iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

McCulloch timber bear chainsaw

Started by twoodward15, April 24, 2005, 01:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

I know, I know, it's a McCulloch.  I picked this saw up yesterday for free. It looks to be in nice shape with a 20 inch bar.  It's a project saw.  Unfortunately I can't find any information about this saw.  Is there a site that has model numbers to tell you what year or how big the motor is?
model number is 60013414
serial number is 11-027462
Anyone got one or had one and want to comment on it?  Is it a turd or a gem?  Yeah, probably a turd, but it's free and  "if it's free it's for me" !!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ehp

I have ran a few , it did cut the block off, I have to give that to them but pack a lunch cause you are going to have lots of time to  eat it  :D

twoodward15

excellent website Jeff. Thanks.  I'll try to get her running this week and report back.  Thanks!

twoodward15

ehp,  I guess you're saying it is underpowered???  Probably not a good idea to put a longer bar on it?  I'm gonna bring it in to work tomorrow to get it running  (when we don't have airplanes to fix we can do home projects if the place is all clean and ready to go).  I'll have to find a big log to try it out on.  Since you've run one, can you tell me if the kill switch has 3 positions or 2.  This one has 3 positions and I think that is probably part of the problem.  Seems to me that there should only be 2  (on and off).  I've never seen it before, maybe someone replaced it with the wrong switch or something. 

twoodward15

Hmmm, where to begin.  I did the usual disassembly for cleaning and inspecting everything (all the plastic crap and covers.  First thing I found was the fuel line not hooked up and kinked.  Took everything apart and cleaned entire saw.  Dried and put everything back on the saw and took her out for a test run.  Had to use the old gas down the carb trick.  It would fire but not stay running.  Took it back in and took the carb apart to check everything.  Everything looked fine and clean except the needle wouldn't move very well.  I pulled it out, wiped it down real good and put it all back together.  Put some more gas down the carb and she fired right up.  I let it run for a minute and shut it down to put the bar and chain on it.  Got everything set up properly and took it back out.  One pull and it was up and running.  Adjusted the high speed.  It seemed like it was only turning about half what it should have been.  I had to turn the idle down just a hair and I was in business.  Now I just need to get it sharpened up tomorrow and find a nice size log to try it out on!!!   Not bad for a free saw.  I figure I've got no more than 3 hours into it (dragging my feet cuz there's nothing else to do) and I got paid while doing it.  Can't beat that...

jjmk98k

Got paid while doing it....

must be a GOVERNMENT worker  ;D
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

twoodward15

23 whatever an hour  WG-10 step 5!!!!!

jjmk98k

Well, it is something to be proud of, but don't brag about it too much, too many people feel us Govt workers are already overpaid.

but I will say, it is always nice to have a little down time and work on a home project once in a while.

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

twoodward15

You bet.  we've been working solid, coming in early, going home late since the beginning of December.  Yesterday was our first down day, today is our second and last.  We'll be busy again tomorrow.

jjmk98k

well then, you earned some down time! I'll get mine in the middle of may....

We been getting ready for our ORI which starts next week, so life stinks right about now here at Willow Grove.

Jim

twoodward15

We just got through our UCI last month.  It's so nice to not worry about that crap for a few more years!!!!  Good luck in the ORI!

ehp

The saws that I ran were not to much on the power level, I guess I was thinking they should of had more for the size and weight of the saw but really they are not that many cc just big on the outside

twoodward15

yeah, it's only 55cc'c.  It seems to run good no load, but we'll see what happens when I get it into a big log.

texas64

Quote from: twoodward15 on April 24, 2005, 01:50:13 PM
I know, I know, it's a McCulloch.  I picked this saw up yesterday for free. It looks to be in nice shape with a 20 inch bar.  It's a project saw.  Unfortunately I can't find any information about this saw.  Is there a site that has model numbers to tell you what year or how big the motor is?
model number is 60013414
serial number is 11-027462
Anyone got one or had one and want to comment on it?  Is it a turd or a gem?  Yeah, probably a turd, but it's free and  "if it's free it's for me" !!!!
Y'all guys ever find any information on the McCulloch Timber Bear Chainsaw?   I came across a website, Barretts Small Engine repairs, which has a Ton of manuals for all sorts of Small Engine Powered equipment.  

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/mcculloch/chainsawpartslist.html

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/mcculloch/parts.html

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/

Lots of FREE Information on this website.  

My Timber Bear Model #13-600041-34.  I'm still working on mine.  Wish me luck.
Hello from Texas

Al_Smith

The so called cinder blocks,3.7 cubic PM 610,Timberbear  ,PM 650 are a tad bit heavy but as a fire wooder they do okay .Actually for no more money than they sell for not a bad choice .
If there is a weak link it would be the impulse operated oiler .Often times a tank full of kerosene or diesel fuel ran through the oiling system would flush out the system .
McCulloch made a lot of them and there are still a lot of them running yet today .In spite of the fact this model has a lot of plastic they are pretty tough saws .I have three,mine,my sons and my departed fathers he did a little tweek job on .Dad had a bit of "hot rodder " in him .Perhaps I inherited that . :D
So then it comes to a choice for somebody who just cuts a little fire wood or a fence row to clean up .You could hop on down to your friendly chainsaw dealer who sells some make of orange saws .Plunk down $600-$700-$800 for a nice shiney new saw or deal with a slightly slower older yellow saw you picked up at a  yard sale for 50-75 dollars .----better still find a free one  8)

Thank You Sponsors!