a good cure! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kirk_Allen

Not for sure on this one but doesnt the idle air controller have to be set by starting the engine (do not push the gas pedal) then let it idel for 15-20 minutes?

Thats what cured the problem on my boys truck. 

Captain

Sounds to me like a vaccum restriction on the lower side of the throttle body for the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor.   The vaccum port is close to the PCV and they tend to get plugged up over time and miles.  A vaccum leak to the MAP sensor or an incorrect PCV valve (causing an internal vaccum leak) will also do the same thing.

Captain

DanG

If I had a GM product and had a problem with it, I'd be listening to what Captain has to say about it.  He know about what he say. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thedeeredude

My dad said they don't have map sensors on the early models like mine.  I'm out of ideas, but he thinks its an air leak at the TBI

hawby

dude,

I vote for a vacuum leak. Either a hose or the intake manifold. Be carefull when spraying carb cleaner. I had to replace some wiring and tubing when one of my S-10 pickups caught fire  :-[ Have an extingusher closer than 200 yards  :-\

Far as that F-word goes... they ain't bad... in somebody elses's yard  ;D If'n they ever match GMs transmission capabilities... they would be halfway to making a good truck. I do like the new body style though. Glad they discovered galvanized metal stops the rust through.
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

wiam

I have a 1988 2500, 350, tbi, 5 speed.  It has a MAP sensor.

Will

Captain

Rest assured, it has a MAP sensor.

Roxie

Does anyone else remember back to the days when a vaccum problem in an engine was solved by putting clothes pins on the vaccum line?   :D :D  We also kept a rock on the manifold for carberator adjustments.   :)
Say when

etat

In my case the rock was to prop open the choke, you had to have one just the right size. ;D

I never did use a cloths pin but as on lots of them vacuum lines weren't needed on the older models they'd eventually get plugged by cutting em and sticking a bolt in em, or whittling down a stick and plugging em. 8) 8)

Don_Papenburg

Had a 91 s10 that did that and then started doing it all the time . Go to the junk yard  take out the computer box under thje dash I think it is .  Match it up with the ones they have . Has to be the same numbers.   A used one will be just as good as a new one . for half the price . and a new one will be just as likely to go bad.   My S10 ran good after that junkyard transplant till I sold it . I think the guy that bought it still runs it.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

OneWithWood

Quote from: hawby on May 08, 2005, 08:09:09 PM

Far as that F-word goes... they ain't bad... in somebody elses's yard  ;D

Sure is nice having one in my yard. 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

hawby

OWW,  yes I know, they seem to work out good for some people. They just never seemed to for me.

I got a little prejudiced towards them in the 70's when a good friend of mine worked at a valve factory. He said that GM bought the select stuff... Ford the seconds, Chrysler the rejects from both of them, and American Motors bought what was left over. That was right about the time that my dad had to do three valve jobs on a 351W in 18 months. I had a 302 that got 8 mpg with no load, downhill with a tailwind in a F100. What a crappy truck that was.
I know the International engine (PowerStroke) has really helped them out, but the trannys (automatics) are dropping like flies according to a mechanic friend of mine. Its just like tractors or sawmills, they all do the job, some do it better for some people. The really bad ones go out of business.

For me GM products have perofrmed well and I know how to work on 'em. Tractors are green and mills are Orange  ;D Seeya at SAWLEX  :)
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

RSteiner

The vacuum leak idea sounds like a distinct possibility. 

Did you do a fuel line pressure check?  Along that line the injector might be plugged a little and the pressure okay.  I had a van that acted the way you describe and it turned out to be a bad injector in the throttle body.  I found that out after changing the fuel pump.

It seems like you hae covered most of the bases in the electrical department but I wouldn't rule out a problem in the distributor.

At times like this I think I like the days of points and carbs better.  You only had to worry about a couple of things but you had to deal with them more often.

Randy
Randy

Kirk_Allen

Quote from: OneWithWood on May 09, 2005, 12:18:12 PM
Sure is nice having one in my yard. 8)

OWW - So does your wife have flowers planted around it to make it look good :D :D :D

customsawyer

This place reminds me of opening the hood of your truck at walmart parking lot you will have more mechanics looking down in ther telling you what is wrong than you can afford to fix. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thedeeredude

No, I can't afford to do all this stuff, so how about a Forestry Forum Collection Plate for fixing my truck.  Huuh?  Pretty please? :D

OneWithWood

Kirk, it looks real good all by itself, thank-you very much  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Teri

Guess I better take my truck to the Walmart parking lot. :D  I got the same problem with mine. Only difference is ..mine is a 93 chevy 1500,4.3, v6, 5 speed
Dad and Ed just put a new clutch in it for me about a month ago. 8) Now all I need is a new paint job and she'll be looking like a brand new one.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!