iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood burning truck!

Started by ellmoe, April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

If you think of a big juicy steak,you know it has many calories in it and doesnt take anywhere near that energy to cut it up with a knife,it's the same thing with a log.
I know I only used a small portion of a gallon to slice up this log in the video but drove many miles with the wood cut from this Alder.

*the mill is set here with the double edgers to cut 2 pieces of 2x2's in a pass.There is a 3rd edger that would allow for 3.

I sure don't have any illusions about woodgas replacing gasoline but it is as satisfying to build your own system and it's along the lines of growing your own veggies even though they might be half the price at the grocery store.

http://youtu.be/7w3-qvJB2io
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Slick deal .There is a local yokel who had something about like that .Used a VW engine with a rope starter .

Paul_H

Al,
I was sorry to leave it when we moved here but the buyer wanted the mill and the kiln and was willing to pay.

Al_Smith

Those type mills are neat .Not something you see too often though .Fact I've only seen one in action which is the local guy .

He had the little mill with two blades and a big old Frick with a big diesel .I'm not even certain if he's still in the lumber biz these days .

Okrafarmer

Please don't understand me wrongly. I am completely in favor of everyone who wishes to do so, building gassifying equipment and using it. There could very well come a time when petro-fuels are far more expensive than they are now, or even impossible to obtain. The more people running on wood gas and other self-sustaining sources of energy the better. Because, as you have aptly proven, it is not at all easy to set one of these things up, and it takes time and resources to build them. If we come to a time of crisis, those of us who are not tinkering with them now, will not be able to cobble one up after the fact. Therefore, the more people doing it now, the better.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ron57

Hi Jeff, Paul and forum group,Last weekend was the woodgas meeting at the Marshall Co. Fairgrounds and it was a blast there was a large turn out both experienced woodgassers and thoes looking to build and experiment with it.People came all the way from TX to Maine. Five wood powered vehicles, a tractor, riding mower, smokeless charcoal maker a charcoal gas generator producing electric and one that would run a vechcle, a gasifier boiler for heat and a couple camping stoves for cooking.
  A lot of experienced woodgas veterans, Wayne Keith, Mike LaRosa,Rick Bates, Jeff Davis,Gary Gilmore,Jim Hart, and many more new builder that are mastering the science to run engins successfully.
Here is a link to the drive on wood web site there are a lot of pic there already and more coming in.
http://driveonwood.com/forum/80?page=1#comment-1954
Thanks and keep on burning wood, Ron L

Ron57

I pulled this tractor 20mi to the fairgrounds and home on wood

biker250

Well, I had to see it to believe it.  I attended the get together at the fairgrounds last weekend, and I'm here as a witness that it is real and it really works.  I even got to take a spin in that old red Ford in the above picture and if you were wearing a blindfold, you would've never guessed that the truck wasn't running on gasoline.  It sounds the same, drives the same, accelerates almost the same, etc.  It is almost unbelievable, but these guys really got it pretty well figered out and now I can't wait to get started on my own system.  Thanks Ron for a great event, it was great to meet you & other woodgassers.
Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom

Paul_H

Welcome biker250  :)

Great pics of the event Ron,thanks for the link and the report,it's good to see the club is increasing.

SwampDonkey

Ron, that looks like a good time with fellow wood gasers.  8) I'm interested in seeing such things, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do any such project. This going to be an annual show/gathering?  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron57

Hi Swamp Donky;I believe this is going to be an annual meeting, they have already had meetings for the last three years but not on this scale.Last year it was near Pittsburg Kansas ,If the group wants I will be glad to host it here again next year they have talked about southern In or KY also for the people down south.

SwampDonkey

Well, being as your probably a small group, it's nice to move around the country so others get to join in the action or see things.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Hmm-- a wood-burning sawmill might be in order.

:P
:o

Or would that be perpetual motion?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Paul_H

We went down to Pemberton a couple weeks ago and had a visit with the friends that are storing my woodgas truck.I was a little concerned that the gasifier might have rust issues but it looks good and it's been on my mind to get it over here so I can putter on it and smell that unique woodgas aroma.

I got an email a few days ago from a fellow named Jared in South Dakota that I had talked to a couple years ago.He is working on a  woodgas truck and is making a good job of it.
Here is part of the email and he gave me permission to share his pics as well.
It's encouraging to see guys building and tinkering.

QuoteHi Paul,
I guess it's been a couple years since I emailed you about the MEN wood gas truck that you built and I would like to build.  I'm still working on mine down here in South Dakota but it's been hard to find the time to do it.  I just finished modifying the carburetor and once my job at the railroad ends in September, maybe I can take a month and finish welding the last of it.

Are you still driving your truck?  Gas prices are starting to jump again down here. 

Anyways, I'm wondering how you dealt (or did not deal) with spark advance control that the MEN plan briefly mentions?  The distributor that the MEN plan talks about belongs to a Chevy but the truck I'm using is a 1978 Ford F150 and I believe yours is a similar model. 

Thanks,
Jared Rittberger

Here are Jared's pics

The first shows the inside of the gasifier with the air tubes that run down to the tuyeres.On top of the gasifier you can see his modified carb ready to install on the engine.

Jared has made flanges to give him better access to the hearth and tuyeres which is a great idea because sooner or later you need to do maintenance.

isawlogs

Those are some of the things I wish I could find time for, list is just sooooo long  :-\  but said list is always interesting at some point. I think the worst part of it all is that I have too many points of interest and just tooooo many things I want to do. Priorotising is the issue  ::) :)  It's a good thing though, as I never get bored  teeter_totter
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

I agree Marcel,priorities.
The shop has been my full time project 65 hours a week and I don't dare stray too far off track until we accomplish our goals for the place.I did take a unrestored 1929 Model A roadster for a test drive a month ago and the price was a good one but after mulling on it awhile,decided to keep focused. ;)

isawlogs

:) BIL has a '27 Star sitting in boxes and rolling chassis that could be an addition to my todo list, but the list is sooooo long that I just can't seam to find the light of day that would bring me close to the Star.....  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

A friend and I left here at 5:30 the other morning and went to Pemberton to pick up the woodgas truck.10 miles down the road,the spring in the trailer latch broke and the trailer jumped off the hitch,tripped the brakes and the safety chains did their job.(rented trailer)
We hooked it back up and used black tape and zap straps to hold the latch and continued on the 5 hour trip.
When we got to Pemberton,the truck wouldn't start because the battery is shot.We dragged the truck backwards but the left rear wheel was locked.As I was dragging the woodgas truck with my Chev,a stick jillpoked and tore the inner plastic fender off my front driver side and another bent the exhaust. ???
I was feeling like a 14 year old that got his dad's truck stuck and wondered if we were going to get home the same day.
We dragged the truck down to the trailer but on the sidehill,the locked wheel put us off lead to the trailer.We hooked the winch to the truck and it sparked but wouldn't pull.Got out the come-alongs and had to use a purchase and got only three feet at a time before re rigging.
Finally got it on and secured,then used gear clamps to hold the hitch and headed back home around 4pm.Stopped for gas on the other side of the mountain pass(14% in places) and a couple guys told us the right rear trailer wheel was flat and they offered to phone Cal Tire and have them wait for us.$180.00 later we had a new tire and drove on toward home.

I pulled in the driveway at 10:30,parked the truck,had a quick visit with my wife and I headed of to bed- quite tired.
The truck is finally here and I look forward to firing it up again and smell the crosote smell of woodgas again!

Here  is a cool old Swedish documentary on woodgas production and usage in 1942

http://youtu.be/vGO5J9HMkGE

mad murdock

That was a cool video! Glad you made it home with everything in one piece. Will be great to hear of your progress and updates with the truck.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

That's quite a journey home. Should have took one of the kids along, something to talk about and be reminded of for some time. ;D :)

magicmikey

Paul, this is the last week to get the gasser shined up for the show. :-X
mike

Paul_H

Hi Mike,
I plan to go to the show next week but not with the woodgas truck  ;)
There is an 87 Ford F150 with a 300 six I've been looking at but it is fuel inject and I would have preferred a carb. I still may see about buying it and swapping over.

Ron57

Hi Paul,
I am glad to see you got your truck back all right.My truck has the 300cid 6 cylinder and it runs good but is pretty wimpy pulling a trailer.Your gasifier should switch over well. I run 2500rpms at 60mph and my sizing is pretty close to yours.The best thing is all of the room under the hood to work with.

Paul_H

As the season slowed down there has been more time to work on the woodgas truck.I found a 1982 F100 with a 300 6 cyl and got a steel bush box cheap and cut the sides off to make a flatbed. I didn't like how high the gasifier sat on the old truck and I wanted it side mounted like I had seen in pics from the 1940's so this was a good opportunity.
Instead of the liquid coolant style cooler,this truck will have a cooling rack which will cool the gas and serve as sides for the flat bed.

Jeff

Nice.  :)

Oh it would be wonderful to have a shop. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!