iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's your favorite book on Kiln Drying?

Started by Gilman, April 28, 2005, 04:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Looking for recommendations on what book(s) you'd recommend on drying lumber.

Thanks in advance,

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Larry

A Forest Service pub called Drying Hardwood Lumber by Denig, Wengert, & Simpson.  Parts are hard to understand at times but it covers about everything.  The number on my book is FPL-GTR-118.  Think it is on line someplace but I don't have the link...betcha Tom does though.

Another favorite is Understanding Wood by Hoadley.  It is really general but has a lot of valuable information on wood characteristics and is easy to understand.  I have the first addition but he revised the book and supposibly the second addition is more better....I'm to tight to plunk the money down to find out. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jason_WI

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Frank_Pender

David, I can write you a one pager and give to you, if you wish.  You just have never asked to the Pender one page addition. :D :'( :'( :'(
Frank Pender

Gilman

Frank, I herby formally request the copyrighted FP One Pager Drying Instructions manual.

David

Larry

Run me a copy to Frank. :D

Ya got that tree planter running yet?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Frank_Pender

Larry, on the tree planter, the fee for shipping was far in excess of what your were quoted. :'(  I just went ahead and paid the fee. ;D

Now for the one pager issue:  I was kicked off the other place about two years ago for questioning the fine professor and his knowledge of Western wood fiber drying processes.   Therefore, you are forewarned. :)

Step 1.  After sawing the lumber the desired or requested dimensioins I sticker the
             all lumber with 1" x 1" stickers that are 54" long to match the width of my
             kiln dollies.

Step 2.  All stickers ar place 18" to 20" apart and never placing one sticker directly
             above another in the layering of the lumber. 

Step 3.  After the unit is sufficient in size to the capacity of my loader, I move the
              unit to a very shared area of the Tree Farm for air drying.

Step 4.   I place a lid of tin with stickers between it and the lumber on the top.

Step 5.   I date the unit for the time of sawing and let it set  anywhere from 90
              to 120 days depending on the species and thickness.   The thicker the
              material the longer the air drying stay.

Step 6.   After the alloted time I remove the material from the shaded area to the
              kiln.

Step 7.    The kiln stay is for at least 30 days for all hardwoods.  If the material is
               greater than 5/4 the stay is as much as 35 to 40 days.

Step &.    The temp schedule:

Week 1.  75 to 80 degrees

Week 2. 120 to 125 degrees

Week 3.  135 to 140 degrees

Week 4.  145 to 150 degrees

the last 4 days of weeks 4 is at 165 degrees

Wa la; you have kiln dried lumber.   

Frank Pender

Gilman

Dan_Shade

why don't you stack the stickers in line with each other?  I thought misaligned stickers promoted bowed lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Frank_Pender

If the are directly in line then you have an area where drying is hindered by the stickers, one above the other. :'(
Frank Pender

Gilman

I got the Understanding Wood by Hoadley and have read it.  Pretty good book.  Now I'll have to try out the other. 

Thanks again

Larry

Glad ya liked Understanding Wood.  Found an old link where I got the next book at a lot better price...FREE...don't even think I paid postage. (our tax dollars at work). ;D  Call the phone number and ask if they have an index to any of there other books...some are free and some get to be pretty pricey.

Drying Hardwood Lumber / Denig, J.; Wengert, E.M.; Simpson, W.T. Madison, Wis. Forest Products Laboratory, 2000. 138 p. (U.S. Forest Service. General technical report ; FPL-118)
Available from Clyde Meador, Publications Department,Wood Education & Resource Center, 301 Hardwood Lane, Princeton, WV 24740. Phone 304-487-1510 Fax 304-487- 6661 Email    education@werc-hdw.com.
www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr118.pdf

Few more books are Gunstock Woods and other fine timbers by Virgil Davis. The Conversion & Seasoning of Wood by William H. Brown.  These two are not very expensive paperbacks and not to technical.  Lumber Drying Sourcebook...not for sure if this one is worth the price or not.  They will have it at the above link.  All of these, I guess, are just interesting reading and not essential, or even necessary, for kiln drying.

Den Socling

Frank,

It's OK to put stickers directly over each other because water travels much faster lengthwise than out the sides of your lumber. If you have a temporary higher MC under the stickers, the moisture will move sideways and find it's way out.

Den

Thank You Sponsors!