iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Ole Rockytop"

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 06, 2005, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Had a good trip to Costa Rica.  I have now covered nearly ¾ of the country, by vehicle. I got the butt strain to prove it.  ::) ;D

First got into San Jose to help my friend Reina sell some of Ken's equipment, so she can keep the bills paid. Sunday, her son, Victor wrecked his motorcycle. Some blind guy ran into his front wheel, on a curve, in the middle of San Jose. Victor was banged up real good, but, nothing real serious. Took 3 days to get Reina settled down.

Thursday, took off for Ciudad Quesada. It's easily a 2 hour drive. That's where CRtreedude lives. Arrived there a little after dark, and walked the mile or so to Fred's house. Had a great visit as always, and then off to bed.

Next morning, Fred and I went into the town and had Breakfast. Struck up a conversation with Ronald, the owner. Told him why I was there, and by Wednesday night, he had called the house, telling us about some figured wood he thinks he has located for me.  8)

CR has the friendliest people, and, if they like you, they will do anything to help. Ronald put the word out and was getting feedback from who knows where. It amazes me how word of mouth travels in CR. He could have info from 100 miles away. I would not be surprised.  ;D

From Ronald's "Soda", that's what the small cafe type places are called, we went out to the Finca. The new house is looking good.  Fred is the tall one, the "Old guy". ::) ;) ;D

All the lumber was sawn from logs using a chainsaw "Alaskan" mill. Some of this stuff is H A R D.  I'm not sure what wood this log is, but, the log is 30+" dia.

This wood is "Lau'rel". It dries pretty light weight, and looks like a light colored Walnut.  It's used for ceiling boards, ½" X 3½" or so. My Metric numbers need working on. ::) ;D

Spent the day talking with Orlando, the woodworker that's building the house, and then we went back to town.

On Sunday, Fred took me around to find some sawmills to see if we could locate figured wood closer to his location. No such luck, but, we did go to see the Tourist places in La Fortuna. There is some really neat woodcarvers and such in that town.

On the way, we spotted Arenal, the Volcano. Usually, it has clouds covering the top 1/3rd. Sunday, it was in full view.

The closer we got, the more impressed I became.

Finally, we got real close.

I am totally impressed. Arenal is active, and at night, with clear skies, you can see the glow of the Lava. Occasionally, it spews rocks and Ash, along with Lava, as evidenced by the slides on the North Slope in the pics.  ;D ;D ;D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Hey, thank for keeping us informed on your trip to CR. Great pictures.

tnlogger

Harold great pics  8) well did ya find any figured wood  ???

welcome home and ya give teri a chance on that putor  ;D :D :D
gene

Paschale

Cool pics!!!  Thanks for sharing!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sandmar

Love the updates FDH. I hope that isn't all the pics?  :-\

Sandmar

UNCLEBUCK

That is very neat ! You walked a mile to Freds house does that mean that alot of people have no roads at all to their houses . I think I could like that !  Be careful down there
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Fla._Deadheader

There are roads down there. They are so rough, you can almost outwalk the taxi's to yer destination.  ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ernie

Great pics, thanks.  I assume you have many more ;) ;)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

crtreedude

Whadda ya mean, the old one! I'll have you know Orlando is roughly my age. (I think about 4 years younger.)

By the way, I did find some figured wood I think. I got a picture of it.  Once I get a chance I'll post it for you.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Try to get Hector to price that Cocobolo 2 X 4 that we found. If it has no sapwood and the price is decent, cut it in 2 pieces and ship it in the container.
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

FDH is on the prospectin' trail again  8) 8)

It will be interesting to follow this new adventure  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Teri

He's already driving me nuts around here. I'm not bored anymore!!  :D :D :D

sigidi

Great Pics FDH - keep 'em coming 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

SwampDonkey

I also like the pictures of the valcano. We don't have any active ones up here, just some coastal and rockies with glaciers. I've seen lotsa mountains on the west coast that have cloud overhanging most of the year and if it ain't rainin just wait a few minutes. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

For those who love Volcano pictures:

http://www.fincaleola.com/arenal_volcano.htm

The blurry one was taken by a friend at night of a really nice lava flow - we were hanging out in the hotsprings and the volcano was clear and putting on an act for everyone. Very cool. (or should I say hot...)

It is a hard job but someone has to do it.

crtreedude

By the way Harold, the 30+ inch log is Ojoche - very fine hardwood, primarily used for doors and for wood sculpture - this was one damaged by lightening strike.

crtreedude

Okay, we got pictures! Just uploaded a few from looking at a new finca to buy - about 500 acres. The neatest thing is that it has 150+ acres of virgin rainforest - that would be protected.

We ran across a log we are negotiating for - it is a downed Almendro - very large in good shape. Also found a Ceiba that is huge and very healthy.

This picture is a potential figured wood - notice that the trunk is twisted - this is how this tree grows - and the wood is very hard. It is a fruit tree.

The top of the Almendro

Yes, those are real horses next to the log

And yes, those are men on horseback at the base of the tree - the height of the tree has to be at least 200 feet.

beenthere

crtreedude
Nice pics of your project.

You mentioned ""150+ acres of virgin rainforest''".  What makes it 'virgin' ?  That the forest has never been cut?  That the trees in the forest now have never been cut?
Or that the trees are very large, and have never been cut? 

I'm not trying to be critical, but interested in the term 'virgin rainforest'.

I was in the rainforest once, where the guide was talking of walking through this virgin rainforest, while talking about the numbers of empires (Spanish, etc) that occupied that land and had totally removed the forest at least three times over the centuries. It apparently comes back pretty fast given a couple hundred years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Virgin rainforest means that it has not been cut in memory in my opinion.  This section of Costa Rica didn't have very many people - ever. Most of the population was in the central valley. When the Spaniards arrived, there were almost nobody here - because of that almost all of Costa Rica is populated by Europeans - When I have been in the sun for I while, I am darker than many of the people here - since I am part native american.

Arenal erupt on a wide scale back at the turn of the century - but nobody noticed.  If a trees falls in the forest.... There was no one arround to see it.

They only knew when they started researching the previous flows.

About 30 to 40 years ago, most of this area was total rainforest for as far as you could see.

In the tropics, a very old tree is 350 years old - they just don't last that long. They get really big and then pull out of the ground. Ceibas can live a long time, which is surprising since they are a softwood - but I am told the heart is very hard.

Unfortunately, this isn't our project - but perhaps it will.

I personally prefer managed forest over virgin - much more wildlife. Old growth tends to not have a lot of fruit, etc. Secondary growth is really good for the animals. Some older sections for seed stock, and some younger for food is my preference.

Yes, the forest will come back - if all the nutrients aren't lost - then it takes a lot longer.

Fred

SwampDonkey

That's what's unique about rain forest is that the nutrients are mainly in the vegetation. If it's cleared and burned it takes a while to recouperate the site nutrients.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Except when you happen to near a volcano - then you have the most beautiful soil you ever saw.  We have your classic sandy loam - that is from an ancient lahar (volcanic mudslide).  8)

Stick a pole into it, and it will sprout - honest.  We actually have to prune our fences.

Teri

If ya have to prune the fences then I'll stay right here at home.  :D :D

crtreedude

Why do you think we want your dad to move down here....  :D

Teri

Just wait till he gets home in a day or so and sees this!!! You're gonna be in trouble!!!  ;D ;D

crtreedude

No more than normal - besides, I am finding trees for him, including figured wood.

Speaking of Harold - does he know the only way to prospect for wood is on horseback.... !?

I volunteered to put him on Toro, my horse, but he was a tad bit reluctant.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!