iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Only a Stihl will do...

Started by jindie, June 24, 2002, 02:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jindie

My husband is kind of interested in getting a new saw, if we can ever come up with the cash.  My son got the old Stihl going, so it may be put off for awhile.  The old one has lasted for years and years (an 032, or something like that, that is way better than his Homelite).  He doesn't log anymore, and the 032's are way out of date.  We need something for cutting our firewood every year.  It can't be too heavy, and not too wimpy either, about an 18" bar.  What is a good medium size Stihl saw?...No offense to Husky's, but he's never had one, and we know Stihls are good, IF they make them like they used to.  I checked out Wal-mart's little stuff, and they looked like something I'd be embarrassed to bring home ::)

DonT

Have a look at the o26 or the 034,both are relatively light saws that would perform well cutting firewood,but just my 3.5cents(2 cents adjusted for current exchange rates) DonT

Jeff

Haven't I heard you guys say that the retail saws are different then the dealer saws? Or just that you get better service from a chainsaw dealer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Anything you buy at a dept. store will be a consumer (low quality) saw regardless of manufacturer.

Ron Scott

It's best to buy from the local dealer where most of the professional loggers purchase and have their saws serviced and repaired. The dealers usually have what's needed and  often have a good "used saw" inventory if that's one's interest.
~Ron

TJACK

This is advise is from a Husky fan who has used and still has a Stihl saw.  Stihl makes saws for the comsumer/firewood cutter designated with an odd number MS 290, 310 (used to be 029 & 031).  The pro saws are designated with even numbers 260, 360, 440 (used to be the 026, 036 & 044).  The comsumer saws are heavier and lacking the horse power the pro saws have.  I guess this is for safety?  

To answer your question, it depends on what you want to spend on a saw.  For cutting firewood I peraonally would not puchase anything smaller than a MS 310.  This saw has 4.0 HP & comes standard with a 20" bar.  Price around $350.00.  

Hope this helps & does not confuse!

TJACK

ADfields

I have 2 041's and I love them and 3 044's and love them also.  I cut fierwood in winter around 40 cords a year is all.  Last summer on our way home to Alaska on the Alaska hiway we stoped at a Stihl shop in Canada just to look around.   Thay had 017 Stihls for sale for $180Ca and thats CHEEP so I got one for liming off logs.   I tell you I hardley ever run the big saws at all now!  The 017 cuts allmoste as fast and I can run it ALL day long and it wont kill my back!   So if all you are doing is home fierwood I say get your self an 017 and you will LOVE the little thing!
Andy

J Beyer

I had three saws, went to two, then three, and hopefully soon, four Stihl saws.  The models I have are the 019T (now MS190T?), an 036PRO, and an 066 for the whoppers (mostly used for milling).  The 019T is a top-handle saw, otherwise known as an arborist saw.  The 019 is the perfect style of saw for close-quarters sawing, as in when tree libs are too close for other saws to work well in.  IF the chain on this little saw is kept out of the dirt, it will cut two or three pickup truck loads of white oak firewood at 8-10"max dia without sharpening the chain once.

The 036PRO cuts really fast with a full-chisel chain and weighs less than the 029/MS290 with a lot more power.  I've used this saw all-day without a complaint from my back.  It could be that I'm still quite young. ;D

The 066 has only been used once to buck a big cottonwood log.  If I ran this saw all-day I would be all shookup, uh huh huh

The 025 is a great saw to use as well.  I've ran one in the past with a 16" and 18" bars without a problem, just cut a little slow in the 14-16" wood.

My recommendations, an 019T/MS190whatever and the 036PRO.  (I did run the 036PRO once with a 36" bar with the oiler turned up for the three cuts I made with that saw and bar to keep things oiled in a 30" log)
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Kevin

J,
The 190 is a top handled Arborist limbing saw.
Pretty light duty for a firewood saw.

J Beyer

I primarily use it, the 019T, as a light limbing saw.  I use mine primarily to cut branches no bigger than 8".  After that, the speed slows down.  Then a bigger saw like the 025/16" combo works well to 14" pieces.  Then I go to the 036PRO for stuff up to 20-24".  After that I either stop for the day and stack the wood, or I get mad at the tree for making me work too hard for the wood and get the 066 out.

It all comes down to the right saw selection for the job.  Just this morning I used my 019T to remove an apple tree.  I only made one cut with the 036PRO and that was to level the stump for a birdbath.    Then there have been jobs where the 036PRO was working all day (really big tree).  Like I said, the right tool for the right job.

JB

craigc90

I have a couple of small saws and bought a ms290. I run a 20 inch bar and .325 chain. My best friend has an 036 pro with a 20 inch bar and 3/8 chain we both run chisel chain and
my saw may be a little heavier but they are almost evenly matched when cutting firewood. I have heard all of the explanations of the odd numbers verse even numbers but if you get a good deal I would not overlook any Stihl. I dont think you can go wrong as long as its in good shape or new it will last longer than 3 cheaper saws. Also for the Husky my brother has a 357 or something like that and I ran it for a while and they do seem like good saws. But I do like my Stihl better. Just my view from a landowner non pro firewood cutter

Tom

"Favorite saw" hasn't much to do with how much "it" will cut.  I have a friend (one of my 82 year old, old-timers) whose favorite saw is an old homelite that must weigh 40 lbs and sounds like a "one lung" John Deere tractor when it is revved up.  He wouldn't change to another saw for anything in the world. :D

J Beyer

Ooops!  The model replacement for the 019T is the MS191T.  The improvement over the 019T is 0.2hp increase, up from 1.8

JB

DanG

Y'all can hoot about your brand of saw, and "consumer" vs "pro" all day long, but it's the chain that does the cuttin'.  If the saw has enough power, and the thing holds up to what you're puttin' it through, it's a good saw. If not, it ain't worth havin'.  I'll put my Echo up against any of the orange saws at Noble's house this fall. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

Dan,
We ain`t cutt`n grass here son.
 :D

DanG

Jeeps, Kev! Is that you?  You be a ugly little critter!  Don't get too cocky, though. I've a feeling that the Echos and Stihls are about the same thing. Best chainsaws ever built by a vacuum cleaner company. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J Beyer

The key to fast cutting is keeping the chain sharp  :-*, the teeth  ;D to equal length, and the depth set correctly.  For pure cutting speed, nothing beat a sharp full-chisel chain!  I've seen even so-called crappy little saws cut a large amount of firewood without a hiccup! :o

I like my 036PRO because the carb self corrects for a dirty air filter, to about 70-90%clogged! :o

JB

Kevin

Hey Dan,
http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/yosemite/Sam01.wav
 :D

I have to admit that Echo is right up there in quality and performance.

DanG

I sure hope so, Kev, 'cause it was right up there in price, too. :o

Corley5

I've found that when it comes to cutting firewood the bigger the saw the less harder you work because you can cut the wood a whole lot faster.  I've cut many many cords with the old Jonsered 2094 and now the Husky 395.  I keep em filed sharp and look out.  What I really like about the Husky and Jreds is with the air injection you rarely need to clean the filters.  I spray mine with some ether every few days when I'm running it hard and even then it doesn't really need it.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jindie

Thought you guys might like to hear that my hubby got a new Stihl for Christmas.  We don't live in the big timber country and basically just need a saw for our winter firewood.  He wanted the 025, so that's what he got.  I wanted a bigger one, but he has pain in his arms a lot and didn't want the bigger saws.  He really likes it!  Thanks for all your help!...Jindie in Arkansas

Tom

Way to go Jindie, your a good wife. Y'all are hard to find. :D

woodbeard

Maybe next Christmas he will get you an 046 ;D

Thank You Sponsors!