iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What says "QUACK" ?

Started by sprucebunny, April 26, 2005, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

But has no feathers ???

About 10 years ago I was walking in some woods and heard quacking . Knew there was a tiny pond in the woods and as I got close the quacking stopped but I'd heard no wings and there were no ducks ....???
It was a real mystery to me ;D

It wasn't till a couple years later that I found out about wood ducks...I mean frogs ;D
All that quacking still fascinates me. And here they are !

And this is a little pond they visit in the sping

In the background you can see seven of my twenty promising white pine  ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

etat

And a mess of fried up bullfrog legs is just pretty dang good eating. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Teri

Reminds me of a story my mom told every once in a while..When I was real little my dad and uncle went out and caught some frogs. They cooked them up and then neither one would eat them. Guess who got to be the first one to try them? ME.  :) They wanted to know what they taste like and I said Chicken ;D..Its a wonder I'm still around. No tellin what else they made me try that I don't know about.  :D :D

Stump Jumper

the spring peepers around here can be so noisey its ear piersing  :o

nice start on the white pine   8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

sprucebunny

Yes...the spring peepers can be loud. There are some places that I drive by that you can hear them going 50mph !  I'm going 50....I don't think they do ;D
I think you'd need alot of these to make a meal.
Here is a link with a little info and lots of pictures
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/wood1.htm

This link tells more , including that wood frogs do not live in the water all the time...they live in damp woods.
http://www.vernalpool.org/inf_wf.htm

Amphibians are the most threatened group of animals , according to some authorities but wood frogs are widely spread and uniquely adapted .

Norm

The reason the scientist think there aren't as many is because they all live at my pond next to the house. :D During warm spring weather the noise is almost deafening.

After I stocked it with bass the noise is less and the fish are fat. ;D

etat

QuoteIts a wonder I'm still around. No tellin what else they made me try that I don't know about.   

Teri, we uster do Jeremy, my youngest son, the same way!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Teri

Glad we could help you out!   ;D    Parents... sometimes I just don't get it. But I guess if I had kid I would probably do the same thing! :D :D

UNCLEBUCK

sprucebunny a week ago the whole shoreline was quackin here , never heard so many frogs ! Hey nice pine trees and country . Is that what it looks like out your back door ? Great place ! I can see where your cool machine would be needed there
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

This past Wednesday was the first I heard the little fellers singin, then we got snow.  :o

For every day
the frogs sing in April
they'll lie still in May

That's a tale from up here, but actually wood frogs can with-stand freezing.

Here's Jeff B's thread on the 'Little Fellers'

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7624.0
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

In the News:

LIMA, Peru (Reuters) - Peruvian officials saved some 4,000 endangered frogs from being whizzed into popular drinks after they were found hidden in an abattoir.

Frog cocktails are popular in the Andes because of their supposed aphrodisiac qualities. Shops in central Lima selling the drinks have tanks where customers can choose their frogs. ??? ???

SwampDonkey

Ck,

I think I'm with you on this. I just couldn't fathom consuming frog 'whatever it is' in my drinks.  ???  smiley_sick  smiley_confused  smiley_alcoholic_01  smiley_eek_dropjaw

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Teri

sawguy21

Teri, what if nobody told you they were there :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Teri

If it don't look good or smell good then I'm not trying it.  ;) :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Avoid taverns with low wattage/dimmed lights. What looks red could actually be green under the full light spetrum. :D

Teri

sprucebunny

I'll bet that "whizzed frog" breath ISN'T an aphrodisiac  ::) :D

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!