iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling logs ....

Started by TexasTimbers, May 07, 2005, 08:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Is anyone using a gooseneck trailer to haul logs?
I've been using a 20' tandem axle and I'm going to an auction this a.m. to do a inspection on a 32' with tandem axle duals; that's not counting the 5' dovetail and ramps according to my buddy who's already scoped it out last night, and I'm going to bid on it.
It would haul a handfull of logs AND my skid steer which would be real handy.
I know there are dedicated loader/haulers but they are too expensive for now (til we get the house built) and they ain't none around here.
Just wondered how many of you have had to use this stopgap measure before.
KJ.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

hawby

Seen it done. The guy had a 1 ton Ford diesel. Real slick. He had the stakes and steel runners. They were bolted to the frame. I just slipped my forks under the logs and was the nicest unloading job a customer has provided.
I would like one too  ;D
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

DanG

:D  I would hardly call a 32' gooseneck dual tandem trailer a "stopgap measure!"  Sounds like about a 12 ton rig...a lot more than most pickups want.  Ya DanG tootin' ya can haul logs on it, though.  It is probably your best bet, unless you got 20 grand layin' about to spend on it.  Good luck at the auction! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dewwood

I have a 40' gooseneck that I haul logs with.  It works very well, when I need to take my loader I just move the back bunk to the front of the trailer and there is room on the back to put the loader.  I can put two bunks of logs and the loader and haul it all back home.  If not using my loader to load with I like to leave the bunks further to the back to put most of the weight of the logs on the trailer axles as they are much heavier rated than the drive axle on the truck.  Here is a photo I took a while back with a little too big of a load on, over 2000'.

A good set of log bunks really helps when hauling plus it is illegal to haul logs here without them.  One other note, a 40' trailer with an additional 8' to 10' of gooseneck is as hard to get around with as a 50' semi trailer and you need a CDL for my combo as the GVW of the unit is 35,000.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Daren

I do it, like you said, you can get the skidsteer and the logs. It's my buddies trailer, he does alot of log running for me, or I use it when he is out of town and doesn't need it. He is getting a different trailer and I am going to buy the one we use. I like that is low, he has a big skidsteer, backhoe, loader... I have a small Bobcat, he can load some on that I could never lift off a higher trailer, but I can push them off the side with my machine then deal with them.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

customsawyer

I do the same thing alot of the time but be careful it is very easy to overload the trailer. Two weeks ago I picked up 2 loads at a local mill the first load had 19200 lbs of logs on the trailer the second had 23400 lbs of logs on the trailer that put my truck trailer and logs grossing over 38500lbs the first load looked heavier than the second until I saw the scale ticket. If I hadn't known the weight I would have tried to pull it to fast. Make sure the trailer has good brakes.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

TexasTimbers

Yes an F-350 is what I drive too, it takes alot to squat it but of course it has happened before ;)

I attended the auction and lo and behold the trailer didn't have a title and had farm tags on it. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
I have a buddy who owns a tire store here in Bonham and he got pulled over once pulling a trailer he'd bought on the cheap with no title, and when the cop ran it, it came back stolen . He ended up losing the trailer of course.
My dad has a 32' trailer he said I could have, but it would take so much time and labor to get it roadworthy it wouldn't be worth it. It's 3 10,000lb axles with those 12-16.5 sized tires, hydraulic tilt and a huge electric winch. He bought it at an auction 15 years ago and the C-70 that pulled it with a dozer on top. Doubled his money on the dozer, and the rig has been sitting and rotting since then. Wish I'd realized it's worth before it got in such bad shape.
I'll wait til the right one comes along again ..... with a title!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JoeyLowe

Hey Kevin:

How's it going?  When you gonna stop back by here?  Reference using a gooseneck, go for it.  Just remember that in Texas the bunks have to be permanent.  They cannot be removable.  Also, you will need a CDL and the DOT has some interesting rules that apply to log haulers too.  Good luck.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

ARKANSAWYER

Nope! would never do it.  One would be tempted to overload that little darling and then trouble will begin.  DOT will be wanting to talk to you and the coin they like is high. 
    I have a 14,000 # trailer I use and with the truck I have to keep under 25,999 lbs total weight or CDL and extra insureance is needed.  Better check the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

DanG

Kevjay, there's a fella here who has a trailer setting by the road for sale.  It appears to be between 25-30 ft, dual tandem gooseneck.  I could stop by and see what he wants for it.  How much ya willin' ta spend?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tnlogger

Arky thats the way to haul cedar  8) Over here ya gots to have them standards to be legal.
gene

FiremanEd

Before my brother went full time logging we used our 20' 14ton gooseneck for logs. We have an 8' log bunk. It's totaly self contained, and free standing. All we have to do is set it on the trailer, run a chain across the cross peices of it and load it. We could pull about 1500 bd ft on it with no problem behind the diesel F-350. It was really handy when loading w/ the farm tractor, it's very manuverable in the woods.

Ed
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Thank You Sponsors!