iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer chain turner

Started by Faron, April 23, 2005, 11:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Have any Woodmizer owners looked into adapting the chain type turner like is on the LT 70 to a LT40 hydraulic?  I don't use my log loader any more, so would have that valve available to turn the chain.  MY biggest doubt is whether the hydraulic system on the LT 40 is high capacity enough to operate the hydraulic motor that must turn the chain.   I guess if one wanted the chain bad enough, I could add a secondary hydraulic system just to power the turner.  Also, is the chain better about  not gouging high value boards occasionally than the claw type turner?  Anybody thought about it, tried it, or rejected it?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Bibbyman

Have you got the newer duel-plane clamping system on your Wood-Mizer?

We've found turning smaller cants with it faster and cause less damage than the claw. 

Is you WM a Super HD or Standard HD? 

The Supers have two pumps and the total GPM flow is double that of Standard.   I think the LT70 pumps are a little faster than the Super.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Standard hyd has 2 gal per min pump
Super Hyd has 2, 2 gal per min pumps as does the LT70 The LT70 has a different valve body set up.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Faron

Mine is a standard LT 40 with the old style clamp.  I could pretty easily add another hydraulic system to power a turner and log deck.  All the features on the new mills kind of makes me think about adding some of the features or trading.  Hmm, Super 40 or (gulp) LT70?  ::) ??? Better just put down the magazines and shut off the computer and get back to work!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Gilman

Faron,
Instead of the chain turner, I'd switch my clamp over to the two axis clamp.  As far as added function you'll get more bang for your buck with the two axis clamp verses a chain turner.  The chain turners can also really tear up your cants, even more so than the claw turner.  My sixteen cents worth.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Faron

Thanks, Gilman, I think I will look into that.

Duncan

I agree with gillman,

The double axis clamp would be much more bang for the buck.  Having sawed with an LT 40 super and currently running an LT 70 I find that the chain turner is great on the logs but I rarely use it on cants because it tears up the cant extremely easily.

Good luckl,

Kelly
Kelly

ronwood

I would agree with Gilman and Duncan statements. Two axis clamps works great for flipping a cant. Also helps in holding down a cant that bows up in the middle.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 24, 2005, 08:57:48 AM
Have you got the newer duel-plane clamping system on your Wood-Mizer?

We've found turning smaller cants with it faster and cause less damage than the claw. 

I agree with me.... ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gary_C

Good point there Bibbyman.   ;D

But you forgot to say that you better not get in a hurry and forget  to put the side supports up.   :)

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Faron

I wonder how much fabrication would be involved in putting a dual plane clamp on an old mill?

MartyParsons

It can be done. Best thing is to go an measure a newer LT40 you will need to cut the frame  ???. You will also need to think about how you are going to control the other clyinder.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Faron

Thanks, Marty.  I guess I can control my other cylinder with the valve for my log loader.  We don't use it any more.  Cuttin' the frame makes me kind of skittish, though.  I'll have to get a good look at one and think abut it a while. :P

raycon

Faron,
I thought about making that mod.  The way I'd do it is weld  in the  U shaped jog first --  then cut the existing frame portion out. I have not taken it as far as measuring fits yet. I emailed woodmizer for a cost quote (followup = $1300+) to buy the hardware.  If I'm lucky maybe they'll supply a set of prints(followup= no definitely an unsupported mod to the mill) for the clamp and mounting area  so I can figure out how much work it really will be.
I'm not sure if the outer rail is not beefier on newer mills to accomodate the verticle load the 2 stage clamp exerts when used to flip a cant (followup =No that mod was put in effect before the 2 stage clamp).   I've been using a new super as my comparison  mill.

Lot of stuff..

rs1626

I am in the process of making chain style turner and 2 plane clamp to add to my lt40 manual with no mods. to frame i will try to get pictures posted soon

Thank You Sponsors!