iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log trailer

Started by mac, May 03, 2005, 10:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

Anyone ever use a propane tank trailer to haul a log on? Looking for something to haul a log or two from town when the local power company calls.

Furby

Looking for one right NOW!
I saw one out by Norm and Patty's place and almost went and asked if it was for sale. I didn't because I knew of one here at home.
Went by there today and it was gone! DanG!!!! >:(
That is what I plan to use as soon as I can find one. ;D

Robert R

Would a trailer like that automatically come with a boom arm and winch that would have been used to hoist the tanks around?  Do you know what the approximate capacities would be?  That sounds like a very useful tool. 

Another thing I have been thinking about is the boom and hoist system used by "farm kill" butchers, where they come out to your place and slaughter a steer.  I had one done a couple of years ago and the fellow used 2 winches off of the end of a boom.  First he hoisted it up into the air by the hind legs and then hooked onto the front legs with a second winch up in the bed of his truck.  As he pulled in the front, he slowly lowered the hind and the steer wound up lying in his truck.  Same principal should work with a log, I'd think.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Furby

The propane tank trailers are mostly a large tow behind arch.
I've seen both single and double axel ones.
They do have a winch, but there may be a few small mods needed.
I plan to make a secondary wire harness with lights to strap to the end of a longer log, just to be safe.
I like the fact that you can raise the log, set a couple of crossmembers and then lower the log on them for transport.
It just looks safer to me.

I don't know what the "rating" for weight is, but some of them are pretty heavy duty.
I belive they would work really good, for the right price.

J_T

Have had 1,000 gal. tank with 600 gal lp in it on the two axle model ::)
Jim Holloway

Furby

In other words.................
It'll work ??? ;D

maple flats

I've been thinking about one for sale near me. Happens to look like it was a delivery rig, double axel trailer with a I beam mounted about 6+ feet above the deck and extends out the back maybe 4 feet or so. Thought I could put a winch on a trolly and after raising the log could pull it onto the trailer and then set it down. Will stop and find out if it will fit my budget right now. I just ordered about $10,000 worth of equipment for my blueberry farm and the finances are tight until I sell some lumber or do some custom sawing.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Kirk_Allen

I have been waiting on deliver of mine for several months.  The propane company has one that is no longer used and said I could have it but they would have to deliver it. 

Hopefully now that propane orders have slowed down they will deliver it. Not sure whay I cant pick it up but they said they have to bring it out. 

I checked a few weeks ago and the guy that delivers are propane assured me the tank is still there and it has my name on it.  He said when things slow down he would bring it out!

Part_Timer

I've been looking at one of those trucks they deliver septic tanks with.  I'm just not sure about having another vehical to keep insurance on
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Furby

That's why I'd rather use a trailer! ;)

MULE_MAN

Why don't you just go buy one of those trailer with a cherry picker on it
there only around $21,000, That's not a problem is it  ???  :D  :D  ;D

Makes a dandy Tax write off  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Furby

Yep! Would LOVE one of those!
Now if I had enough income to write that off from...............
Someday maybe!

hawby

Furby,

Come on down.... an old high school friend of mine as one of those trailers... pretty DanG cheap. He offered it to me, but wouldn't ya know it, I found me a 2000 Chevy 3500 Dually to haul my trailer with. My face  ;D
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

mac

Anyone know of a popane trailer in missouri forsale

Frank_Pender

Mule Man, I recently acquired a half size loader unit for ! grand and am having it retrofitted for a samll two axel trailer unit that will be pulled with my F45o.  the tonguewill telescope like a reach on an long logger to be able to swing around easily to load logs into the truck.  I will outfit it with four outriggers.  In addition I will have a hitch to pull a trailer behind the loader when on the Tree Farm.

I heard the other day that there is legislation to allow smaller units in ZOregon to be able to pull a pair of doubles and that way I would be legal ot pull a trailer  behind the loader.
Frank Pender

Gilman

I'm assuming those are road legal?  In all states?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

J_T

Furby you can't go wrong  8). Have seen thim with a winch and also hyd. If I were going for a few logs at a time that would work great can also move lp tanks . The fuel in them is a no no but it was dark when we did it  ;D
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!