iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood burning truck!

Started by ellmoe, April 28, 2005, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

That's gonna be tough with sand. Don't know anybody that could hep ya ??? No fabrication shops that have a machine ???

That's a LOT of stretch. Hope the seam doesn't open up ???

Holding the bending end will be a trick ???  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Beenthere,

if you would post a pic of the bender I'd be thankfull. I see that a clothesline pulley has the right sized groove for the pipe but it's made of pot metal so it may not hold up.The bend will be 180°

Harold,
There are two machine shops locally I could use and I still may but I wanted to see what options I had for doing it at home.I'll give the local rental shop a call tomorrow and see what they have.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

Ed and I have bent hundreds of curved handles for the sand scoops. It was 1" EMT thinwall, and was all we could do with the right sized Hickey Bender and a 3' X 1" iron pipe handle.

Keeping your balance is the biggest problem.  Before we proceeded very far into marketing the product, I made a "Wheel" Bender from 3 pieces of ¾" plywood sandwiched, on my wood lathe. Still had the problem of balance and power.

Rental might have something ???  Gonna be interesting. What's the radius ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

chet

Last time I had ta bend some pipe like that I took it to da local custom muffler shop. Cost me a whole 6 pack of barley pops.   ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Minnesota_boy

I think I'd be heating that black iron pipe until it weren't black no more before I'd try bending it.  Gotta stretch the outside pretty far to come around. :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Paul_H

I think you're right about the heat :)
The radius will be 3-4" if we can get away with it.I may see if John is around the machine shop but he likes to sneak off for warmer climates this time of year. ;)

beenthere

I have a pic (more if wanted) of the tubing bender (thinking black iron pipe would not work too well without heating, and then probably not flow right) that I threw together for 3/8" tube. Pic shows a 3/8" wood dowel inserted. The lower handle is moved toward the upper handle, turning the 'wheel' that is grooved for the 3/8" tube (other sizes of 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 shown separate) with a latch holding the tube to the wheel.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

BT, ya writ "tube", If that's whatcher bendin, that's great. PIPE is a LOT tougher, especially that small of a radius.

I like the tool, though.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

Thanks for posting the pic Beenthere.What did you use them for,mostly?
The od of the pipe is 5/8 so I wonder if a hyd press with dies is what is needed?

beenthere

Yup, FDH is right. It's a tube bender, not pipe bender.

Paul
Guessing el's and threaded pipe makin the bend won't work?  Needs to be bent to work?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Paul
I found 180° black pipe elbows, but only go down to ½" pipe, not 3/8". In McMaster-Carr online.

Nothing bent to turn back 180°

Pic of the 180 elbow

south central Wisconsin

Fla._Deadheader

I was thinkin I seen sumat one time, in 1" size ???  Good post BT.  ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

I talked to John at the machine shop yesterday and he told me to bring the pipes by this morning.John has a small farm and runs a great machine shop,very tidy on the outside and it blends in well in the rural neighbourhood.A good cottage industry.
John took the measurements I come up with and started to make up a grooved hub on the lathe @ 4"  for the bend.

I took this picture and then I went home to work on the hearth.John called just before lunch and asked me to head back to the shop and have a look at the first pipe that he bent.
He used heat on the first pipe but then we put a cheater bar on the end of the lever and bent the next one cold and it turned out well!

Fla._Deadheader

That's a right smart of a heavy duty bender.  8) 8) 8)

First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

I'll say.  :) Pretty cool stuff. Probably home made to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JimBuis

Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Paul_H

John just threw it together this morning.

I just got called back to work on the road crew a few minutes ago.I start tomorrow morning on a bridge so it looks like this project might become hit and miss because it'll be dark out when i get home.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

Why, Shoot, Paul. Just make a Faar  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Where are those headlights when ya need them ??? ;D

SwampDonkey

.....or toasty warm shop for that matter. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

I think he forgot to move the shop when he was moving the rest of the buildings. ;)

SwampDonkey

You mean after all the excitement of moving that camp that sea sawed when going down the driveway and just clearing the wires, resulted in no shop? hmm  ::)

Paul_H

I have a little tiny shop with a bench but the building is so old and dry that I'm afraid to do any grinding in there.It's only about 25' from our house  :)

farmerdoug

Paul,  You better be careful with this project.  If they find out you burn wood to drive they will be sending you all over to work on jobs.  ::) If you complain about the cost of fuel they will just give you a box of trimming and tell you to be there tomorrow. ;) :D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Furby

Thinking he's gonna need one cool looking topper on the truck to help hide as much of this as he can.

Thank You Sponsors!