iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

your ideas on fence post treatment

Started by Buzz-sawyer, April 28, 2005, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Any suggestions on where to get penta...or any treatment that will actually work on posts?
I am building  about a mile of fence and have the means and patience to treat cut posts....
Problem is the Government is making it difficult to go to the farm store and BUY something that works.........ANY home made recipes of stuff that works on the farm???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

J_T

How about that stuff they use on RR tyes ??? Get you two big tanks one that you can seal the end on put a presher gauge on it pump fluid out the other tank seal and light a fire under it and build up some presher use a pre set reliefe valve . Then drive to my house and we'll watch the 6 oclock news together :D :D
Jim Holloway

Cedarman

Illinois is between Mo and In.  Both states have some good cedar posts. Good red ones don't need treated. 

What kind of posts are you wanting to treat?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

I like the cedar idea also. Up here no one would consider using anything but cedar and them posts last for years. They used to use them on rail fences here between properties and they could be found and retraced over a 100 years after being installed.  :) Unfortunately, they became kindling wood for the stove when I was young.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

Cedarman
We have very little erc here, we have osage and black locust. I dont have any erc, osage or black locust. I do have lots mixed hardwoods that I can cut to dimension on my mill for free...hence the need for economical treatment .if there is such a thing anymore. :( >:( :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

Buzz, how many posts are you needing. 

I have to find out some more on the Black Locust trees the farmer is giving me but I bet we could cut almost all you need from Osage. It may take a few days to logg them and cut them but its possible.  Im cheap!  Food and blades:)

Cedarman

Kirk, I need beau coup black locust posts between 3" and 5" small end and a little over 8' long.  Can pick up.  Need ASAP  Anyone else got any?  Need about 500 to 600 all together.

Buzz-sawyer

Kirk
i have been thinkin on commin over and helpin you out with you work any how...sound like we may work some fun out of it ...Could bring along a rifle and do some tack driving to (not with mine) :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ironwood

Some old timers say to char the ends. I would follow that up with diesel/oil and than avoid sealing the bottom....ie no concrete on the bottom just gravel , if'in you need to crete them do a ring at he top. We use alot of Locust here as well. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

etat

Agree on the concrete part.  It'll trap moisture around the base of the post and rot it lots quicker.

Around here a locust will last a lot longer than a cedar post.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Cedarman

Peel them and char the bottom 3 or 4 feet. What the pioneers did.

Jason_WI

My grandpa soaked cedar fence posts in a wood barrel of saturated copper sulfate solution till the ends sticking out turned blue. You can get copper sulfate in 50# bags at any ag supply store. It is corrosive so use a plastic barrel if you try it.

Most of these posts are still solid after 50 years in the ground.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Cedarman

What is that much copper sulfate used for?

etat

Suppliment needed to add to fertilizer for some pasture ground for beef cows. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rod

I don'tknow if anyone said this or not.But you can but the post in a 55 gal drum filled with used motor oil and leve them in the oil for about 30 days.Then on the fence boards and the part of the post that didn't get oil you can spray or brush the oil on the rest of the fence.

The fence will last about 30 or more years

hiya

One time I put some white oak post in a barrow of 1/2 used motor oil and 1/2 creasoat. Took a 55 gal. drum filled it with post then put in oil-creasoat, lit a fire under it to cook out the water,then let it set a few days. The only thing is I moved to another state so I don,t know how well it worked.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Buzz-sawyer

hiya
If I could get some creosote...that would be the end of my search ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Frank_Pender

You can give these folks a call in Portland, Oregon; 1-888-888-6095.  The have a wood preservative that is approved by all government agencies and then some.

However, If you want to save dollars and no time you can split your White Oak (heart only) build an large fire with the limbs sand char the posts to the p[oint of almost on fire. 

I have posts on this tree farm that were installed after such treatmene that are sitll solid and were planted 75 years ago.   8)
Frank Pender

pigman

Quote from: Cedarman on April 28, 2005, 07:44:34 PM
What is that much copper sulfate used for?
When I was in the pig business, I bought 50 lbs at a time to put in my farm pond to control algae. The algea would stop up the filters in the water system.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jason_WI

We use copper sulfate on cows with hoof rot. Dig down to the abcess with a hoof knive then pack with copper sulfate. It is a fungicide.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

wiam

Jason beat me to it .  It is also used in foot baths for cattle.

Will

Ernie

I found when treating sheep and goat feet for foot rot, that melted petroleum jelly with coppersulfate and some old expired powdered antibiotics like tetramyicyn (spelling) worked into the trimmed feet worked perfectly as it tended to stick well.

We had over 1500 saanen milking goats as a recipient herd for our angora goat embryo transplant programme and our damp paddocks were a real problem for the feet.  We also put them through weekly footbaths with stones in the bottom for spreading the hooves and alternating weekly between copper and zinc sulphate was very effective.

Sure is great to be making sawdust instead 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

UNCLEBUCK

In Minnesota for about 30$ you can take the private pesticide applicators test , it comes through the us mail and a book to read and the test with the answers to be found throughout the book . The license is good for 3 years and then go to a farm/fertilizer place and they will order just about anything you need if the state allows and the list of chemicals that can be purchased is huge . Must be the same type of deal in other states happening
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Buzz-sawyer

Has anyone ever used coppersulfate on mixed hardwoods.................... ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on April 28, 2005, 06:08:26 PM
Kirk
i have been thinkin on commin over and helpin you out with you work any how...sound like we may work some fun out of it ...Could bring along a rifle and do some tack driving to (not with mine) :D :D :D

Buzz your welcome anytime!  I have several Osage to fell and/or skid out of the woods but not sure if we would get near a mile of fence posts.

How close you going to place them to each other.  Boards between or wire?

Guns are good.  Always bring guns....................................but then again we may not get any work done if got more guns ;D

Thank You Sponsors!