iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PIne in Bryceville

Started by Tom, May 04, 2005, 09:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I'm sawing some gigantic Long Leaf Pine that has been taken from parks in Jacksonville.  One of the fellows I''m sawing for owns a dump truck and land moving company.  The other owns a successful auto body shop.  They are stock piling the logs on their Horse farm with the intentions of using the lumber in their two new houses.

I am trying to produce as much vertical grain lumber as possible.  Most of it is making 1x6 and 1x8 in lenths of 20 feet.  I did produce a vertical grain 1x13 today just for the heck of it. :D

Gael, my wife, showed up with 3 gallons of tea, 6 submarine sandwiches and a bunch of bags of chips for  lunch.  That was a surprise and we had a good dinner break.  I guess we are back to baloney tomorrow. :D

Getting rid of the nails

Me and one of the off-bearers at the mill with the big pine loaded.

My off-bearers, scott, wade and billy

So far there are five and a half, full-length logging truckloads of pine stacked in the background.  I've got a long way to go. :D

UNCLEBUCK

Good pics Tom, I always like readin your sawing adventures . Thanks , thems is big logs
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

TN_man

Life can be enjoyable! Looks like fun. :)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

RacinRex

I have got to start custom sawing for a living rather than sitting behind this desk all day  >:( ;D

Love to hear your tales Tom, as it was said before time and again, you meet the nicest people.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Buzz-sawyer

Reckon its cause hes one of em ??? ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

tnlogger

gene

customsawyer

Great logs Tom wish they were in my yard. ;D
If it gets to be to much for ya just give me a call and me and Ms. Ann will come a running. She loves to sink her teeth in to those nice big logs and I like to see those board foot tallies at the end of the day on 20' long and big dia.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tom

Ho Ho..   hee hee.......  Ha ha.....   They're mine.... mine....   all mine.  Hee hee Ha ha.. ;D :D

ellmoe

Tom,

We just finished sawing 20,000 bf of similar logs, all 16'. The customer wanted the widest boards possible. We cut heavy 16" and 18" wide with some 20". Some of that heart is tough sawing though. How is your success with the wide heart. We are running woodmizers blades with the 10 degree angle, tried some 9 degree and could not tell any difference. All blades were 1 1/4 ".

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

I'm using Lenox Woodmaster C's and they are doing a fine job.  The heart is tough.  Some folks think that Pine being a softwood, the wood is soft.  Nope!!    hard as a rock.  :D    I'm not cutting too many wide boards.  I'm cutting the logs into quarters or thirds and going after vertical grain.  Most of the boards are six" with eights being next and a few tens.  i am cutting a few 12 and 13 inch boards along and along.  There will probably be more flat stuff later because they will want some sheeting.  Right now I'm just satisfying their urge to get as much flooring, etc as possible.

Pine knots aren't especially soft either.  :D :D

(You guys make me blush)  ;D :)

Tom

I just wanted  to show you the progress on this job.  I've really knocked a hole in the pile of logs. It's looking like another week may finish me up.

From the mill to the Barn is made easier with the Loader and Forks.

The Barn is filling up!
George, Wade, Rick, Wayne and billy are in the rafters today.  It looks like it will hold tomorrow's sawing and then we will have to build the stacks outside.

LeeB

that's incredible Tom. I've been hobbie sawing for 4 years and don't think I've sawn that much all together :o. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

UNCLEBUCK

That is a huge whack of boards , holy cow I suddenly feel like a lazy buzzard but its slow going for me because I work alone .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ronwood

Tom,

Where are they getting all their stickers?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Tom

I'm cutting them.   Most were trimmings but I ran into two crooked logs that I cut up into 1x1's.   

Lots'a stickers!  :D

CHARLIE

Did I read you were feeding them baloney sammiches! >:(   What happened to the generic cans of peas you used to feed your help??  Heck, If I had been fed baloney sammiches instead of a can of peas, I might have stuck around for a couple more days......hmmmmm......on second thought, as hot as it was........maybe I wouldn't have. ;) ;D 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gilman

Charlie,
I think I read that they were getting turkey baloney, you did get the best Tom serves...  ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Tom

Baloney! 

I like baloney OK, it's just hard to keep all day in a hot truck.  By the time I put enough  slices of that deli stuff between two pieces of bread to quell the hunger of sawing all morning,  I could have had a steak.  That stuff is expensive. It used to come in a tube and you could cut off a hunk about a half inch thick and make a fine sandwich.  Now nobody sells by the tube.  Even Sam's slices it so thin you can read a contract through it.   I feel sorry for these boys that show up with a baloney sandwich that "momma" fixed for them and it has ONE slice of that deli stuff on it.  No wonder this younger generation is having such a hard time. They don't get enough nutrition to feed their brain, much less their work.

Peas.  Yep I love peas.  Those canned vegetables make one of the best Eatin'-in-the-woods dinners a fellow can put on the truck.  I long for a big can of stewed tomatoes sometimes.   Gotta get back to the Grocery store with some money and canned vegetables on my mind shortly. :D

I've been getting a kick out the boys that run for the truck when the whistle blows and tear outa the yard with tires spinning to go to the McDonald's or Burger King about 10 or better miles away.  By the time they get back, I've eaten, had a nap had a couple of cups of coffee and am chomping at the bit to get back to the mill. :D :D   They ate in the truck, are just finishing up their coke and burned 3 or 4 dollars of gasoline.  I guess it does beat a deli slice of baloney sandwich though.

I picked up the mill, counted the wood and just got home a few minutes ago.

About 38000 BF, Charlie! .

I got my list out to pick the next customer and the phone rang.  Looks like I'll be going to Florida Cypress tomorrow.  'Bout a day of catching him up with some special orders and I'll either be going to St. George, Middleburg or Doctor's Lake.  Mostly little jobs for awhile now.

DextorDee

Enjoyed your adventure and pics..
Is that St. George Island? Naw, couldn't be.  ???
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Tom

Naw! your right.  It's St. George though.  Look at the little niblet stickin down into Florida under the Okeefeenokee Swamp west of Jacksonville, Florida.  It's what is called the "Big Bend'.  Just over the Georgia line ia a little town at the cross roads of Ga. 121 and Ga. 94.  That's St. George.

Gilman

Hey Tom,
38,000 Wow!
Have you calculated how many peas it takes to cut a bf?  ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

CHARLIE

Well, just so y'all know......when I worked for Tom way back in '95, it was a hot, humid 97° with no clouds and no shade cuz Tom was sawing up what used to be the shade.  Come lunch time I had visions  of a burger, but I got a can of peas, Tom's oldest boy, Tom, got a can of corn and Tom got a can of peaches.  They had spoons....I had to whittle me a spoon.  We sat on the front end loader of the tractor.....in the hot son cuz there was no shade and ate.  Not much conversation cuz we done talked about all the world problems while sawing and offbearing. I finished my can of peas and asked if that was all there was. "Yep", Tom said, "If'n ya eat too much, ya won't wanna work." smiley_whip   ;D  Of course this is the short version of the story. The long version is somewhere way back in the archives.

Tom, is St. George where you took me to that restaurant that had such a good home cooked style buffet?  Now there was some good eating.  Tom did keep me fed real well when I wasn't working. :D  Then there was the time we were into the Jack and catching grasshoppers and feeding the bass with them....but that's another story. :)

38,000 Board Feet! Now that just tuckers me slam out just thinking of offbearing all that lumber and stacking it.  Whew! I gotta take a break.....see ya..... 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pigman

Sounds about right, big brother gets the peaches, little brother gets the peas. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

twostroke_blood

Good pics Tom. Is that a Baker Mill? What kind of motor runs it? About how many B/F are you getting out of a band blade?

Tom

It's a Baker 3638 that I purchased in '99.  It has a 38 horse naturally aspirated kubota and I use Lenox woodmaster c's.  Recommended by Baker at the time and  I found that they work best.

Longevity of the blade varies tremendously with the species of tree and consistency of the wood.   I usually get seven or eight hundred feet from pine but as little as 300 on occasion.

I have gotten over a thousand feet in pine and will get that fairly consistently in cypress.

Water oaks will use one up in about 600 feet and live oak in about 300 feet.

Thank You Sponsors!