iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Emerald Ash Borer Information.

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2005, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Please find attached the most current EAB Quarantine area map. You will need Acrobat Reader for this PDF file.

Update: Current Quarantine area info
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

You can obtain current EAB information packs by contacting Erin using the information below.

Erin N Stiers
PPQ Officer -  Emerald Ash Borer Project

1422 West Chicago Blvd
Tecumseh, Michigan 49286
Office: 810.844.2780
Cell: 734.732.0026
Fax: 517.423.6453

SwampDonkey

There have also been 21 people caught and fined for taking firewood from Essex County, Ontario where the quarentine area is isolated in Canada.

Canada Food Inspection Agency Info on the emerald ash borer
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

One thing I learned new today, and it makes lots of sense. Its not just ash firewood that is quarantined, its ALL firewood. The average person can't tell the difference from ash and other species and law enforcement certainly should not have to pick through a whole load of firewood looking for sticks of ash. So, ALL firewood!

SwampDonkey

Yip, that's the way I'de handle it too.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Ironwood

Jeff, or anyone,

What is the likelyhood we will see the EAB here in western Pa.? I have  a 5 acre field that I have let the ash come up in, I didnt brush hog them. I was hoping that they would be good shade trees and create some interest visually. I am now concerned that they may get infested.  What's the likelyhood? Thanks Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dana

I wonder if any of the forum members  from the Michigan Dept of Agriculture could respond to what I heard from a local official? That  being that all the money for ash removal has dried up at this time. And the quarantened trees in Petoskey will have to remain at least over summer until the new fiscal year starts.  I personally hate rumers and half truths and would like to hear from someone in the know. I can't believe the state would not take this issue seriously enough to give the Ag. Dept. the money they need.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

I'll bring this to their attention Dana and have them get back with us.

estiers

Personally, I cannot respond to this because this question is for the Michigan Department of Agriculture, and I work for the USDA.  However, I would suggest that you visit the MDA website, look around, and maybe find a phone number to call someone who can help you within MDA.  www.michigan.gov/mda
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Dana

I spoke with someone in the know at the MDA. That person said they are waiting on funding and hoped to hear back on that matter soon.

estiers

Tri- State Emerald Ash Borer Workshop. April 9.  Pokagon State Park, Angola, IN.

For inforamtion on how to attend visit: http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~news/story.php?id=3051
Erin Stiers

estiers

REYNOLDSBURG, Ohio (March 24, 2005) - The Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) will target areas in and around Toledo in Lucas County for Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) eradication designed to eliminate this destructive insect. To help educate local residents about the program, ODA will host several open houses where residents can talk directly with the department's plant pest control staff, learn about EAB, and view maps of the local eradication zones. Citizens may visit anytime during designated hours, at the following locations:

Location:   Oregon Firehouse #2, 1102 South Wheeling Road, Oregon, Ohio
                  Thursday, March 31, 2005, 6-8 p.m.

Location:   Point Place Public Library, 2727 117th Street, Toledo, Ohio
                  Thursday, April 7, 2005, 6-8 p.m.

Location:   Ottawa Park Nature Education Building, Kenwood Boulevard, Toledo, Ohio
                  Thursday, April 14, 2005, 6-8 p.m.

Location:   The former Martin School, 10 South Holland-Sylvania Road, Toledo, Ohio
                  Thursday, April 21, 2005, 6-8 p.m.

Throughout the fall of 2004, Emerald Ash Borer infestations were discovered in or around the above areas. ODA will soon begin eradication, and all marked ash trees, whether they are visibly infested or not, within one-half mile of an infested tree will be destroyed.

Areas where eradication cannot be completed by May when EAB adults begin to emerge will be subject to "suppression cuts." Ash trees within 200 yards of an infested tree will be cut down and destroyed. Select ash trees within the next 200 yards will be girdled, or wounded by removing a ring of bark, making the tree more attractive to the pest. All girdled trees and remaining ash trees within the department's half-mile eradication zone will be destroyed at a later date.

Suppression cuts, as supported by the National Emerald Ash Borer Science Advisory Panel, will be used to eliminate the heavily infested ash trees in Toledo that will not be removed before adult emergence. This will help reduce the EAB population and alleviate the infestation growth in Lucas County until the department can fully eradicate the area. ODA is planning to eradicate all of Ohio's known infestations, depending on the continuance of federal funding. Currently, ODA is fighting the pest in Oregon (Lucas County), North Baltimore (Wood County), and Pioneer (Williams County).

The department's eradication program is conducted under its authority in Ohio Revised Code Section 927.70 to control, eradicate, and prevent the spread of invasive species and prevent massive economic losses to Ohio's homeowners and nursery, timber, and tourism industries.

For more information about the open houses, call the department's Emerald Ash Borer hotline at
1-888-OHIO-EAB, or visit the Web site at www.ohioagriculture.gov. Eradication maps also are available online.
Erin Stiers

Dana

Anyone who lives near Petoskey Michigan may want to go to the informational meeting on the Emerald Ash Borer  which will be held tonight , April 5 2005 at the Emmet County Building at 6:30 PM

Jeff

Keep us posted Dana, we hope you get some timely info there. :)

Dana

At the public meeting in Petoskey last night it was revealed there will not be a complete removal of all ash trees in the quaranteen area, ONLY the infected trees around each of the infected trees there will be a test area where the healthy trees will be girdled and monitored for the beetle. This is all due to budget cost. Nothing to  to do with last nights meeting, I have heard from someone in the know that the beetle has officially been found in Charlevoix County, just outside of the Boyne City limits. It appears to be a well established infestation that may have been herre for at least 5-6 years.  There will be several meetings in the near future for local gov. officials then of course the public meetings.

Emrldashbr

The poorer economy faced by our nation and the State of MI is limiting what funding is available.  The controls and programs started in Ohio and Indiana have divided what money there was to go around.  Priority to eradication efforts have been given to what is being called "gateway" areas.  Since the spread of EAB within MI is still being identified the focus has come upon not letting it move naturally to other States or Countries.  The removal of trees that we know have the beetle may help to reduce populations in infested spots until more funding is available.  A lot of work is being done on research for trapping or controlling the insect with pesticide applications.  Another method we are trying to use is finding people or companies that would be interested in buying the ash materials produced from an eradication or containment action.  Pulp wood is the bulk of what is being removed, including trees with a 1" diameter.  Doesn't exactly make for good lumber but could possibly work for paper and mulch.  If the material is chipped to pieces with at least 2 sides of 1" or less in size the insect cannot use it to complete its life cycle.  Logs produced from a removal can be debarked, and slab wood can be chipped leaving a bark free log which can be trasported without fear of spreading the pest.
  Unfortunately the areas where a removal is necessary don't make access for machines easy.  A lot of the work cutting the trees must be done by hand.  So it becomes less attractive to a company that might have a use for the materials, when costs at removal are high. 
  Back to my initial point (sorry for my distraction).  At these spot infestations we call "Outliers," because they are outside of the generally infested SE MI region.  Infestations are caused by the un-natural (people) movement of infested ash wood or trees.  We are taking out the trees we know are positive for EAB.  By girdling other trees in the center of these areas we hope to create attractive, declining trees, that might keep the insect from spreading out and remaining in a central location.  Then after the adult EAB flight season we can remove these trees and re-evaluate the options for a full ash removal.
  I know that there are a few of us on the Forum trying to keep you informed and up to date, but we don't get back often to chat.  I really appreciate everyone helping to spread the word and seek out information on your own.  We will try to get in for messages more often.
Thanks!
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

estiers

Check out this report about the Newberry case.

www.miningjournal.net/news/story/0424202005_new01-n0424.asp
Erin Stiers

Jeff

That story sure was not very responsible journalism. Look at the headline and then read the story.  They don't match. The headline screams one thing and the story does absolutely nothing to collaborate, only insinuate. Are there not any facts out there anywhere on this??

estiers

They do discuss the UP stuff, but it isn't the emphasis as you would think reading the headline.  I thought the article was interesting as it states that Michigan is trying to beef up its penalty system, which is something that really needs to happen.  But, online sources are what they are, so I know you have to take it with a grain of salt.
Erin Stiers

Paschale

Hmm...as I read it, doesn't it sound like they did find some beetles up there?

"Fortunately in Newberry, the nearest ash tree was three miles away, two miles out of the beetle's usual range. In Gratiot County however, the tests proved positive.

"We did find some trap trees in the area with beetles and we found another pile nearby with 'D' (shaped) emergent markings," Rose said."

And then the guy said this too:  "We followed a tip. By the time we got there, there were actually beetles flying around," Rose said. "The wood was cut at least over the last winter and had viable larvae. We tried to treat the pile."

He sounds like a pretty reliable source, since apparently this Tom Rose guy is with the MDA.  Reading this article would lead me to believe that some of the bugs have made it up there, but it's not clear that they've actually gained any foothold.  Do others read this differently?   :P  It would be nice to find this Tom Rose's email, and maybe have him clear things up, since we're definitely an interested party!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

Read it again.  They have the paragraphs broken up to confuse and sensationalize. Read the last sentence in the paragraph before. The subject is changed back to "In Gratiot County however, the tests proved positive."  it is then followed by "We did find some trap trees in the area with beetles and we found another pile nearby with 'D' (shaped) emergent markings," Rose said.", only spaced out.

He was referring to the gratiot site. This article breaks the paragraphs into making you think something else.  Stuff like that sickens me when its obviously done to sensationalize and "Make news"

Jeff

I still cant figure out why there are stories but nothing to back them up. Seems like someone somewhere should have some facts and statistics. I went back to the MDA website to look for any tidbit of information that says anything about EAB in the U.P. and cant find a thing.  I did find thier latest map that says it shows all sites of any EAB findings "Outside of" the Quarantine areas. No indicators on that either.

Michigan.gov

Estiers, have you come up with any official information?

Thank You Sponsors!