iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"elephant man" redbud

Started by Daren, April 28, 2005, 08:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I am new to sawing and am still learning what I can about unusual wood charateristics. I have been watching a tree all winter that is the ugliest most deformed little thing I have even seen. It finally figured out what it is, it budded out (on the few limbs it has) it is a redbud. It has big bulges covering the whole trunk with little spiney things coming out of the bulges. For a redbud it is pretty big aroung for its height because of the deformity. What does redbud burl look like? Is it worth approaching the owner to see of he would sell me the tree? I will add I am a hobby woodturner, and have contacts with pro turners, I guess that is what has peaked my interest.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

tnlogger

daren can you get a pic of it ? we have what we call a thorn tree down hear that looks like a red bud in the spring. But a very nasty tree  :D very hard on the tractor and bush hog tires.  not sure if its the same tree of not
gene

Daren

I can get a pic in a few days, I have wanted to talk to the guy anyway. It is a small town, people stop by for no other reason but say hello and we haven't met yet. It is a redbud for sure they have others, it is growing in a side yard as an ornamental. I kinda figure they are attached to the tree, like a three legged pup. But maybe not, they may be looking for a good home for it. I have thought some about talking to him and if he is willing my buddy has a tree spade I would replace it with whatever he wants.

Daren

I dragged this up from way back. I kinda let the subject drop and never posted a picture... cause the people ran me off when I asked about it. Here is the picture, and I have some questions.

I got a call the other day from a guy who helps me find logs (tree service) and said he cut down a redbud and got an 18" x 9' log that was a "A real mess, covered in big bumps" did I want it? I said of course. I have yet to see the log, we have had some unpleasant weather and we have neither one headed the others direction yet. I expect to have it this week. I am getting him pretty good at looking for burls and figured woods.
I figure this belongs more in the sawing section and will probably post pictures of the log there when I get it. Does anyone have experience with redbud lumber. I did a websearch and didn't find much, just turning stock. Usually there are reasons for that. One the lumber has no market value or is hard to process, or maybe because they just don't get very big ?

WDH

They don't get very big.  They are small trees at best.  One that is 8 to 10" DBH is a good one.  An 18" one is a real whopper.  The Georgia Champion is 19.7".   I am keen to see what the wood looks like.  It is in the same family as black locust and honey locust (it has a pod for a fruit), and I wonder if the wood looks like those? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Daren

Quote from: WDH on February 11, 2007, 10:54:00 PM
They don't get very big.  They are small trees at best.  One that is 8 to 10" DBH is a good one.  An 18" one is a real whopper.  The Georgia Champion is 19.7".   I am keen to see what the wood looks like.  It is in the same family as black locust and honey locust (it has a pod for a fruit), and I wonder if the wood looks like those? 

The one in the picture is 8-10 at the ground, with the deformities 14-16 up a ways. When they guy said 18" (maybe bigger) I was very interested, I'm thinking a 10-12 tree with 6" of burl. I don't know, and won't till I see it. I have to add this guy is still learning, and may be off. But there is always beginners luck, that is what I am hoping for.

WDH

Sounds like it still may be big enough to saw.  Hopefully!!  We want to see the lumber 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Daren

Strange update. Firstly I have yet to see the 18" redbud burl tree mentioned in this thread....but the 15" of snow we got is melting (and after the mud situation that will follow) I will have it. The strange part is the one in the picture I first asked about here almost 2 years ago. The guy called me this afternoon and said he doesn't think the tree made it through the winter, and if it did just barely. If I want it just come get it (again once the snow and mud are gone) I drove by, most of the few limbs it had got taken by an ice storm this month, no cleanup. Just cut her down and off I go. 8)

And after rereading this thread it kinda shows what happens when you have a sawmill for awhile. 2 years ago I said "sell me the tree" and was willing to bend over backwards to get a yard log. Now I turn logs away, free ones. A guy sure is eager to saw when he first gets a mill, then after a little experience you can get people to pay you to take their logs. Funny how that all works.

Tom

solodan

I would charge them to take the tree. ;)

I have never seen a redbud that size. We have a native western redbud that grows here, as well as the eastern version that gets planted as an ornamental. I would say most seem to be in the 4" range.  I would be real curious to see how the inside of them logs look.

Thank You Sponsors!