iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood burning truck!

Started by ellmoe, April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Like maybe we are burning through the known reserves of oil at an alarming rate?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Rockn H

I've been looking around the net and have found alot of plans and I think enough information to get a wood gassifier going.  My question is, does any one have any practical experience to know ,since the size of the gassifier is built to the hp rating of the engine, how long on a 5 hp engine could you get one to burn between refueling as it seems to smolder.  Lets say I was burning hard wood.   

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 29, 2005, 10:29:27 AM

Buzz and I have exchanged info several times. He fully understands where the electricity comes from. Simple source.  ;D ;D   I am still wanting to develop the idea, maybe in Costa Rica.

The Ticos are very enterprising people.  ;) ;)
I think I know what y'all are using but I can't find any reference on the web.  How about a hint. ;D  I'm in need of educat'n

Egon

Iceland has a Hydrogen gas filling station. It's made possible as they use natural thermal energy to produce electricity to produce hydrogen.

Egon

Fla._Deadheader

The easiest engine to experiment with, is an old "one lunger", like Jeff B and Harold are collecting. They can be used straight out of the field.

I once had an old "Edison" Genset and the original Nickel-Iron Batteries. I played around with it, whenever I was charging the batteries, to use for lighting in our house. I took a 100# Propane tank, with regulator, and ran a plastic line directly into the opening of the carb.

I had a petcock in the line, so I could adjust the flow. Too much would slow the engine and produce a little black smoke. Too little would bog the engine.

Today, everyone wants a "right off the shelf" get the best mileage possible, RIGHT NOW.  What ever happened to EXPERIMENTING, people ??????

I have the info for producing Hydrogen, but, I am not sharing at this time.

If some enterprising engineering type would like to offer a LITTLE time, to help me develop the key part, I would be more open with the info.  ;D :)

Today, I will start my first batch of Bio-Diesel. Even though I have to move, and have NO spare time, I WILL do this. Can't just sit around and complain.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

UPdate  ;D ;D  Got 3 test batches of Biodiesel sittin on the kitchen counter.  8) 8)

Where da heck is Buzz ????   I  got some note comparin to do  ??? ??? ???

Right now, using excessive amounts for titration, I can see $1.40/ gallon. SHOULD be able to ½ that, at least  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

floyd

If 1 uses svo some modifications should be done to the powerplant. fuel does better if heated. powerplant lasts longer if started on dead dinosauers then allowed to burn off all svo by introducing dino back inso it will start on dino next time around

Also overlooked is the distillation process leaves some BAD by products. AKA hazardous waste.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

I bought the plans for a woodgas generator from the Mother Earth News article RonW mentioned.I have been slowly gathering parts such as old hotwater tanks as well as researching all the information I can on the subject.Right now I'm having a difficult time finding the wider diameter bare tanks at 22".The most common tanks used around here seem to be 18" dia.
There has been a few updates on the plans from the original article on the gas cooler/cleaner and the nozzles(tuyeres) The plans include 3, 24"x34"diagrams with decent photos,measurements,charts and graphs to help choose the proper sized generator and nozzles as well as a complete materials list.

I plan on building the generator as a hobby much like I did when I built a Model A a few years back.
It was enjoyable to me and I learned a lot and met some interesting people along the way.

Here are a few more links to Woodgas

Pics,old and new

Great technical link from FOA

Fires that fit

For some really great pictures of cars,trucks,buses and even motorcycles powered by woodgas, run a google image search on either holzgas which is German ,or gengas which is Swedish.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

farmerdoug

Paul,  To bad we are so far away from each other.  I have a couple of those tanks laying around.  I have always been interested in this also so keep us updated on your project.  I think it would be a great fit for a saw mill.  Heat and electricity that would be great.

I am collecting the makings of a biodiesel project myself.  I will have to talk to Buzz and OWW on that soon also.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Paul_H

Farmerdoug,

I've been gathering up more materials and have decided to start on the 18" feed tank and the cast iron hearth while waiting to hear word on the 22"tanks.I have the local plumbers and the recycle centers(garbage collectors) keeping an eye out for the larger tanks.I've put up a $20 finders fee too. ::)

The past few days I've poured over the plans and have some measurements recorded in my binder to make things a little easier.The hearth is two cast iron frying pans welded back to back with a hole about 3" cut out.One pan is 8' and the smaller is 6" and I'll keep it warm on the old BBQ while I tack it.
We still have to figure what vehicle we'll power with this but I'm thinking either a late 70's GM PU or a Ford ranger sized truck.Have to decide before I cut out the hearth.

How far along are you on collecting the fixings for a Biodiesel plant? There is a guy just down the road from me that has most of the major items but hasn't kicked himself in the butt yet.

Fla._Deadheader

Paul, is it possible that you only need 55 gallon drums. ??? They measure 22" across
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

Harold,
I was hoping to use a HW tank because I like the looks of the domed top for shedding water and also the lid design that comes with the plan but I'll have a good look at the 55 gal drums too,thanks.

farmerdoug

Paul, I have about half of the items on my list.  The project is in the garage which has no heat and an air door so it is on hold at the moment.

Check with the well guys too.  I think a water tank would work great.

FD,  I would not use a drum as the thin metal will burn out quickly.  The metal of a water tank is much heavier and will last alot longer.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Fla._Deadheader

I've seen Barrel stoves last for several years. Just use hi-temp paint ???

Might be that cold water tanks are a different size ??? They have domed tops  ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Let's make Hydrogen with soda cans ;D :D

I know the guy in the article, right up your alley Fla_Deadheader. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Interesting idea but it looks like it did not take off.  One problem I have with it is that it talks like aluminum is hard to recycle.  It is one of the easiest to recycle and conserves the most energy doing it too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

Yeah, it's the original process of separation from the boxite that ain't so efficient. Call me Mr Magnate. ;D I've been in the Alcan Smelter in Kitimat and the pens and paper clips gravitate to the ceiling.  :D

I don't know that it mentioned it being difficult to recycle. I think maybe they are looking at alternative methods.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds good to me  8) 8)

What if ya don't drink Sody Pop ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

farmerdoug

Buy pies. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

:D :D Oh boy, another 'barrel of monkeys' ;D :D

Polly

8) 8)  griffin industries  northern ky picks up used grease and such from restuarnts  sells it to lykens oil northern ky where it is refined and then used in diesel oil i think i heard about five pc i found out a while back when my fuel filters started stopping up on my trucks :o :o

Paul_H

In our town there is a garbage transfer station where metals,cardboard,plastic etc is separated when people bring stuff into the yard.There is a guy that works there and I spoke to him several months ago about setting aside some tanks and I would pay a finders fee of $20 cash for each tank and also pay the dumping fee when I brought the metal skin and insulation back after stripping the tank.He wrote it down in his book with my name and phone number and the dia tanks needed.
I've gone back a few times and he draws a blank and then after I reintroduce myself,he takes down my name and phone number and dia of tanks needed.
Yesterday I went by and told him what I was looking for and he told me there was a tank in "just the other day" that fit that discription.He told me he was starting to keep a book for these types of things,so he took my name and phone number as well as the tank dia needed.See the pattern here? Ever see Bill Murray in Groundhog Day?This guy is my age for Petes sake. smiley_dizzy

He checks each load brought in anyway,all he has to do to make an extra $20 is to lay a tape measure across the top of the HW tank.If it is to specs,flop it on the ground and pick up the phone and I would be by with cash in hand and the tank would be out of his way.

Must be patient,must be patient. smiley_fused_bomb

Fla._Deadheader

Know any Plumbers, Paul. That's the direct hotline to tank failures.  ;) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

I had one plumber keeping an eye out the past few months but this past week I've contacted a few more.What they are telling me is that the newer tanks are a standard diameter so the larger capacity tanks are taller instead of wider.They tell me the 22" tanks are still out there,just not as many.

Fla._Deadheader

Guess I just gotta know, WHY does it HAVE to be 22" ???  Won't the wood smoke in a slimmer tank ???  ::) ::) ::)

If the plans call for that, remember, those plans are 20 years old or more  ??? ::) ::)

On another note, a 60 gallon tank will only hold around 48 gallons ???  Sounds like the same Engineers that designed the 2 X 4 ???   They ain't 2 X 4 either ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!