iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arkansas News on NZ TV!

Started by KiwiCharlie, April 29, 2005, 02:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

Hey,
Whats this about an Ivory billed woodpecker Ive been seeing splashed all over the national news tonight?
Seems it was thought to be extinct, but some video footage unwittingly captured one on tape recently.  Must be big news, for us down under to be hearing about it!!
I cant imagine a woody with a 3' wingspan (Im sure thats what they said), thats huge.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Fraxinus

I didn't happen to see or read about that, Charlie, but I'm glad to hear it.  The closest thing we have to that around here is the Pileated Woodpecker, which is about the size of a crow.  I love to watch them.
They used to be pretty rare and it was a big deal to see them.  They are quite shy compared to the other woodpeckers but I have gotten quite close to them as they seem to be less shy than they were years ago.  Maybe it's just because there are more of them.  (The prior statement was an opinion based on unscientific observations.)
:)
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

estiers

Heard about this on NPR yesterday.  I guess it hasnt been seen in like 50 years or something.   :o
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Paschale

Yup...heard about this too!   8)  Apparently, the last time they saw it was back in 1944.  I think I heard a 30in wingspan, which is pretty DanG close to 3ft, and is definitely huge!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Buzz-sawyer

ya'll would be suprized ifn ya saw what is roamin ,what they COULD pull outta them woods in ARKYSAW :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ARKANSAWYER

I saw that on the news and was surprised to learn that everyone thought they was gone.  I see them time to time down in the southern swamps where I deer hunt and fish.   Everyone was surprised to learn that they was not gone and I was surprised to learn that they was thought to be gone.   Good thing I caught the news.  ???
ARKANSAWYER

beenthere

Arky

If the droves of 'birders' head down there, your peace and quite time in the woods may be over, as well as for the Ivory-billed 'pecker, sorry to say.  :'(

They will come from around the world, and this area will be a big traffic jam. I had a good friend who made such trips wherever on this earth a 'rare' bird was discovered, as they have lists that they fill out like a score card, and sightings are precious to them. I'm not saying this is wrong, no worse than cutting a tree, IMO.  However all will not be the same. Kinda on the scale of the discussion about Walmart.

I see that there is an $11 million plan to pour money into the eastern AR 'forest' that now has to be preserved (implied anyway) for the habitat of the Ivory-billed (did a search on the news).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

I wonder just what we really know about the habitat of the Ivory Bill.  It has not been studied for over 60 years and was presumed extinct.  It would be very easy to reach some wrong knee jerk conclusions and destroy what has been re discovered.  The bird has survived without our help.  Perhaps the best thing to do would be to not change anything and leave the bird alone.
I would like to see one but I will wait until they reappear in my woods.  For now I will be content watching the Pileated flit about my woods.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Buzz-sawyer

OWW
It is an amazing thing.it has been taught in the BEST science books that this animal was extinct all these years........yet lo and behold it is happily living w/o the help of said scientific community.....now that it has been DISCOVERED, the scientist will figure out how to alter the logging and other circumstances to SAVE it........when in fact it could be that the logging or intrusion of the EVIL human race is what is causing them to thrive in a particular environment (see case of endangered spotted owl living in a K Mart sign) :D :D :D :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ron Wenrich

It has been rumored to be around for a number of years.  My bird book says it may or may not be extinct.  I know they were setting up motion cameras in swamps down in LA to try to catch film of the birds.  Apparently, they caught this one on film last year and waited a year for the annoucement.  It helps keep the birders away.  I saw the film last night on BBC.

Dawn redwood was considered extinct until the 1940s.  I wonder how many other "extinct" species are out there.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Norm

Earlier this spring we had a what I thought was a pileated woodpecker hanging around the woods next to our house. I'd seen some before while deer hunting in MO but not up here. It was neat to see such a huge bird with the vivid colors, it was foggy then and could not get a good look but maybe it did have an ivory colored bill, shhhhh. ;)

KiwiCharlie

I didnt realise "birding" was such a big thing!  This announcement seems to be creating quite a stir, around the world.  I hope the powers that be, can manage to leave this one alone.  Like said here, its managed ok for the last 50 odd years without 'help' from us.
Cheers
Charlie
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Texas Ranger

Ivory Billed Woodpecker, Feared Extinct, Isn't

The ivory-billed woodpecker, long feared extinct, has been seen in a remote part of Arkansas 60 years after the last confirmed U.S. sighting, ornithologists said Thursday.

http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=7629

http://www.ivorybill.org/
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Paschale

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on April 29, 2005, 10:37:49 AM
  I saw that on the news and was surprised to learn that everyone thought they was gone.  I see them time to time down in the southern swamps where I deer hunt and fish.   Everyone was surprised to learn that they was not gone and I was surprised to learn that they was thought to be gone.   Good thing I caught the news.  ???

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rockn H

Thanks to Texas Ranger, I finally saw a pic.  They have to be kidding.  It's about like the panthers that are extinct and no longer exist here. ::)

Paschale

So Rockn H, you've seen this critter flying around too?  They should just ask the locals, and not rely on the "experts" so much.   ;)

Rockn H

Yes, we had a pair next to my mother's a few years ago.  G. P. has a project to protect the Red-Cockaded woodpecker and I finally had to see what they and the Pileated woodpecker looks like.

ScottAR

I swear I've seen at least one before near the St. Francis river...   BIG bird!

Had I known it didn't exist, I woulda took a picture...   :D :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Paschale

So I was talking to a good buddy of mine who's a serious birder tonight.  He told me that the Ivory-billed WP is diffrerent than the pileated WP.  I told him what you guys in Arkansas said, and he wasn't buying it.   ::)  Anyway, just so I can tell him the straight story on this, are you guys sure it's the one they're talking about in the news?  With the white in the feathers?   :P

DanG

Pileated WPs are fairly common around here.  I watch them on a regular basis.  I was thrilled to see a Red Cockaded WP the other day, though.  He flew across the road in front of me, just a couple of miles down the road. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rockn H

Paschale, That's why I mentioned the Red Cockaded.  G.P. has a program to protect their habitat.  I was never interested enough to research though.  After checking to make sure what I was seeing as far as their names go, it's definately not the Pileated.  It's not an everyday thing to see them, but over the last few years I have seen a few, black backs with white stripes.  The size is what gets your attention.  I mentioned it at the camp today to some friends, it turns out we were all under the impression they were the Red Cackaded.  ::) I mean you don't see them that often and the R C is supposed to be endangered. ::) I hate to admit it but yes we have definately seen the Ivory Billed Woodpecker and assumed they were Red Cockaded Woodpecker. ;D  As for as this all goes, we have seen Panthers here for years, never stopped seeing them,  but the Arkansas Wildlife and Fisheries have even removed them from our endangered species list, because they aren't supposed to be here any more.  Go figure. ::)
Check out this page and notice at the bottom where they have been looking. ;D
http://www.agfc.com/critters/wildlife_mountain_lion.html

Furby

How come he only found tracks from 281 deer ???

Roxie

That's a very interesting article about the Mountain Lion.  I can add a bit of personal experience to that.   :)
In November of 2000, at 6 PM (still daylight), I was sitting in my breakfast room looking through a sliding glass door at the field behind my house.  There was a trail in that field that the deer followed to the woods below the field.  I saw what I thought at first was a large dog moving along the trail.  I watched it, and thought that I'd never seen a dog move the way this animal was moving.  As the animal got closer, I reached for a pair of binoculars.  I raised those binoculars up and was so stunned at what I saw, that I lowered them and checked again.  It was a mountain lion.  I was struck by the fact that it wasn't the color I thought it would be, it had a lot of silver color as well as tan.  The tail seemed to be longer than the cat itself, it could touch the ground.  The cat went into tall grass and I lost sight of it. 
I called a friend of mine that works for the Pennsylvania State Police and she said the State Police were very interested in sightings of Mountain Lions and she put me through to a Trooper.  I told him what I saw and he said that he believed that I did indeed see a Mountain Lion, and that other people just as reliable as myself had reported the animal in the area around me.  He asked me to please call the Pennsylvania Game Commission and report it to them.  He gave me the number, so I called.  I relayed the above information to the gentleman at the Game Commission, and he said, "Lady, you did not see a mountain lion"....I said, "Yes I did."  He said, "No, you didn't."  I said, "Then I would like to report a cat the size of a large German Shepherd in my back field."   :)
I found out from my State Police friend that they are convinced the Mountain Lion exists from the number of reports, and they were able at one sighting to see the tracks (in the snow) from it. 
Say when

Wife

Hey Ernie, maybe now we can go bush and find us a Moa. ;)
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

OneWithWood

If you find a Moa, call me.  I'll be on the next flight down!!!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!