iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying tools from Jim Rogers ......

Started by TexasTimbers, April 27, 2005, 09:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I think it's just as important to give positive feedback about a product or service as it is to report negative experiences, and I'd like to let others coming after me who discover the Forum and might need some TFing hand tools, know about my experience with Jim.
First of all, I wanted to buy used tools of good quality because I prefer used hand tools when I can find them. I always search the flea markets when I have the opportunity for good deals on good tools. It's a rarity of course but sometimes you still get lucky.
Now that I needed some TFing hand tools I posted as much on our Wanted Forum, and was led to Jim Roger's List of Tools.
I perused them, and not really knowing what I needed I emailed Jim and told him as much. He responded that I need a 1 1/2" chisel, 2"chisel, a corner chisel, and a Slick. Didn't try to sell me the boat. Just the basics.
I recieved the items promptly, and they were sharp! Ready to use.
Now, let me tell you the pictures don't do them justice. These tools reek of tradition and heritage. Holding the well-worn, nicked, scuffed up yet in-great-shape tools sends you back in time and causes you to ponder the many, many joints that have been fashioned by these old tools. The slick I chose is awesome.
I do wish there was a way to know at least some of the history of each tool but inasmuch as he gets them from many differnet sources I'm sure, that's no doubt impossible to discover.
The handles themselves were new with new retaining rings on them, and the chisels themselves had been polished and are beautiful.
I'm very happy to have these fine tools and I was happy with the service provided. If you are considering using Jim for any of your hand tool needs I'd say don't be afraid at all.
I wanted to thank him openly on the Forum since had he disappointed me in any way  me I certainly would have said so on the Forum as well! ;D
Thanks Jim.
KJ.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

And oh yes, I even got a couple of unexpected free sawhorse designs. Nice touch.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Doc

I for one am glad to hear this, and figured as much. Jim is responsive with emails, and personal messages...very quick and well thought out answers. Eager to help out. I figured he would be that way with his sales of tools as well, but still good to read first hand info.

Post some pics of what you got.

Doc

raycon

Cool. Based on the quality of Jim's posts and his willingness to share I expected as much. Good to hear.
Lot of stuff..

submarinesailor

To echo what Doc, Kevjay and Raycon had to say about Jim.  While working with members of the TF guild at the Ferry farm raising.  I took the opportunity to ask several senior members if they knew him.  Boy, did they have some nice things to say about him.   ;D ;D ;D

Jim_Rogers

First of all, about the tools.
It's not all me, I have a partner in the tool business, Tom Perkins.
He finds the tools, cleans them, repairs them, and sharpens them.
I'm just the front man helping him sell these fine reconditioned tools as I meet so many timber framers at guild functions and conferences, timber framing schools, raisings, and forums.
So your praise is to him for these tools.
My pay is you using these tools to create timber frames that will last hundreds of years.
(And I get all my tools sharpened for free.)

Helping you here and at guild functions and workshops is what makes timber framing one of the most fun and rewarding things I do.
Passing on this knowledge that was almost lost from the old masters is how it has been done for thousands of years. Now with this information age we can pass it on even easier.
I love to teach and help.
By no means am I any great "old master" in the eyes of many of the guild members. To them I'm a relative new comer, and I've got a lot to learn.
But most of them are willing to teach me and I'm willing to pass it on to you.
I read books about barns and timber framing all the time.
I learn more every month, and pass it on.
Have fun, work safe, build frames.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Gilman

While were at it, Jim's TF prints are really good too.  I got a copy of his sawhorse prints at below reasonable cost.  I couldn't move my mouse for how much Jim requested.

Thanks again Jim for the high quality prints.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Zeke

Jim,

Would it be possible to get a copy of your sawhorse prints? Email me directly and let me know how much.

Zeke

Jim_Rogers

Tom my partner in the tool business read lots of post here at this forum and many others.
I sent him the link to this thread this morning after I found it.
Here is his email back to me:

QuoteJim,

That is great, i am happy he appreciates what we do to provide superior tools to those who need them. Thank him for me if you would!
Tom

And I would like to thank all who have purchased tools from us.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!