iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Make and Break Club

Started by D._Frederick, May 06, 2005, 12:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

The MAKE-BREAK ENGINE CLUB had a get together at are local shopping mall parking lot.  Most of  the bigger engines were mounted on a trailer, so they were parked, un-hooked, and cranked-up.

One fellow had two dragsaws , a Vaughn and a RM Wade. He was trying to saw with the Vaughn but was having fuel problems.

The Vaughn  dragsaw was sawing

The RM Wade dragsaw

There are two types of  make and break engines,  the vertical cylinder  engine and the horizontal cylinder engine. The vertical engines have a sealed crankcase that has lube oil in it to lubricate the crank and  connecting rod. They were a much better engine with a lot longer life than the horizontal engines.  The horizontal engines did not have a very good way to lubricate connecting rod bearing. I remember my DAD re-pouring the Babbitt bearings  that were hammered out for the lack of grease.

Below are the vertical engines

Below are the horizontal engines

MULE_MAN

Good picture's !!! I never seen a drag saw like that before !! It's different !!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

tnlogger

good pics gota love dem old engines 8)
gene

Jeff

I'd love to have a wade dragsaw.  smiley_blue_bounce
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures D.  Interesting stuff.

In this part of the country we call them things "hit and miss"....first time I ever heard the term "make and break".  Is it some kind of regional thing?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D._Frederick

Larry,

The make and break refers to the type of ignition these old engines used.  The ignition consisted of a dry cell battery with an induction coil, inside the engine head is a set of points that on the firing stroke is closed, upon opening they produce a spark that fires the engine.

Corley5

Great pics 8)  I love hearing the old engines run :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

UNCLEBUCK

Every saturday a very old man in a suit stops by to see me and tries to get me to be a jehova witness , I have always been nice to him as they seem to get run off alot, he asks alot about the sawmill etc..  one saturday he is a master accordian player and grew up running a big frick sawmill and has a huge collection of drag saws . Never heard of such a thing so I go check it out . These things are awesome . What a invention ! They call those engines hit and miss here in west central minnesota . There is a ad in the Lehmans catalog where a hit and miss is hooked up to a 5 gallon old fashioned ice cream maker. A million uses for them but highly collected . Thanks for showin D.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sawguy21

There is a collection of hit and miss engines at the fall fair in my hometown each year. They are neat to see and listen to. What is the origin of this type and why were they so widely used instead of a conventional engine?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pigman

There is an old tractor show today in Carrollton,Ky. There was a Whitte drag saw made by Whitte Engine Works, Kansas City, Mo. It was not running but looked to be in good condition.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

asy

Seemed the right thread to show a photo I took at the wood show the other week.

This old saw was sure making a racket!

It had a loud pop every cycle!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Grawulf

Have any of you ever been to the old engine show in Escanaba? My brother and I were just happening through on the way to some canoeing in Wisconsin (early Sept. of last year). I kept looking for FF hats - never saw one.................. :'(  It is well worth the stop and look-see. 10 - 12 steam engines, kerosine engines, lots of hit and missers, about every year of tractor you can think of.  Steam powered sawmill and edger - shingle mill - rock crusher. Anybody up for another road trip after Sawlex? We might even get Chet to show us some Yooper UFO's!

D._Frederick

ASY,

The Vaughn and Wade drag saws were the 2 cycle type engines and run quite smooth with little noice while sawing. They are somewhat lighter in weight than the make and break or (hit and miss) type engines with the big flywheels.  At the fairs and shows were they have these engines running, they never have much of a load on them. When these engines have a heavier load they can fire every 2 turns and sound a lot different. When working, these engines make a lot of steam.

We have a steam-up every year at Brooks, Ore at the antique power land on the last weekend of July and the first weekend of August. They have every thing that G. was talking about.

sprucebunny

Well...I got to say......that as a literal minded child neither 'make and break' or 'hit and miss' sounded good when you were about to take a trip in a BOAT powered by one  :o
My father had a 'St. Pierre/Miquelon dory' with the traditional engine. They were both new but didn't really look it .
I lived to remember it, so it must have got us back somehow.

fancy dory
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

maple flats

Around these parts they are often called skip fire engines. Sure do look strange. A few days ago I hapened to watch a hunting show on tv that was set in Mexico beyond the power lines. They showed where they had a generator that was used to generate electricity. The hunt was at a working ranch and the ranch owner started the generator by grabbing a handle on one of two large flywheels and spun it over several turns as fast as he could and it started. Didn't look like it went any faster under it's own power than during the starting crank. They said that it had run every day for the last 70 years. Really says something about them if maintained properly. Didn't hear how much it generated but my guess is not much. I think they said it is only used for lights and not full time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jeff

Frank_Pender

I have four of themdrag saws, now, Jeff.  :)  I am having one completely rebult.   
Frank Pender

Corley5

I was at the Escanaba show last year and Jeff was too but we missed each other ::).  I seldom wear a hat.  We need grey FF T-shirts  ;)   http://www.upsteamandgasengine.org/index.html
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

UNCLEBUCK

I need f/f bumper stickers and a 4x t-shirt for my road trips across the u.p. and over the big bridge because sooner or later my old diesel is going to suddenly sound like a hit and miss then I can pull over and hang my f/f shirt on my antenna and wait for all my f/f pals to save me and make me board man to earn my keep while I wait for truck to get fixed . I can eat you out of groceries right quick ! I sound like a hit and miss at the table especially if there is real maple syrup .   :D :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Grawulf

Corely,
DanG! I can't believe that we missed each other - I think I'd at least know Jeff If I saw him..........I think the T-shirt is a good idear. Master Jeff, any chance o doin' that? I don't wear a hat 'cause I don't want my hair to fall out any more than it is but by golly a T would get used almost every day. My brother is in advertising and could get things rolling ifn you'd be so inclined.

Jason_WI

I would buy a few FF Tee's myself if they were available. 3XL for me.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Jeff

I would love to guys, but I just dont have the cash right now to lay out  to get t-shirts printed up and I really would like to get more hats as well but Ya gotta remember, I've not been in the sawbooth since last october. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!