iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood burning truck!

Started by ellmoe, April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

There is supposed to be around a 2" gap between the inside and outside tank so the overall difference needs to be 4" in dia.I have lots of 100lbs, 16" propane tanks at my disposal but there doesn't seem to be any 20-22" tanks handy. 16" inside 18" would be a tight squeeze.

Besides all that,I'm really stubborn. ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Not only that, he's probably not suffering yet for wheels either.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Got my first 22" tank 8)

I phoned the main office of the recycling company and asked if he minded if I drove up to the Whistler transfer depot and spoke with the lead hand  in person and they told me that would be just fine.I drew up a little diagram with the dimension and included my name and number and drove the 35 minutes up there to drop it off and meet them.
Both guys up there are on the ball and they promised to set some aside for me.It turned out they had the right sized tank(22") in a bin and the lead hand went with me an helped toss it in the back of my truck.

They had heard nothing from the main office  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

Hot DanG. Smoke gets in yer eyes.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Hey I forgot. There is a feller up the road, and unless I'm totally a corn ball here, who has a tank hooked up to some kind of tractor that he made himself ? Some day, when I get up the courage, I'm gonna stop in and get the story. For all I know that old hot water tank might be holding petrol gas. ;D  :D

And yes, if ever there was a bunch that fit the phrase "just rolled in on a turnip wagon, that be them". ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

It turns out the tank was only 20" but I can make it work,it'll just be tight to fit the 16, 3/8" pipes between the feed tank and the outside wall.The OD of the pipe is 5/8" and it has to fit in the 13/16" space between tanks.Drilling 11/16" holes on a steep concave slope will be a challenge too.

I cut an 18 inch tank at 33" to build the feed tank and hearth

After the tank was cut the bottom was measured to fit the hearth and 16 holes marked out to fit the 3/8" air pipe supply pipes to the nozzles.

The enamel on the bottom of the tank was really flying when heat was applied

Paul_H

The hearth of cast iron is needed to prevent the air from cutting the red hot metal in the hearth zone.The temperatures at the hearth restrictions will be between 1700-2000F
The engine that will be powered with the woodgas is a 302 cu in and according to the plans,the hearth opening  5" dia.I bought a 8" and a 10" cast iron frying pans and cooked the oils out of them in the woodstove and then drilled a cirle pattern and knocked out the center.

The two cast iron pans were place back to back as shown in the diagram above,and placed on an old junker propane BBQ to preheat and keep hot while welding together with Nickel rod.After the welding was finished,the hearth was wrapped in pink insulation and placed in a bin of sand and then covered over in more sand andsawdust to cool slowly.

I'm still in the process of fitting the hearth in the tank but the pic shows the general idea.The hearth will have a screen of 1/8" Stainless steel wire.Tomorrow I'll take the die grinder to the hearth opening and pretty things up a bit.

Furby

Paul_H

No,just the running lights on the car belonging to Tom's friend.It was a clear blue day but the camera made the pics look dark :)

This will be the truck for this project.It's a 79 F100 2wd standard trans.We'll go to town and pick it up friday and bring it home.It won't be ready to fit for who knows when but I want it handy.

SwampDonkey

Yeah that Dang sun this time of year is in your face all day. So, the camera is either over exposed or dark.  ::) It's been sunny here non stop for 2 weeks now. There's been a nasty storm off the coast, but never touched us. Might see something tomorrow.

Be interesting to see that old Ford running on alternative fuel. ;D

Moonlight

Nice ride. You are gonna have to come out and see me in it  ;)

Paul_H

Welcome to the forum Moonlight.

"Moonlight" is my eldest daughter,Randi. :)

SwampDonkey

HI, moonlight. I figured you was Paul's daughter already from your location and message. He said he was out visiting ya around Christmas. I guess he's trying to find a cheaper way out now, eh? Oh well, just a day's drive. ;)  ;D

beenthere

Welcome Moonlight.
Now let's here some good stories about this guy Paul_H.   :)

And some about yourself, and how the name Moonlight comes to be..........we're all ears  ;D

Without some explanation, we tend to make things up on our own.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

farmerdoug

Welcome , Moonlight. :)

You better watch these guys 'cause they can really make up some tall tales. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Furby

Donk, if I understand things right.........
You burn wood to create gasses to run the truck engine on, right?
So how much wood would it take to make that day's drive and how much effort do ya figure he's gonna have involved? ;D

Welcome Moonlight! 8)

Norm

Welcome to the forum moonlight. :)

SwampDonkey

Furb, I think he needs a good sized trailer in tow. ;D

Jeff

All he needs is a saw...

Welcome Moonlight!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

How can I "J" bend the 3/8 pipe at home without using a proper bender with dies? Can I fill the pipe with sand to keep it from collapsing and then knock out the sand when it's done? Will it work?

I have to do this 16 times. ::)

Furby

Gonna be a lot of work, but yes you can.
Probly need to cap the ends.

Is it copper?

Paul_H

beenthere

Have any pulley's (wheels, rims,) with the radius that you wanna bend to?  I've got a tubing bender that I could take a picture of, that I think with a couple wheels the right radius and a lever, you could make a bender. Gonna bend to a 90°, 180° ??

Might be able to turn a wood roller on a lathe that would have a groove that would fit the pipe and the right radius for bending around.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

What Beenthere said mounted to a heavy plank will work.
You'll need a pin in place to hold the end of the pipe and may need to leave the pipe long and cut off the end, depending on how you end up building the jig.
Also, if you can leave the pipe as long as possible for leverage, and then cut off the bent part as you go will help.

Thank You Sponsors!