iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood burning truck!

Started by ellmoe, April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Good post Kevjay.  I would only add that there are some industrious individuals on this forum that might give ole Tesla a run for his money.  ;)

Paul,
Keep at it.  We are all waiting for you to drive the beast to the first piggy roast in the UP.  Might even help propel Kevin to new heights  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Paul_H

Thanks for the encouragement ;) :)

I've got a couple more days off right now and I'm caught between working on the gasifier or doing what needs doing in the yard and around the house now that spring is here. ::)

Pineywoods,
thanks for the tip on the check valve source,I'll check with the supplier tomorrow.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

Right on kevjay, it is all a commie right wing leftist goobermint conspiracy funded by the Arab oil producers. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: slowzuki on April 10, 2007, 02:11:07 PM
It sure looks to me that Paul's fixin to build a still not a truck, all this talk about condensing this and catching that :D
As you probably know zuki.....he really is building a type of still , he is doing violent distilation....inthis case the the catalsyis combustion :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paul_H

I was able to get a little more done today.Lots of vise,drill and hacksaw work to build and install the tuyeres(nozzles).Note the tuyere has a small hole on the top.It was drilled out to 13/64th and the horizontal hole was drilled to 9/32.
These orifice sizes were chosen thanks to Farmerdoug's help in the calculations to find the correct size for the superficial velocity.
Thank you Doug.

Installed and looking up from the bottom at the tuyere ring,16 each with two orifices for a total of 32 "jets"

The screen for the hearth was woven with stainless steel rod inserted through about 32 holes drilled around the hearth.This screen will suspend the coals but allow air and ash to flow through.

Here the 20 gauge stainless steel liner is being pushed in from the top and it will sit on the outside of the tuyere ring and protect the wall of the tank.It'll be held out from the wall a half inch or so with fibreglass insulation but the ash itself,once accumulated should both insulate and protect the tank wall.

Putting the liner through the top was like trying to shove a Cat into a bag.I got bit and scratched and it tried to jump back out a couple times  ;)

And finally,the liner is in place between the tank and the tuyere ring.The hearth and screen is also in place.

Tomorrow,I will try to fit the bottom of the unit on including the gas outlet.

Fla._Deadheader

I been lookin North, tryin to spot a column of smoke movin about  8)

Yer gonna have this thing workin before I get the Bio-Cruiser converted  ??? 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Paul
You are makin good progress, and great pics.  :) :) :)

Anxious here to be seein da smoke, like FDH
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

It's coming together nicely, Paul.  It won't be long now  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

Keep on chooglin Paul; you're on the doorstep! 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Paul_H

Still chooglin ;)

I've got two days off and the weather in my shop is sunny and warm so things have been moving along nicely.

When I was driving past a dumpsite in the bush this Spring,I noticed a driveshaft about 3.5" dia so I stopped and grabbed it to use as a gas outlet for the gasifier.I traced the templates to fit the 22" dia and marked it with soapstone and then cut it out with the torch and cleaned it up with the grinder.

Pure Obtainium!

Next on the list was to cut another bottom out of a 22" tank to weld onto the inside bottom of the gasifier tank as a heat shield. 1" spacers were tacked on and then rock wool was added before dropping it all into the bottom of the tank and welding it up.

It was a real bearcat to weld inside the tank because of the glass lining in the old tanks.It will not grind off with the grinder.I've had limited success with heating the glass to melting point and then scraping it off with the chisel but it aint very productive.The glass forms a hard slag and I have to be really carefull not to burn holes when the glass bonding is present.
I was wondering if any of you would have any ideas? I was wondering about Muriatic acid ?  ???

Here is looking in at the tank bottom through the 4" cleanout port.The bottom "J" of an airtube is just visible in the top of the pic and the superheated gas will pass over the air tubes from the bottom and rise up to the gas outlet tube.

Here are the two halves ready to be joined together.(Note the oval cutout for the gas outlet)

And finally,after some blood blisters and cuts,they are joined,tacked and ready to weld up in the morning! 8)

Sid

Don't know much about stoves,but know a little about Corn Whisky ;D

Paul_H

I've pretty much completed the gasifier part of the project now except for the lid gasket and some wire wheeling and paint.I did some work on the condensate tank today and have it fitted and also have the lid handle and latch done.

The condensate tank collects the condensation from the wood as it heats up in the feedtank.The water is cooled by the air inlet pipes and collects in the "monorator" before heading out the pipe and down to the condensate tank.

The tank was an air tank scavenged from a old Madill logging yarder and the pipes,all 1" black iron were cut at home and taken to the machine shop for threading.

The bottom valve will be used to drain of the collected water,it is connected to a pipe that extends 1/3 into the tank so when the water is drained,there is always some left over to create a vacuum seal.The valve above drains the entire tank for cleaning.

This next pic is of the lid hinge which is a 3/8 pipe nipple between two female elbows welded to a automobile leaf spring to which the lid itself is bolted.It makes a nice tight hinge.

and finally the handle and latch

I've got some Black and Silver high heat paint.I was thinking either all Black with Silver lid and Blue condensate tank or Black bottom and Silver top. :) ::)

Paul_H

The next move is to decide which type of cooler and filter system to go with.The first pic shows the updated(1981) MEN filter that they used to go cross country in their truck.
The gas must pass through water with an anti foaming agent(dishwasher detergent) then up the side of tank #1 and hen back down through the water in tank #2 then it passes through a bubbler in tank #3 and exits out the pipe to the engine.

It's like a giant Hookah pipe :)

The problem with this system is it relies on water and that could cause some real problems here from October through March.

This next pic isn't too clear but it is a 5' high,6 inch diameter pipe with 12,  1/2" tubing forming cooler in the same fashion as a vertical boiler only here the gas travels through the tubes which are surrounded with circulating engine coolant.

From there the cooled gas passes through a second column with with a fibreglass filter medium

I'm sure open to suggestions :)

Here is a link to a woodgas project on You Tube.I believe they are Swedes(I notice it takes three Swedes to do the work of one Norwegian)  :D

You Tube link

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Paul_H

What does that mean in Yooper? ::)

pineywoods

The gengas site shows how to use a 30 gallon garbage can filled with wood chips for a filter. Just a garbage can with an air tight lid, an inlet pipe for the gas at the bottom and an outlet pipe near the top. the whole thing filled with the same chips the burner uses for fuel. For a cooler, think truck radiator or the intercooler off a dodge cummins.
I'm following this project with great  interest. I'm wondering if the burner would tolerate sawdust instead of wood chips?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Paul_H

pineywoods,

I think there could be packing and bridging problems with sawdust unless there was a way to keep it suspended.I don't know if the nozzles would work in this design.

QuoteFor a cooler, think truck radiator or the intercooler off a dodge cummins

I've been talking to a fella in WI that runs an old Studebaker on woodgas and he has been messing with radiators.He said it was causing way too much resistance on the rad he was using.It was a large car rad that he adapted 3" inlets but I suppose a larger rad from a industrial diesel would be better.I have this rad from a Detroit Diesel out back.I'd have to change the inlets to 3"

Paul_H

Quote from: ellmoe on April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM
    During the day I listen to talk radio. My ear protectors have an AM/FM radio and listening helps keep my mine occupied! This afternoon the local station (Orlando) was discussing gas prices and they  had a gentleman from Ala. on. He was talking about his truck that he had modified to run on wood. Turns out that he has a home made sawmill and he burns his scrap wood in a burner that is in his truck bed. He said that the oven heats to about 2000 degrees and the smoke is consumed/ converted in the process so that no smoke is exhausted. When the show host asked him if anyone could do this the fella said, "Nope!". He elaberated that you have to "be the kind of person that never goes to an auto mechanic, has experience with wood stoves,..., and it helps if you know something about making corn whiskey! ";D I wish that I could remember his name, he'd be a natural for the forum. How 'bout you Bama boys, anyone know him?

By the way, he says he can run 80 miles an hour and gets 3,000miles/cord! :)

Mark

The man is Wayne Keith from Springville Alabama and he would indeed be a natural for the forum.I was introduced to him through Mike LaRosa from WI who is another woodgas driver.
After pineywoods mentioned the garbage can for a filter housing,I remembered the pics I'd seen of Wayne's truck so I e-mailed him and asked permission to post his pics here on the forum.
As well as getting permission,he sent a whole whack of pics of his two woodgas trucks and some of his homestead and sawmill.

Here are a few to start

and,my favourite.......sorting out the junkmail  :D

TexasTimbers

:D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

I need a junkmails sorter that doubles as a motive system for my truck like Wayne has and you are building. ;)

Paul I am still amazed at your tenacity, perseverance, and resourcefulness. Can't wait to see a video of it running! 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Paul_H

Thanks Kevin,the hard part of this project is knowing when to put the welder and torches away and do things around the house that need doing like the lawn,and other Honeydoos If I could,I'd be out there every day working on it.  ;)

Here are some other pics of Waynes newer woodgas truck.He's made the unit a lot more subtle.The side racks are the gas cooling system.

Paul_H

Oh yeah,here is a link to a website in Sweden.They seem to be having a lot of fun,wish I was there.

Vedbil Link

Dave Shepard

This has been a great thread! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to it, especially Pual H. ;) I don't think I'd want to make a woodgas truck, but the thought of making a generator to run the barn on would work pretty slick I would think. The light bill chews up the better part of a $1000 every month.

Tesla: smiley_thumbsup
Edison: smiley_thumbsdown

Tesla may have been eccentric, but he was the real deal when it comes to brilliance. Thomas A.(adequate) Edison wasn't as impressive as he would have liked everyone to think he was. "I have not failed, I have merely found 10,000 wrong ways to do something." -Edison. I think this sums him up nicely.
Tesla did many things that scientists can't replicate today, including running electric motors with no apparent mechanical connection, to anything! I am not surprised that the Wardenclyff Tower didn't take off, after all, who is going to make money off of free electricity for everyone?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

I'm wondering if the tubing on the livestock trailer is a contraption to catch the fuel from the methane generator that he has inside of it. :D

And....  can you store woodgas or do you have to burn a load of wood to go to the store?

ellmoe

Paul,

I havn't looked in at this thread in a long time :-[, thanks for tracing Wayne down, the photos are "way cool"! I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of you tooling down the road in your "wood burning truck".
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Paul_H

Quote from: ellmoe on June 04, 2007, 06:00:14 PM
Paul,

I havn't looked in at this thread in a long time

But see what you started with a few seeds?  ;)

Tom,
I have read talk about storage tanks but I have never seen documentation.My understanding is, it is a "producer gas" that is produced on demand from the engine or blower.
I think they have bladder tanks for methane though.

Here is a link to those three Swedes but this time they did it in English for their International fans.I think that is pretty DanG decent of them.

Link til vedbil

I painted up the gasifier last week with heat paint but it's pretty well done so it's time to work on the cooler

Thank You Sponsors!