iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Layout??

Started by SawDust_Studios, April 25, 2005, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawDust_Studios

Ok, just poored our slab for kiln, it is 14 x 20, under a lean-to on the back of our shop. 
I'm debating on which way is best for the stacks to sit? Is it better for a long narrow stack or a short, fat one? 

Another thought I had was that could I divide the kiln so if I didn't have a full-load, I could easily do a half?  I'm buying a nyle-200, so it says the capacity is 2-4k bdft, I was thinking if I put the stacks in long ways, perhaps a 5ft x 20ft stack, I could place a removable divider of 3-4" insulation in the kiln to divide it.  Is this doable?  Would I need to double the fans or just leave them on one side?

Any comments or suggestions would be great?  I'll try to get pictures up of the area soon.

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

FeltzE

Dave,
If you put in kiln carts long ways will work fine, That's how I currently do it. Although I hook to a tractor to pull the cart out.  It will require additional concrete deck to run out on to.

Be aware that if you are considering hand loading ... expect to dread loading the kiln, it takes time and is often a warm place to work. Having the lumber orientated so that you can fork load the kiln is common in large units and will work quite effeciently for a small unit. Additionally having the lumber oriented parrallel to the door makes handloading with 2 people easier as you can grab the end of the board and stack it only a step or two away, much faster than running 8 or10 feet in with a board then back out to get another.

Eric

SawDust_Studios

Thanks Eric,

I considered placing it in so I could grab with my forks on tractor, but I figured I have to sticker, unsticker at some point and I will be likely kilning for other people.  I like the idea of carts, at least to get them out of the way and load/unload out of the kiln.

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!