iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protecting Farm Animals - What to do?

Started by Kirk_Allen, May 02, 2005, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

The last two nights have been rough.  Two nights ago I heard barking but didnt think it was coyotes but it was close.

Went out the back porch with the spot light and the rifle and found two dogs, looked like Black & Tan hound dogs, trying to get at the chickens.  The second I shined the light on them one turned towards me and groweled. The other bolted for the woods.  When he growled I yelled at him and fired a couple rounds over his head to scare him off. 

Not wanting to shoot a dog I asked around and cant seem to find any owners of these two dogs.  Did find out that the farmer to the north of us shot at them last night for the same thing. 

Well, last night they came back, around 1:00 am.  This time I thougth instead of trying to scare them I would try to befreind them.  That didnt work.  The second I stepped out of the house they bolted for the woods.  This time they were at the garage door where are geese are at.

Not sure what to do in this case as I am a dog lover but cant sit back and have them coming around night after night hoping to get lucky and eat one of the birds. 

Rabies is a concern as well, although they did not act rabbid. 

What would you do?

My gut says shoot them and be done with it.  The humane society cant do anything unless they can catch them, which we only see them LATE at night. 

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Shoot them or trap them.  Dogs turned loose are enemies of other domesticated animals and even family members.  It may not be their fault that they are in the situation , but, they are in the situation.  The best you can do is make it quick.  If they have the attitude/aptitude to turn and growl or threaten you on your property, they have passed the line of being a pet.  If you find tags, save them, but I wouldn't make an effort to advertise their demise.

Sawyerfortyish

Shoot-shovel-shutup  :-X :-X :-X many farmers have bear problems around here :-X

Shotgun

I agree.  If your property is at risk, deal with it in the most effective way.  SSS works. It's too bad, but that's the situation you're in.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Teri

I agree with the others. You never know, but they just might have more friends with them that you don't know about hiding somewhere along the way. ;)

beenthere

Sounds much like my experience years ago, living on the edge of a small city in Iowa (Waterloo).
We had packs of house dogs that would get together and kill chickens, young pigs in broad daylight, and sheep. We'd hunt them at night, and if we picked off one of the pack, it would break the pack up and stop the killing. The farmer I worked for bought sheep in the fall (two rail cars full of sheep) and he'd fatten them up over winter. After one night of attack, there were two rendering trucks loaded with dead sheep, and nearly two stake trucks loaded with injured sheep going for tankage at the local packing company. We climbed on the fenders of a '46 Ford, straddled the headlights, with a rifle on one side and a shotgun on the other, riding the roads to look for the pack. At 16, I thought that was the most fun in the world. Looking back, probably the dumbest thing to do (but not the dumbest thing I ever did do). Lot's more stories of the same thing, but getting at least one of the dogs that ranged from small to large and every imaginable breed, would stop the killing.
But agree, in this day and age, the SSS method is the best.  :-X :-X :-X
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

The GROWLING would of sealed the deal for me. 7.62mm FULL metal jacket.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

jjmk98k

hum, I think i'd do the SSS with a 12ga shotgun!
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

etat

I've had chickens, goats, rabbits, and even one calf killed by stray dogs.  I've even had stray dogs growl at my kids when they were little.  In such cases, even though I do like dogs, I don't consider these as dogs.  I consider them as predators who are trespassing on my property, and doing harm to what I've worked hard for.  Once them dogs get a taste for chicken, there'll be no stopping them, except one way.

I'm sorry, I would show no mercy.  I'll either get em with a gun, and if that don't work I'll lock up my own animals, and bait em with poison. I won' tell here what I've used, but it's one hundred percent effective, and easily obtainable. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ed_K

Ed K

wesdor

I agree with the SSS.  Be sure to really do the last two parts of it.  Many years ago, my uncle shot 2 dogs that were chasing his cattle.  Turned out they were "expensive" hunting dogs and the owner was not far behind.  It took him several days to find his way home (he was at a local bar with some women of negotiable virtue).  The police came and took my uncle to jail.  It cost him nearly $1,000 for a lawyer to expose the mess.

I sure wouldn't put up with them - they will start to take a toll on your livestock.  But once you have the problem taken care of, be sure they are in a big hole that is covered with dirt.

Good luck.  We have some of the same problems with coyotes and dogs here. Thankfully I don't have any livestock.

Tom_Averwater

Sounds like a job for the 12 Ga. 3 1/2 with # 2 s.  We had trouble with dogs and sheep when I was a little boy. Dad got rid of the sheep. Then we got cows. Cows and dogs don't mix either. I was then old enough to mix lead with the dogs. 8) 8)
He who dies with the most toys wins .

asy

Kirk,

FWIW, I've never shot a gun in my life, but I agree with the above sentiments.

You'll be sure sorry if these wild beasts take a child down the road, and you could have prevented it.

Once they start growling at humans with no provocation like they did, it's sayonara.

Must say, this is one problem I don't like to think of once we get to the farm. We don't have guns (not because we don't agree with them or anything, it's just not us) and have never shot them, so I don't know what we'll do if we get wild dogs coming out of the forest behind us...  Guess we'll worry when the time comes.

Good luck, shoot straight.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Haytrader

Ida done done it.

Agree with the majority.
Specially the 3rd S
Haytrader

Engineer

Don't have animals but I had a neighbor's dog up on the deck last summer uninvited.  This dog would root through my compost pile and crap all over the lawn.   When I opened the door to shoo him off, he braced and growled, then barked at me. 

If I'd had a gun within arms reach, that would have been one less dog in the neighborhood.  All I managed to do was land a good kick and launched the dog off the deck.     >:(   Guess it worked, he didn't come back.

Fortunately the owner moved away and took his mutt with him.

Dan_Shade

another maybe more "humane" method is pepper spray, you can get those things that squirt a stream like 30 feet
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

That may simply move the problem to someone else, and if they find a small child along the way as Asy said................

UNCLEBUCK

In the county I live in every spring is a radio commercial telling that dogs group together and will run in packs and to let the game warden know 24/7 so he can dispatch them and he will do just that . Rifle at night is not easy but if you leave a light on the dogs might get use to it so you can atleast shoot from a longer distance . Welcome to the country  ??? Protect those baby geese !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

FiremanEd

"I've got a rifle, a shovel and 300 acres"   this goes w/ the 3 S's.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Ironwood

BANG! 12GA. #2's sound correct. SSS. I was duck hunting in Kansas while in the service. All alone before dawn, pack of coyotes, plug in the gun, only three shots made me nervous. Dispatch these thing before someone gets hurt, they are running on instinct, so should you.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kirk_Allen

Well last night was uneventfull.  Done a lot of sole searching on this one and lets just say, if they come back they wont be leaving again if I have anything to do with it. 

Three different rifles at the door so the optoins are pretty much limitless. 

I am going to check with a few more folks about 2 miles east of us and see if they might possibly be theirs.

Thanks for all the input. 

Corley5

Mix some hamburger with broken glass or anti-freeze.  Sounds cruel and it probably is but it works to protect your property especially if the mutts don't present themselves for a shot.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kirk_Allen

Sorry Corely,
I would not do that under any circumstance.  That is a cruel and painful death that I just cant do. 

If I cant dispatch them with a clean shot then I will just have to wait for another chance. 

Thank You Sponsors!