iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone here running a Logosol M7?

Started by WoodSmith, April 27, 2005, 12:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSmith

Looking at getting a portable mill for non-production milling/home use only.
Questions, concerns, pro's and cons.
Any and all info appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Engineer

Had one, sold it. 

Pros:  Will hold a pretty big log, cuts clean and straight, easy to adjust board thickness, very portable, lightweight, don't have to worry about changing bandsaw blades, cuts very accurately.  Excellent for cutting beams and posts.

Cons:  Noisy, smelly, slow, leaves big saw kerf = lot of waste, tough to cut anything smaller than 7' long, have to sharpen chain pretty often, bar size limits cut length. 

I would have kept mine, except that I needed a higher-production machine for cutting out a timberframe and the Logosol was just way too slow.  That, and I have a lot of short logs that were a massive pain to cut without fancy jigs.  That was the biggest negative in an otherwise decent mill.  I'd consider the Woodworker's Mill (the short M7) if you have short logs to mill up, and you can expand either of them with the same kit.

DonE911

I have one.  I love it, but everything Engineer said is fair.

I dont mind the smell or the noise and I love my chainsaws.  It's not as fast as alot of bandmills thats for sure, but fine for me when working alone most of the time.

Short logs can be a p.i.a., but I made up a table to goes between the legs and really have no problems with the shorter logs now. I dont do many short logs though. I cut them at least 9' if I can.

Just finished cutting up enough siding to cover an addition and I really didn't mind the speed of it.  I would simply cut one log and then go hang the material.  Took a couple days and I could cut and hang 40 to 50 1x6x8' boards in a day without too much effort if there wasn't to much trimming of the 8' length. This includes dragging the logs up out of the hollow with the atv, pressure washing the logs ect. although I would stage 4 logs at a time. I bought a second saw carriage and have an 066 rigged and ready to go in each one.  When the chain gets dull I simply slide on the second saw and keep cutting.   When both chains are dull I change the chains on both saws and repeat the process.  I'd still like to get more speed, not because I need it, but just "cuz I duz".

One thing I really like is that I'm not on the ground with the log and I dont have to push the saw.  Just walk along side and reel ( like fish'n ) the saw in. 

Its like 100lbs and easy to move for 2 people, one person can do it, but with the length its better to have that second person.

Figure the cost of a chain grinder in... you can sharpen by hand, but the grinder saves alot of time and you can more easily customize your angles which really helps with speed depending on the wood you are cutting.

Any other questions.. ask away, I'll do my best to answer.

WoodSmith

Thanks Engineer & Don.
Ya I underdstand about the speed, I have an alaska chain saw.
Don I like the sound of your setup with 2 saws and 4 chains and using a grinder. I recall when I used the Alaska how it really makes a difference what kind of edge and pitch you have on the tooth. Do you use those special rip chains?
It looks to me like the draw string for the power head might be troublesome and do you get fatigued running that little crank?
Do you use non staining bar oil?
Also what size bar are you using? and what power head do you use?
I really think it will be a way to "Git er dun"
Thanks again and I will definitely have other questions.

Engineer

You definitely have to use a rip chain.   I used a full chisel chain ground to zero degrees.

Draw string is not a problem.  I replaced my string with bright pink mason's twine so I could see it.  The string actually puts tension on the cutterhead and acts to limit your speed - you know you're cutting too fast if the string breaks....   :D   No problem with the crank. 

Regular bar oil, although you can get vegetable based blends in some places.  I suppose you could use corn oil or something if you were that concerned, but then again, a lot of bandsaw millers use a mix of bar oil and diesel to lube their blades.  It evaporates, and planes off once you finish the boards.

I had a Stihl 066 and both a 16" and 25" bar, but they sell them with Husky 385's or 395's now.  I think you can also get the really big Husky (3125?) but that's a bit overkill (and big $$$$).

Fla._Deadheader

DonE, where ya been, son??????  Hopin you would check in. How's the great cold North  ;D ;D :D :D :D  We needs an update  ;) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!