iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 044 vs. Husky 372

Started by YUKON 659, April 29, 2005, 10:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YUKON 659

I finally got a chance to run an 044 today. I know the 044 has quite a following and is one of Stihl's most reliable saws but all you 044 users , do yourself a favor and test drive a Husky 372, in my opinion there is no comparison the 372 rules hands down!!!! The 044 was completely stock and my 372 has had the muffler opened up...should it make that much of a difference. Like my daughter says "Huskies Rule Stihl Drools" LOL

Jeff

logger

Run a 440 , different power in the saw!  Newer engines.  Did you make sure that he wasn't running a lower octane fuel in his 044?  Because that makes a big difference in a saw's performance!!!  Kind of opposite for me!!!!  Like stihl better!!!! 8) ;D ;D
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

fishhuntcutwood

Well I think that of course one being opened and one not would make a difference.    The 440's don't really have different engines per se, than do the 044s, but there have been a few upgrades from the early 044's, and even some of the late 044's and 046's had them before the 440 and 460 came along.  Like I said in my reply to your other posting of this topic, I've never ran a 372, but I think that you'd find alot of guys that would call it a very close comparison.  Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think I recall Russ having just such an opinion.  If anyone can make a fair judgement about two saws, it'd be him.  If I'm mistaken Russ, I appologize.  How old was the 044 and how new was the 372?  If you're running a stock nine year old 044 against a modded two year old 372, then yeah, there'll be a difference.   And I've never known octane to effect hp output, but rather just ease of combustion.   Anyone else's thoughts on that?

I'm working with a gyppo right now, and his friend just talked him into his first Husky-a 372.  He's always ran Stihl prior.  Well out of the box he just didn't really like that saw, then a tree came down on it, he had it rebuilt at the dealer, and now he likes it even less.  He's trying to get rid of it so he can go get a new 440.   The 372 is indeed an awesome saw, I've never once heard a bad thing about it, and I dang near bought one, but guess what, I'm walking into my Stihl dealership next week and buying a new 440-don't tell my fiance,   as I just gave her the speil about how much her ring cost!  :-X  It's a preference thing, I'll admit it...

Have a good weekend all,

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Gypo Logger

They are both great saws and it's a 6 of 1, half doz. of the other thing. I believe Husky is a one man saw, whereas Stihl seems to last and hold value for much longer.
However, when we buy a new saw we don't generaly consider it's resale value.
John

YUKON 659

Jeff, the 044 was a newer saw with low hours on it. My 372 is is a couple years old and nicely broken in, I guess this probably added to the difference in the way they cut. Even so, if I had my choice I'd still go Husky.

Jeff

TexasTimbers

FHCW YOU ARE MAKING A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!! :o :o :o
I can't believe what you are doing - somebody's gotta stop you before you give any more "spiel"!!!

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on April 30, 2005, 04:23:32 AMI'm walking into my Stihl dealership next week and buying a new 440-don't tell my fiance, as I just gave her the speil about how much her ring cost!

I have a 372 and love it, but I bet there isn't a dime's worth of difference between most comparable saws of the two companies. But I'm not talking about buying the 440 when I say DONT DO IT!...
Dude, you NEVER talk about the cost of the ring or discuss it in ANY way. That robs them of one of the things women most treasure about the whole ring experience, (even if they BEG you for information ... ) their imagination!
WHO helped him pick it? Did he do it himself?
WHAT did it cost? "Was it more or less than $xxxx.xx?" The correct response of course is something like "Well, honey, money and diamonds can't measure my love for you .... just look back in 50 years and tell me if I did a good job showing it.... if you still want to know what it cost I'll tell you on our 50th Anniversary"
WHERE did he get it? Never present it in a box embossed with the Jewelers name! Even their fanciest box is tacky tacky tacky! You can buy really posh personailzed boxes with your names and the wedding date that will knock her eyes out and show her you are an uncommon man who thinks things through. It can make a $2500 ring look like a $10K ring - first impressions ya know .... Better yet, MAKE the box out of an exotic wood or her favorite if she has one.
HOW did he do all this by himself? Again - vague, mysterious, yet polite answers are the order of the day ;D

So FCHW, if you haven't already told her the history behind the ring ..... DONT!
But buy the 440 or the 372. We can't allow or priorities to get out of order.

KJ
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

fishhuntcutwood

KJ- Now I didn't say that I spilled the beans about it, but I asked her her preference in cut and mount, and that was it.  I know she likes white gold, and simple jewelry, so I needed to know if she wanted a brilliant cut or princess or whatever.  Then I gave her a hard time about I'm going to have to sell all of my saw, flyrods and my truck to pay for this thing.   She doesn't know what it cost, or when it will be here, or how I'll give it to her.   But she does like madrone, and I was going to cut a small cookie, maybe stain it and polyurethane it and make a nice little base for it, and give it to her on that.  I'll let you know how that goes....but back to the conversation at hand I'm gonna try to get that saw this week before I change my mind and get all practical about not needing to own another saw!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

logger

Go and get your 440 soon because you will love it.  Trust me!  8) ;D :)

logger

Hey gypo, if you look on ebay you can find some plastic for that 044 so that you don't burn yourself on the cylinder.  Preety cheap too.

SawTroll

Some test results from an independant German test site (DLG):
H.372xp; 3.9 kw/9500 rpm - 4.1 nm/7300 rpm - 6.4 kg
J.2171; 3.9 kw/9600 rpm - 4.2 nm/7000 rpm - 6.4 kg
MS440; 4.0 kw/9500 rpm - 4.4 nm/7000 rpm - 6.2 kg
MS460; 4.4 kw/9500 rpm - 5.4 nm/6750 rpm - 6.5 kg
D7300; 4.4 kw/9500 rpm - 4.9 nm/6500 rpm - 6.4 kg
D7900; 4.7 kw/9500 rpm - 5.1 nm/7200 rpm - 6.4 kg
These tests are quite recent.

Some results from the 1990's, just for comparison:
044; 3.8 kw/9500 rpm - 4.3 nm/6200 rpm - 6.3 kg
272xp; 3.8 kw/9200 rpm - 4.4 nm/7000 rpm - 6.4 kg
371xp; 3.9 kw/ 9600 rpm - 4.1 nm/7500 rpm - 6.1 kg
2071; 3.9 kw/ 9600 rpm - 4.1 nm/7500 rpm - 6.1 kg
046; 4.1 kw/9500 rpm - 4.7 nm/6750 rpm - 6.5 kg

The weights are without bar and chain, but including cluch cover, nuts etc.

A lot of statements both on this forum and elsewhere tend to indicate that kw's and nm's developed by a E-lux motor are "stronger" than those developed by German motors. I have wondered why it is so for a while.... ???
Information collector.

Gypo Logger

Quote from: logger on April 30, 2005, 03:19:56 PM
Hey gypo, if you look on ebay you can find some plastic for that 044 so that you don't burn yourself on the cylinder.  Preety cheap too.

I think the 044 has more power with the hood off don't you think? I mean doesn't it look so much more wicked and redneck like especially with the new bar and dogless casing?
It's really just a poor mans way of making the Arctic version, plus you don't get all that residual crap building up around the saw. It also runs much cooler as well.
John

ehp

wrong picture    8)
I donot see either a 440 or a 372 in it

fishhuntcutwood

I just love John's pics.  I haven't seen one yet that hasn't caught my eye. 

Keep 'em coming.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

rahtreelimbs

Personally I like both the 044 and the 372. Where the 372 has the big advantage is in the anti-vibe.

Everyone talks about one lasting longer than the other. IMO that all comes down to how the saw is maintained. I could take a 1 or 2  year old 372 that was maintained well and it would last longer than a new 372 in the hands of one climber/sawyer I know!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

logger

Yea, I guess you're right it might have more power if you took off the hood, and it probably does run cooler, I don't know I neaver tried it before.   Thanks.  Hey john, keep them pictures comming we like them!!!!! 8) :o ;D :D :)

leweee

Nice Hat in that last pic ...John smiley_sombrero
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Gypo Logger

I'm glad you guys like the pictures. I'll keep them coming. Here's a bird I took a picture of. It's a Blue Jay. Oh yes, and a 385 Husky Barney.
John

Al_Smith

Nice to see you are alive and well ,John.Interesting pictures,as usual . smiley_clapping

ehp

Gypo do you have a .050 bar and chain for a 357, I may need one for saturday , not sure if I have enough time to make a chain for a 357 that they use for pole buck

Gypo Logger

Ed, I don't have a 357, but I have an 359 EHP and  1.3 mm bar & chain you can borrow though.
John

ehp

John I will let you know ok, that would free up some more time for me

Thank You Sponsors!