iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved:Swamp White Oak

Started by swampwhiteoak, June 26, 2002, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

I'll give details if asked, but this shouldn't be too hard. ;)

Texas Ranger

Cow oak in Texas, or Basket Oak to the Indians.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

Don, I can see how you might think it is a Quercus michauxii Nuttall.....but I don't think it is.

Based on the leaf shape it has to be
Quercus bicolor Willdenow or.......Swamp White Oak :o

Is that right Swampwhiteoak?  What do I win? Huh? Huh?
8) 8) 8) 8)  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

swampwhiteoak

Charlie is the winner!   You win the satisfaction of knowing you got it right.   :D

CHARLIE

Am I smart or what!  DonT answer that! ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Sorry, Charlie (no play on tuna  8)) but Quercus michauxii isn't found that much in Texas, those are the local names for Swamp White Oak.  :P

I know, it's a Texas thang.  

CHARLIE

Hmmmmm Don..... :P  My source says Swamp Chestnut Oak is also known as Basket Oak and Cow Oak. It's latin name is Quercus michauxii Nuttall.  It's range is in the pan handle of Florida, most of Georgia (not in the mountains) up the east coast of the U.S.  All of Alabama and Mississippi, most of Louisiana and just a smidgen over the border into eastern Texas.  Maybe Basket and Cow Oak is laymen terminology that applies to more than one type of Oak. ::)
Charlie

Texas Ranger

Exactly right Charlie, we also have pin oak, which has nothing to do with the northern pin oak.  names from the east gathered west and fit on new stems.

Thank You Sponsors!